Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMäen
New Contributor I

Can I use Adrenalin drivers (compatible according to AMD) instead of Intel-provided (older) AMD drivers? (NUC8i7HVK)

I recently came across a post on another forum that mentioned that Hades Canyon/RX Vega M GH is currently supported by AMD Adrenalin drivers. In other words, you could forgo the older AMD driver (18.2.2) offered by DSA/Intel Downloads and get the driver straight from AMD's website (Adrenalin 19.2.3) . I checked it and it is mentioned in the Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition Release Notes that RX Vega M GH is indeed compatible.

I uninstalled the Intel-provided AMD driver, rebooted and installed the latest Adrenalin drivers. Everything went smoothly and there were no issues whatsoever. I've read that with these newer Adrenalin drivers there might be noticeable performance boosts in games so that's great. Intel's DSA program does recognize the Adrenalin drivers but informs me that I'm using custom drivers that in some cases can lead to compatibility issues. However, DSA is still giving me the green 'up-to-date' message.

Is there any downside in using Adrenalin drivers instead of the Intel-provided AMD drivers? On one hand, it's of course always best to rely on the drivers offered by the manufacturer. On the other hand, if newer drivers with better performance are available and the component manufacturers says they are compatible, why wouldn't you use them instead.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
AlHill
Super User

I am told that the AMD and Intel graphics on the hades canyon work together, where AMD provides the graphics and Intel provides the encoding and decoding. With adrenalin drivers, I would be worried about compatibility, despite what AMD says. I personally would not do that to my HIC8i7HVK.

Have you actually observed the performance boost?

Why wouldn't Intel provide these drivers if they are compatible/work? It is all about time, testing, and cost.

Doc

JMäen
New Contributor I

Well, many refer to Hades Canyon and other gaming NUCs as niche products. I guess the fear is that while Intel might regularly update its own NUC-regular components, they might not do the same for AMD graphics that can only be found in Hades Canyon. Take Apple for example... They might update OS X drivers but as for Bootcamp/Windows, it is well-known that updating those drivers has been less of a priority for them (which has lead to people using 3rd party modded graphics drivers instead of the official ones).

I mean the latest Intel-provided driver is 18.2.2. The Adrenalin driver version of that driver was released a little over a year ago (later part of February 2018) and since then it has received 25 updates with the 19.2.3 being the 25th. It is possible that the Intel-provided AMD driver 18.2.2 is actually a more recent version of Adrenalin and not Adrenalin 18.2.2 but then again why would Intel use the same version numbers as AMD uses in their Adrenalin drivers unless Intel is basing their optimized AMD driver to the specific Adrenalin driver. As I understand it, the fact that RX Vega M GH is supported by Adrenalin drivers is somewhat recent change so it might explain why Intel has only optimized the older drivers (that as regular Adrenalin drivers did not support RX Vega M GH) and not the recent ones.

I've not yet had the chance to test if there has been a performance boost. I've been away from PC gaming for a many years but I do know that GPU drivers can make a huge difference which is why it is important to keep them up-to-date. I found out about the drivers via a reddit thread where a number of people went and installed the latest Adrenalin drivers. At least one of them reported that not only did he see a 17% performance boost (which was promised in the release notes) but that the boost was visible and not something that can only be determined via benchmarking.

As system stability and low temps (=low noise) is important to me, I will keep track of any errors and irregularly high temps that my occur using the installed Adrenalin driver and will uninstall and go back to Intel-provided AMD drivers it they occured. Otherwise, the fact that AMD is officially supporting the NUC-speficic RX Vega M GH is enough for me to warrant using better drivers.

tdav22
New Contributor I

Im about 3 days from rage quitting and doing a roll back. im tired of this new 18.12.2 driver locking the system up everytime i alt tab out of a game.

when you went to the amd website what driver did you use? the vega? rx series?

JMäen
New Contributor I

At first I thought I should choose a specific product and was puzzled by the fact that RX Vega M GH isn't on the list. However, I was advised by folk at reddit to just choose any of the Vega alternatives (used the search bar above the product alternatives, searched for Vega and chose Vega 56 from the list).

tdav22
New Contributor I

Welp, i rolled back to 18.9.1 I got tired of the system lockup every time i alt tabbed out of a game.

JMäen
New Contributor I

What made you not try out the drivers from AMD website (Adrenalin 19.2.3)?

tdav22
New Contributor I

Honestly i didnt want to risk any further instability at the moment. I have had some problems where radeon drivers will cripple my pc with hyperV running. While i have the ability to re-image for a backup instantly I just dont want to. Probably when i have a few hours later this week ill try it out. Will let you know.

JMäen
New Contributor I

Understandable. However, I can tell you that I feel the driver from AMD's website seems very stable (I ran a whole bunch of benchmark software last night without any issues). In fact, using Intel's 18.9.1, at one point I was experiencing this weird green pixelation at one spot of the desktop area (roughly the size of my fist). I haven't experienced this with the driver from AMD's website. I'm done using Intel's AMD drivers for sure.

tdav22
New Contributor I

Tried the vega 56 driver for the last 2 days, was all fine until the amd driver just took a dump and locked the system. I hope these issues get worked out soon, i cannot stand these system lockups.

Right now stuck on 18.9.1

LeonWaksman
Super User

For your information the latest Radeon Driver in INtel's Download site is Radeon Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.2. I've Just downloaded and installed it together with the Intel Graphic Driver ver. 25.10.100.6519.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28600/Radeon-RX-Vega-M-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-b...

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28599/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-64-bit-for-I...

Leon

JMäen
New Contributor I

Sorry, I meant 18.12.2 but misread the version number. Still, it's six updates behind the current Adrenalin drivers (the non-Intel version was released in the first of December 2018). I did update the Intel Graphic Driver, though, via DSA. Well, as long as the temps are alright and there are no error screens, what's the worst thing that could happen with using the non-Intel Adrenalin drivers?

LeonWaksman
Super User

"(the non-Intel version was released in the first of December 2018). " The Intel version of Radeon Adrenalin Driver was released on 06-Dec-18. During installation of this driver (downloaded from Intel site) you can see following message (see the attached image). So, it's looks that this is quite new driver.

Leon

JMäen
New Contributor I

I did a bit of testing. I've now tried three drivers for the GPU. Older Intel AMD driver 24.20.11026.1, the latest AMD Adrenalin driver 19.2.3 with support for RX Vega M HG and a promise of 17% performance boost and the latest Intel AMD driver 18.2.2. I used Geekbench benchmarks to test the performance (not ideal but I had it installed). Compared to the older Intel driver, the AMD Adrenalin scored slightly higher in Single-Core, lower in Multi-Core and was significantly better in the GPU-related Open-CL benchmark (Intel driver 87097 vs. AMD driver 88529). I then decided to try out the current, newly-released Intel driver 18.2.2. The benchmarks showed that Multi-Core and Open-CL results were not only clearly lower than with the AMD driver but also lower than with the older Intel driver. Only the Single-Core score was slightly better than the AMD driver's score.

I also looked at the GPU temps and saw no real-life difference between the three drivers.

So... I decided to install the AMD Adrenalin 19.2.3 drivers back. They offer the best peformance according to the benchmark, are officially compatible with RX Vega M GH according to AMD release notes and do not seem to cause any errors or higher temps whatsover. Futhermore, with AMD Adrenalin drivers you get settings you don't get with the Intel variants so there's that as well. There's even an update function which is nice. Obviously I will prioritize stability and low temps but unless the AMD Adrenalin drivers do not cause any issues, I see no reason not to use them, especially when in games such as Witcher 3 every bit of performance boost is a welcomed one.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

You should try something that requires DLNA. I do not think that this will work if you use the generic drivers from AMD as it will not be able to switch to the Intel graphics to do the DLNA verification.

...S

JMäen
New Contributor I

I'm definitely sticking with the Adrenalin drivers from AMD website. I decided to do a bit of benchmarking yesterday and ran benchmarks like Geekbench, Cinebench and 3DMark (Time Spy). Had no issues whatsoever. It's a pity I hadn't done this with the Intel Adrenalin driver installed as it would've been an insteresting comparison (especially in terms of 3DMark scores). As I mentioned earlier, I did have the chance to compare Geekbench scores and the driver from AMD's website bested the current Intel Adrenalin driver and it's predecessor (which not only scored better than the current Intel driver but according to a user in this thread is more stable).

By the way, I did the benchmark because I wanted to find out what the effect of disabling Turbo Boost (which I had done to make sure temps are low) have. CPU tests showed that there is a definate advantage of having Turbo Boost enabled. However, graphics test indicated that Turbo Boost might affect games that much. Anyway, I did leave it enabled for the time being but while my desktop-use temps are pretty much the same (hovering at 48-54 degrees), I am noticing that the blowers become audible for 2-10 seconds every now and then (which did not happen when Turbo Boost was disabled). As I'm an occasional gamer, I might end up disabling it once more.

Folks at reddit feel that not everyone in the Intel forums might not know that the current AMD Adrenalin driver 19.2.3 is actually the first driver to officially support the Hades Canyon GPU (RX Vega M GH).

BTate1
Beginner

@JMäen​ If I may ask, how were you able to install this adrenaline driver from AMD. When I download and install the package for ANY Vega product, upon install I get Error 186 (I think) which tells me it cannot continue as it cannot locate supported graphics. It is detected as a Vega 56 and we know this is actually the mobile chipset or Vega M... I have GH not GL. I'm needing to install this as I'm attempting to use with VR (the main purpose and selling point of this unit) and I'm not able to use ReLiveVR because its not an option in the AMD drivers. How exactly did Intel expect us to play with SteamVR games?

JMäen
New Contributor I

I have the GH variant as well. The installation process was very straighforward and having installed several Adrenalin drivers straight from AMD's website by now, I have never had any installation errors. Here's my process...

1) Uninstall the current AMD/Adrenalin driver (obviously you need to leave the Intel HD Graphics driver alone) (I recommend using an app that scans for leftovers such as the free Revo Uninstaller)

2) Reboot

3) Download the new driver (AMD Drivers and Support -> Graphics -> Radeon RX Vega series -> Vega 56)

4) Install it

5) Done

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @BTate1​ 

This is an old already closed post. You should open a new thread of yours. Describe the hardware configuration (computer model) and software.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

These drivers installed just fine for me. Perhaps you are selecting the wrong ones? Do not use their detection agent.

...S

BTate1
Beginner

Thanks all. This was on me, I hadn't disabled the Intel GPU and enabled SGX. Once I did, this installed just fine and then I was able to configure AMD ReLive for the Vega GPU. Well done and thank you!