Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can't Access or Update BIOS on NUC 6i3SYH

I've got an older NUC (that's new to me) that won't respond to a USB keyboard. According to the official Intel support, the correct play is to update or reset the BIOS (as the USB might be turned off or something)

When I use the "power-button method" I can get to the selection screen where I can either press F4 to reset the BIOS or F7 to update it. The keyboard works here, but when I select either option all that happens is a blank screen (I'm using the HDMI output.)

If I use the security-jumper method (i.e. remove the jumper, plug in a FAT32 flashdrive with the BIOS file on it) nothing happens and it still tries to boot like normal.

What am I missing?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. While you see the Power Button Menu, can you see line [F3] Disable Fast Boot? If the answer is yes, press F3.
  2. Prepare USB fully formatted to FAT32 (do not use Linux or MAC machine for formatting). Save the SY0072.bio on this USB. Insert this USB into rear USB port or in front USB port with yellow color. Power ON your NUC and the Bios recovery should start within 30 - 60 sec.
  3. Any way, with Security Jumper removed, your NUC shouldn't boot to O.S., even if it doesn't find the Bios file (i.e. the port is not working). In this case it should boot into Configuration Menu. If it is booting into O.S., you have other problem. I would start in this case with disconnecting the CMOS battery for 15 minutes. You need to rremove the board to do this.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the reply Leon!

After grappling with your reply for a bit, I eventually figured out what was going on.

If I left the machine sitting long enough it would eventually arrive at the selected screen (i.e. F4, F7, F10.) There was lots and lots of trial and error with Windows install Media to try and get it to boot, but eventually I figured out that the SSD in the thing was totally fried. As soon as I took it out and put in a different SSD, all of the hanging and weird blank screens and failure to respond to keyboard and mouse etc. etc. disappeared.

I now have it up and running with a replacement SSD. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

O.K. I'm glad that you solved this problem. I didn't understand correctly your post. I understand that your NUC is booting into Windows and you have problem with the USB ports only.

Regards

Leon

0 Kudos