Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11282 Discussions

Cannot Reset PC after BIOS update

rabbieb
Beginner

Got the 895MB Download Bundle dated 12/18/2020 for my NUC7i7BNHXG which includes a BIOS update to ver 0083.

Ran that first using the Express option for Windows 10. 

NUC now in "auto repair - diagnosing - cannot repair" loop and none of the recovery options work including both 'Reset PC' options. 

Suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In some cases yes, in other cases no.

I am sorry that my answer is so squishy, but I cannot do better. The problem is dependencies. If the dependencies are covered, then the apps will continue to run. If they aren't, then they won't. Since most dependencies are reflected in the Registry - which would have been reset - they have likely been lost. All you can do it try...

...S

View solution in original post

5 Replies
rabbieb
Beginner

Can confirm BIOS update was successful and have access to Intel Visual BIOS. 

None of the Recovery/Repair options function. Cannot System Restore from any of the 3 available restore points - problems writing from Registry. Cannot find an Image file. 

Alberto_Sykes
Employee

rabbieb, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In reference to this scenario, you mentioned, "Can confirm BIOS update was successful and have access to Intel Visual BIOS", so, just to make sure, there is no problem with the BIOS, you can access it normally and change the settings without any problems, is that correct?

If that is the case and the problem might be related to Windows* itself, then what we can try is to do a clean installation of Windows*, following the instructions from Microsoft's web site and using the registry key that you can access directly from the BIOS of the Intel® NUC itself, please back up any important information you might have on your system before trying this procedure:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000025593/intel-nuc.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

n_scott_pearson

It may be that a portion of the BIOS configuration was modified by the BIOS update process. The user should confirm that setting like SATA Mode, UEFI Boot Enable, etc. are all set as they were previous to the BIOS update process.

...S

rabbieb
Beginner

OK had to do a clean Windows install. At least that's easier these days since Windows recognises the PC had a legal version installed previously. NUC is now functioning normally.

New question - is there a way to recover my apps and programs? The Program files are saved in a \Windws.old\ folder. Can I reinstall them from there or do I need to do clean installs of them all too?

n_scott_pearson

In some cases yes, in other cases no.

I am sorry that my answer is so squishy, but I cannot do better. The problem is dependencies. If the dependencies are covered, then the apps will continue to run. If they aren't, then they won't. Since most dependencies are reflected in the Registry - which would have been reset - they have likely been lost. All you can do it try...

...S

View solution in original post