Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Can't seem to get 2x M.2s working JBOD in a NUC8i7HVK.

Both M.2s appeared as options to install Windows to, but now that Win10 is installed, the second M.2 doesn't appear. The M.2s are 250+500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Is the second SSD recognized in BIOS? If yes, follow the next steps to initialize it.
  2.  Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Disk Management

• If you don't see the new SSD drive in Disk Management, press Action in menu and then Rescan Discs.
  •    If your see the new drive but it is not initialized, Right-click the drive marked as "Unknown" and "Not Initialized," and select Initialize Disk.
  •    Select GPT (GUID Partition Table) and press OK
  •    Once the drive is initialized, right-click the Unallocated space, and select New Simple Volume
  •    Click Next.
  •    Choose the volume size or leave the default size if you're planning to use the entire hard drive to store files.
  •    Click Next.
  •    Select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
  •    Click Next.
  •    Select the NTFS file system.
  •    On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •   Type a descriptive name in Volume label field.
  •   Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •   Click Next.
  •   Click Finish. Once you completed the steps, Windows 10 will set up a new partition and properly format the hard drive.
  •  
  •   If your drive is initialized, you need only to format it.  Right-click the drive you want and click Format.
  •   Type a descriptive name.
  •   Select the NTFS file system.
  •   On "Allocation unit size," leave the Default option.
  •   Clear the Perform a quick format option.
  •   Click OK.
  •   Click OK on the warning message. Once the formatting process completes, you can then begin to store files on the hard drive.

Hope this helps

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The problem disappeared when I swapped secondary drives with an identical NUC8i7HVK.

Highlighted
Novice

Thank you, but the problem solved itself (see below). The drive was not showing up in BIOS even though it showed up when I initially installed Windows. I tried reseating it. I've owned my own tech company for over 10 years, so I had already covered the basics. I conveniently had 2 of each piece of hardware to troubleshoot.

0 Kudos