Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can someone guide me installing an NUC6i5SYH BIOS Update Please?

Jump to solution

I understand my NUC6i5SYH which you folks helped me to build needs an urgent BIOS Update.

I have used this machine as my daily workhorse and been well pleased with it and don't want to hurt it!

This evening, I was Googling to see if it would likely run Davinci Resolve 16 when I stumbled across a blog post on "Techsterweb.com" dated Dec 2019 alerting me to an "urgent" firmware advisory!

This is something I dread doing and really need step by step help to achieve it without doing irreparable damage!

I'm being directed to this web page 

Can anybody help me?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry for the delay, ...life interfered with what's important!

Yes, the tool says all drivers are up to date, but that is itself a contradiction, since by it's own admission, the first driver failed to install resulting in the message saying the system was not modified!

That error message was headed "Intel(R) Network connections Wizard", so evidently it wasn't a graphics driver which failed to install.

If it was one of the three you mentioned in your last post, by elimination the Bluetooth driver that the Tool selected, did install and of the two which remain, the nearest by description would be the Ethernet (LAN)  Network Connection Driver, as per attached screenshot.

...does my attempt at logical thought stack up?

six-h_0-1605743198231.jpeg

Network connection driver.JPG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.
In addition please run the IDSA and click on Save Report (on the L.H. panel). Please attach the report file to your post
Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon, sorry that I'm proving to be a difficult case!

The site wouldn't let me attach the IDSA Report in ".html file",  so I've saved it as a ".docx" which is readable this end, hope it makes sense at your end!

Hmm, "Computer says No!"

Taken me an hour, but I managed to stitch it together as a .jpg!

Just had a look through the SSU Report, ...not that it imparts anything to the likes of me, other than "fear" at so many apparent errors and internal problems being silently sorted!

I did notice it complains about being not correctly shut down, and some "unexpected terminations", I think that was when I got the timing wrong attempting to enter BIOS!

What does mystify me are the several references to SKYPE, since I don't have a webcam attached to the machine and have only once opened the App, out of interest. Maybe that caused it to be on the startup list?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Your computer looks to be updated correctly. In the nearest future, Windows Update will offer update from currently installed version 2004 to the latest version 20H2.

To remove Skype form the Start, right click on Taskbar, next open Task Manager (click on More details in the bottom). Click on the Startup tab and disable Skype. 

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks Leon.

Just checked Skype as directed, it is already listed as "Disabled", so I have no idea why it keeps recurring in that report.

Also find it odd that with regard to the driver update which was aborted, IDSA contradicts it's self confirming that my system was not changed, followed by the notice that all is up to date!

...what about the driver it failed to install?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Much Googling later I think I've sorted Skype out!

Settings > Privacy > Background Apps, uncheck Skype.

I wasn't aware that it had been starting in the first place, so I doubt I'll "feel the benefit" as they say.

Just good to know it's not a problem any more!

Similarly with the errant driver, all seems to be working fine and if the IDSA is happy, I'll trust it's judgement.

Thanks Leon.

0 Kudos