Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12323 Discussions

Can NUC be operated from a straight 12V DC Supply?

RMogf
Beginner

Hi, I've got a Intel Nuc NUC10i7FNH which I use for controlling my astronomy kit (telescope, camera, mount etc). This is normally used at home so the standard 19V AC/DC power supply that comes with the NUC works fine. However, I'd like to take the NUC and use it to run everything in a remote location - I won't have access to AC power but have a large power bank that provides a protected 12V (max 20amp) supply. Does anyone know if this will be a suitable input to power the NUC or does it have to have a 19V supply?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

May be it will work, however I suggest to buy a 12V to 19V converter. This is an example and this is an other one. Or smaller one.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, it will NOT work. The FN NUCs require a fixed 19V (+/- 10%) input; they will NOT work with a 12V input. If you want to use a 12V battery, then you MUST use a DC-DC "buck" converter to generate a 19V output. I am a fan of the smart converter that Leon provided as his first example. It can take into account variance in the battery output and guarantee a smooth 19V output. I am unsure the other examples can provide this capability. Remember the rule: You get what you pay for.

...S

mstriebeck
Beginner

Hi,
Thanks for the link - I need to do the same thing (powering a NUC from a 12V battery when I use my telescope in the field).

Unfortunately, the converter that you linked is out of stock. Can you recommend another one (I found some whose specs look correct, but none said "NUC" - and I don't trust myself when it comes to power supplies

Thanks

Mark

n_scott_pearson

Well, there are lots of basic Step-Up 12V-to-19V Converters around. You need one with 6.32A (120W) or better output (for the FN NUCs). Here are some I found on Amazon: 

Unfortunately, I cannot vouch for any of these; I have not seen or tried any of them. Your other option is to ask Mini-Box if they have any recommendations.

Hope this helps,

...S

mstriebeck
Beginner

Thank you Scott.

Yes, I guess I'll ask Mini-Box. I like the idea of having a smart converter that deals with any power fluctuation. But if not, I'll get one of these.

Thanks

Mark

n_scott_pearson

Yea, none of the ones I saw on Amazon were as smart as the DC-DC-NUC. I would hope they could point you to something as good.

...S

mstriebeck
Beginner

I haven't heard back form mini-box. But I guess this one would work too (even though it doesn't say NUC explicitly): https://www.mini-box.com/DCDC-USB

n_scott_pearson

That one looks pretty good too.

...S

AwakeningStar
Beginner

Hi @RMogf,

I'm an Amatour Astrophotografer as well.

The answer to your question is YES you can power your NUC directly with 12 volts!!!

But ensure your battery does not go below 11V !!!

One of my telescope setups has one NUC (attached image).

In the image, you can see above the telescope one Pegasus Controller (light blue rectangular box) and in front a gray NUC box (with a small spherical speaker on top, very useful to inform when the shooting session ended).

My Setup is powered by a Car battery that you can see on the ground near the tripod legs.

It all depends on your Power source and your setup consumption, to insure that the voltage does not go below the 11V.

I have upgraded my camera with a ZWO 6200 with a 7 filter wheel and offAxis guiding camera and the power consumption has increased a bit. Only on very humid nights, when my anti-fog heater bands needed to work more (you can see one band in the picture attached to the due shield in the front of the telescope) and my battery started to reach lower voltage levels at the end of the night.

Due to that I also decided to play safe and buy one step-up voltage regulator (12v to 19V,  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/DC-12V-to-19V-DC-1A_60669717378.html). The image below was before i bought the Step-up voltage regulator.

Yes, I tested my NUC at home with the battery and the telescope setup to see if it was stable.

Kept the telescope running (simulated start tracking to keep the mount running) all night (more than 8 hours) and went to sleep, and in the morning checking to see if all was still running.

After that, I used the telescope in the configuration shown in the picture below for almost 2 years.

I hope I helped.

Clear Skyes,

Joao Vaz Martins

f8dda5e8-fc61-4b38-b49c-88cb2a0b5234.JPG

AwakeningStar
Beginner

@RMogf 

cheaper if you like a little more hand work (adapt a acrilic box)

the XL6009 with LED display to show the output voltage costs less than 4 dollars (URL below)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32762092828.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.408adbdcnAVmVA&algo_pvid=...