Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HGrah
Beginner

Can USB and SATA Header +5 Power Rails be Merged?

For Intel NUC7i7DNHE, is it possible to somehow combine/merge the 5V power rail from the two internal USB 2.0 ports and the SATA power header to get a total of 5V 3A power source?

If they cannot be directly merged into a single power rail, would a Current Balancing Controller be sufficient to combine both power sources?

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello laquebrada,

Thank you for joining the Intel Community Support.

I will forward this inquiry to the proper department so that we can provide a detailed answer about this issue.

I will get back to you as soon as I have any update.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello laquebrada,

I am just following up on this inquiry. Please provide the following information:

-What is the purpose for this type of modification?

-Are you developing hardware?

Wanner G.
HGrah
Beginner

We are developing hardware using this NUC. The solution has a complex power supply topology, and we would like to simplify it. Combining these +5V power supplies into a single power supply would allow us an opportunity to derive all our power supplies from a single +5 root.

Thanks for your help.

Harry

idata
Community Manager

Hello laquebrada,

Thank you for your response.

I will get back to you as soon as I have any update.

Wanner G.

Ronny_G_Intel

Hello laquebrada,

I work for Intel Customer Support and I have to tell you that there is no easy way other than a physical change on the product to combine/merge the 5V power rail from the two internal USB 2.0 ports and the SATA power header. This would imply a product redesign if we are thinking of doing this at the product level.

I see a lot of different devices and adapters on the market all the time but I am not aware of any cable/adapter capable of doing what you are trying to accomplish either.

Regards,

Ronny G

HGrah
Beginner

Thanks for your reply,

I need to clarify the application. I will create a PCB which merges the 5V power from two internal USB 2.0 ports and the SATA power header. What I need to know is if these 3 voltages are created from the same power regulator. If they are, then they have identical voltages, and can be combined into a single physical power rail by my design. If not, then I will need to create a different design for my PCB. I do not want Intel to change anything. Are the 5V power from these 3 headers generated by the same regulator (or LDO)?

Thanks,

Harry

idata
Community Manager

Hello laquebrada,

Thank you for your response.

I will forward it to the proper department so that we can provide a detailed answer about it.

Wanner G.

idata
Community Manager

Hello laquebrada,

Thank you for your patience.

The USB 2.0 ports and the SATA power header are connected to the same regulator. However, the SATA power goes through an extra switch which turns it off after S3.

Regarding your question about combining into a single power rail, it probably would not be a good idea since you will be cutting the current limit in half when the system hits S3. If you are doing this because of the current draw, there is a +5V and +5VSB pin on the front panel header. You can try the +5VSB pin if you want to keep using the USB headers or you can try +5V pin if you prefer SATA.

It is worth mentioning that this is not supported and that warranty may be voided.

Wanner G.