Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Can't get to power button menu after enabling secureboot

Hello. I cannot get any response out of my NUC8i7HVK after configuring secureboot on arch linux. I created/enrolled keys and signed GRUB by following the instructions here. After enabling secure boot in the bios, all I get now is a black screen. No video output and no response to keyboard. Seems to be reading the disk.

I followed the instructions here for prompting the power button menu by either holding the button until it turns amber or removing the security jumper and installing a bios off of USB. Nothing happens. Help me please.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Disconnect the Power Adapter.
  2. Remove the upper cover and the LED Panel.
  3. Remove the yellow Bios Security Jumper. See the page 46 in the Technical Product Specification.
  4. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON your NUC (remove all devices from the USB ports, leave only keyboard and mouse). NUC should boot into Configuration Menu (as described on page 47 in TPS).

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I just did exactly as you said. Still getting a black screen. ​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Using Microsoft Media Creation Tool, prepare Windows installation USB.
  2. Disconnect the CMOS battery connector and reconnect it after 15 minutes.
  3. Remove the System SSD.
  4. Insert the Windows USB in the front right (yellow) USB port.
  5. Power ON you NUC. It should boot from this USB.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

This al​so did not work, unfortunately.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @MMcCu10​ 

1. You wrote: "Seems to be reading the disk.". That means that the Power Button LED and the 3 little LEDs are illuminated?
  2. Try power ON your NUC with all external devices disconnected - disconnect the keyboard and the mouse. Disconnect any USB HUB and devices.
  3. Connect other monitor.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Ok. Got nothing out of it. Is it supposed to just reboot when the light turns amber? ​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

See the attached video I've prepared for you. On this video you may see the LEDs activity during boot process, with only Power Supply connected:

• at the beginning Only the Power Button LED (Blue) and the R.H. green LED (CPU activity) are illuminated.
  • after few seconds the left red LED is blinking (this is drive activity)
  • the middle green LED is (network activity) is OFF in this case, since I've disconnected the network cable and the WiFi is also OFF.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Right. Mine does that when I just leave it alone. But there's no POST or video out of any kind. I'm pretty sure I've gone and messed something up because I can't get her the recovery process to start.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

So, if you see the LEDs act I on my video (i.e. the red LED is blinking), it means that your NUC is working, passing the POST and booting from drive. You can't see the video output. Use an other monitor (for example TV if you don't have other computer monitor ). Use other cable and other video output.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Ok. But I've used every monitor I own.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

The problem in your NUC started after configuring secure boot on Linux. We are not supporting Linux O.S. (which is not supported O.S. for NUC8i7HVK) in this forum and at least my knowledge in Linux is limited. It will be wise to ask question Archlinux community how to disable Secure boot and UEFI.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Just so we're on the same page. I had been able to configure secure boot for arch before. The only difference this time is that I enrolled a custom platform key into firmware. I believe this is a firmware implementation issue.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi MMcCu10,

I work for Intel Customer Support and after reading this post and all the recommendations kindly provided by Leon (thank you for that), I would recommend that you replace this unit.

Also as Leon mentioned, Arch* Linux* is not supported by Intel, it may work as many other unsupported Operating Systems but we don't know if situations like this may happen and we have no plans to further explore this Hardware/OS combination.

If you need further support to have this unit replaced, please reach out to our customer service to evaluate possible replacement options. Please use either Chat or Phone options, see here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html#@7 and make reference to case 4557787.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello MMcCu10

We would like to know if you were able to follow Ronny's advice to contact Intel® Customer Support. If you need further assistance please let us know in order to evaluate possible replacement options and please provide the contact information details we will request through a private message.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos