Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Can you tell me how I can connect a new SSD drive to the nuc to be able to make the clone?

I have a NUC7i5BNK that I would like to upgrade the SSD. The current SSD is a Samsung 860 EVO SATA M.2 and the new drive is a Samsung 970 PRO NVMe M.2. No where in any literature from Samsung or Intel can I find how I am suppose to connect the new SSD to the nuc so I can use Samsung's cloning software. According to Samsung's website I have to connect the new drive to either a

• PCIe slot directly connected to CPU or
  • M.2 or PCIe slot connected to PCH
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

The good news is that this is easier than it would be otherwise, since you are moving from a SATA-based M.2 SSD. The bad news is you will need to purchase an adapter to facilitate this. In your case, you need an adapter that will convert from M.2 SATA to either SATA or USB. Here are examples of each:

If you go for the USB-based solution, it's simple; old drive in adapter (and it plugged into one of the NUC's USB 3.0 ports) and new drive in the M.2 connector.

If you go for the SATA-based option, you can use a standard SATA cable to connect the adapter to your NUC's board, but you would then need to figure out how to provide power to this adapter (I know of no available cable that goes from the NUC's internal 4-pin SATA power connector to the 9-pin SATA power connector). Too bad you didn't have the NUC H model, rather than the K model, as you could have just inserted this adapter into its SATA drive bay.

There is an additional cable that you could purchase that will convert from SATA to USB. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-ZWZ-Adapter-Connector-Transmission-Accessories/dp/B07KZWG5WH. The combination of the M.2 SATA to SATA adapter and the SATA to USB cable is a lot more expensive than the original M.2 SATA to USB adapter that I pointed out, but this option is advantageous if you want to have the SATA-based adapter for subsequent standalone use.

As you can tell, I am recommending the M.2 SATA to USB option. Which version of the option is the question you need to answer.

...S

P.S. Note that I am NOT endorsing any of these products; I use them purely as visual examples.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Scott thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately I have unsuccessfully attempted the USB adapter, the nuc recognizes the drive but Samsungs cloning software does not.

This is the adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JKWHFRC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Speaking with another guy I know familiar with these nucs he is saying the following;

1. Clone the existing drive to an external USB drive.
  2. Replace the existing SSD with the new SSD.
  3. Clone from the USB drive to the new SSD.

I am going to attempt this procedure and see how it goes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Actually, you bought the wrong one. You need one that supports SATA drives (and the B+M keying) and you bought the one for NVMe drives.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

But that methodology will work as well if you have a USB HDD to use for this.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Well I might not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but the 970 PRO is an M Key (see below). The adapter works perfectly if I want an external USB SSD HD. However that is not the goal and Samsung's software will not recognize it properly in this configuration.

As I mentioned in my question, Intel and/or Samsung really should address how to upgrade their respective NUC SSD with a proper procedure.

970_PRO.PNGAdapter.PNGM_Key.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Since you will install the new drive in the same slot the current drive is installed, you need first prepare disk image of current drive to an external USB drive. You may use free software, like AOEMI Bacupper ​https://www.backup-utility.com . After preparing disk image, replace the old drive with the new one. Now using AOEMI Bacupper, restore disk image to the new one.

Leon​

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Leon, thank you for the info.

I am actually doing that exact same procedure that you have outlined with Macrium. If this doesn't work I will try AOEMI Bacupper whch I have already downloaded (just in case).

I'll keep you posted.

0 Kudos