Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YShes
Beginner

Can't update NUC7i5BNB BIOS

I've downloaded the BNKBL357.86A.0052.EB, and run it.

It restrarts the system, but does nothing, the BIOS version stays the same.

Is there any other way to update the BIOS?

Thanks forehand,

Yuri

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Download the .BIO file for the latest release. Put it on a USB flash stick (formatted for FAT32) and insert into USB port on NUC. During next boot/reboot, when splash screen appears, hit the F7 key. In the dialog that is displayed, select the USB flash stick and then the .BIO file. The NUC will automatically reboot and perform the install of the BIOS.

If the NUC reboots and does not do the BIOS install, it is an indication that there is a problem with the NUC. The usual cause for this is the NUC cannot initialize memory. In this case, you may need to replace the memory.

Hope this helps; let us know what happens...

...S

YShes
Beginner

Thanks for the advice!

The BIO can be downloaded here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27157/BIOS-Update-BNKBL357-86A- Download BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A]

But.

The instrument SHOULD work! So, INTEL, could you please make the BIOS update utility DO the intended thing? 8-)

YShes
Beginner

OOPS. BIO did not help.

I've pushed F7 in BIOS Setup mode, opened the file, NUC restarted, but the BIOS is still 0049

n_scott_pearson

I presume that you have a USB flash disk plugged in and the .BIO file is in the root folder of this disk? If this is the case, do the following:

1. Power off.
  2. Power back on, but hold the power button down for a full 3 seconds before you release.
  3. You should then see the Power Button Menu be displayed (it may take a few seconds to appear).
  4. Hit F4 to choose the BIOS Recovery option.
  5. The progress of the Recovery process will appear onscreen. Once completed, you will be told to power off. Do so.

Hope this helps,

...S

YShes
Beginner

That helped! It recovered straight into the new version

Thanks a lot!

But, still there is a question for Intel

n_scott_pearson

As I said, if there is an issue with the initialization of the memory - for example, it takes multiple tries to get it initialized and working - this will cause most BIOS updates to fail. We avoided the issue this time by using BIOS Recovery, which utilizes a base set of memory configuration parameters. I would still say that you likely have an issue with your memory. Please provide more information on what memory you are using (full part number, please).

...S

YShes
Beginner

emory SPD DIMM # 1 SMBus address0x50 Memory typeDDR4 Module formatSO-DIMM Manufacturer (ID)Crucial Technology (7F7F7F7F7F9B0000000000) Size8192 MBytes Max bandwidthDDR4-2132 (1066 MHz) Part numberCT8G4SFS8213.M8FA Serial numberE045A42B Manufacturing dateWeek 47/Year 16 Nominal Voltage1.20 Volts EPPno XMPno AMPnoJEDEC timings tableCL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency JEDEC # 19.0-9-9-22-31 @ 666 MHz JEDEC # 211.0-11-11-27-38 @ 814 MHz JEDEC # 312.0-12-12-30-42 @ 888 MHz JEDEC # 413.0-13-13-32-45 @ 962 MHz JEDEC # 514.0-14-14-35-49 @ 1037 MHz JEDEC # 615.0-15-15-36-50 @ 1066 MHz JEDEC # 716.0-15-15-36-50 @ 1066 MHz JEDEC # 817.0-15-15-36-50 @ 1066 MHz JEDEC # 918.0-15-15-36-50 @ 1066 MHz JEDEC # 1019.0-15-15-36-50 @ 1066 MHz
n_scott_pearson

Ok, nothing obvious here (same memory I use). I suggest that you run something like MemTest86+ for a few passes when you get a chance...

...S

YShes
Beginner

The MEMTEST is perfect!

The trouble came again - now I can't update from 052 to 054 or 057, NO WAY!

Even the trick with power on menu, which helped me previously, does not work anymore

I don't understand, what's going on

Help me, please!

n_scott_pearson

As I said, if the reboot is occurring and then the system boots without updating the BIOS, then it is happening because the system is having a problem initializing the memory. My usual suggestion is to try a different DIMM. Let's explore a few other things, just in case...

When you try to update the BIOS via the Recovery Method, are you getting any output on the monitor at all?

Have you tried the Jumper-Based method of BIOS recovery?

Is this the same USB flash disk you successfully used previous? If so, have you used it for any other purpose in the intervening time? If so, try reformatting it on another Windows-based PC. Make sure you specify FAT32 file system and make sure that the Quick option is Disabled. Put only the .BIO file on the flash disk; no other files.

...S

YShes
Beginner

PS was the missing part USB drive was exFAT

The Recovery trick worked again

So let's wait till next BIOS version to check if Intel fixed this mess

Thank you very much for your help!

n_scott_pearson

That's great. There are tons of claims that Linux and MACOS can generate a FAT32-compliant file system but it is patently NOT the case.

My BN is updating without issue. I am unsure what is going on with yours. We definitely shouldn't have to keep using recovery. My suspicion is (still) problems initializing your memory, but there are some other things we can investigate. One is an issue with the ME. What version number is Visual BIOS displaying for the ME firmware?

Wait...duh! The F7 method wasn't working because of exFAT. We'll have to verify this when the next BIOS is released.

...S

CFech
Beginner

Hi,

I was trying to update a system based on NUC7i3BNK with BIOS Update [BNKBL357.86A] due to the Intel Security Advisory 00086 and came across the same problem:

Any way (EXE via Windows, BIOS-Update from within the BIOS, BIOS-Update thru F7) just made the system reboot without installing anything.

The only way to get the BIOS updated was to use a freshly FAT32-formatted USB-sticl and use the BIOS recovery option from the Power Button menu.

Using the recovery method would create the task to manual reconfigure all the BIOS for all our ~70 NUC-systems in 3 different locations.

I hope there will be a better solution.

The mentioned systems are Tarox ECO 44 G7 - i3 systems.

Regards

Christian Fechner

YShes
Beginner

Is there ANY way to PUSH Intel into solving this problem?

I've eventually updated to 062 via your BIOS Recovery trick, but the system works very strange, and boot only with default BIOS parameters. Changing ANY makes the system hang after showing NUC sign on the screen

CFech
Beginner

Good news!

Due to Intel-SA-00110 I downloaded the latest BIOS-Update BNKBL357.86A.0062.EB today, and it was the first BIOS-Update for our NUC7i3BNK which could be applied via the EXE!

It seems Intel has changed something at least for this model, so maybe they found a general bug and fixed it also in the BIOS-Update EXE's for other NUC-Kits...

idata
Community Manager

Same case for me, and I have Crucial Crucial memory too.

Resolved problem with bios recovery but are these memories reliable?

I bought them following the list of compatible memories for this device.