cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gdperkins
Novice

Cannot Install Windows OS on NUC10i5

Jump to solution

I purchased a brand new NUC10i5FNH, added a SSD and 16gb of RAM (both Kingston). All the components are showing up correctly in the Bios.

I then created a windows 10 bootable USB on a OS X host via boot camp assistant, but the boot menu (via f10) fails to see the bootable USB with windows on.

Things I have tried:

- Updated the bios to the latest version

- Used different USB ports for the bootable device

- Enabling USB boot reads first in the bios settings

Can someone help me debug this issue and get windows installed?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
gdperkins
Novice

Yeah thanks for your fantastic help (sense the sarcasm)!

Solved it myself anyway, using a combination of diskutil/hdiutil/rsync, all native programs on OSX.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AlHill
Super User

You created your boot/install media on a non-windows platform.

On a WINDOWS machine, go here and let Microsoft create your media. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

LeonWaksman
Super User

1. I suggest you to reinstall Windows using the following method:
2. Please prepare your installation media (you need 8GB – 32GB USB stick), using Microsoft Media Creation Tool. This will install version 20H2.
3. Your bios should be set to default settings. Enter bios (press F2 during boot) and then press F9 (Y) to set defaults and F10 (Y) to save settings and exit.
4. With the installation media inserted into rear USB slot, power ON your NUC and repeatably press F10 to get Boot Menu.
5. In this menu, choose UEFI option of you Installation media.
6. Follow this tutorial to continue with installation.
7. In para. 9 you may enter Product Key from the Microsoft Distribution you bought .
8. Skip on para. 14 and continue in para. 15. Important, do not format drive where you want to install Windows, rather delete all existing partitions from this drive, till you see one unallocated space.
9. Press Next and continue with the installation.

Leon

gdperkins
Novice

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't believe creating the media on a windows machine is a prerequisite for installation, I have seen the method of using boot camp work with NUC previously.

AlHill
Super User

You came here asking for help installing Windows.  We have given you our recommendations.

gdperkins
Novice

Yeah thanks for your fantastic help (sense the sarcasm)!

Solved it myself anyway, using a combination of diskutil/hdiutil/rsync, all native programs on OSX.

View solution in original post

AlHill
Super User

I am really happy for you.  But, the job will be easier if you follow the instructions next time.

gdperkins
Novice

Which was impossible not having access to a windows machine.