Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GHp
Beginner

Cannot get 2560x1440 output on NUC6i7KYK via HDMI

I have just purchased my first NUC Skull Canyon and I have connected it to my Samsung S27B971D WQHD monitor. However, 2560x1440 is not listed in the available resolutions. I have also tried to add it manually through Intel Iris Graphics Control Panel but I am getting "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity". 3 different HDMI cables I have tried with no success. I am pretty sure that I can get this resolution through DisplayPort but currently I do not have one. I am pretty sure I can get it through HDMI as well, as I have read that 4K is supported through HDMI on this machine.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello giannos,

Thank you for joining the Intel® NUC community. My apologies for the inconvenience.

I would like to gather more information regarding this behavior, please see below:

• Could you please let us know the driver version you are running? Please go to Device Manger> Display adapters> Intel(R) HD Graphics right click on Properties and then go to Driver, you will be able to see the version installed.
  • Please provide the cable brand and model.
  • Provide the operating system version installed.

Actually, the maximum supported resolution via HDMI is 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, 24 bpp.

Regards,

Amy C.

GHp
Beginner

Driver Version: 22.20.16.4771

Driver Date: 13/08/2017

Brand: It's a Silver Crest cable.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for the information giannos.

Let's try to update that Intel® HD Graphics version to the following version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=883... Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]. This is one of the most stable version from our end, I would like to request to test this version for testing purposes.

Please let me know the results.

Regards,

Amy C.

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for that information giannos.

Let's try to test the following Intel® HD Graphics driver version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=883... Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]. This is one of most stable versions, please give it a try and share your results.

One more thing, is the cable used HDMI 2.0?

Regards,

Amy C.

idata
Community Manager

Let's try to test the following Intel® HD Graphics driver version: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26772/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?product=883... Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]. This is one of most stable versions, please give it a try and share your results.

Regards,

Amy C.

idata
Community Manager

Regards,

Amy C.

GHp
Beginner

i have no idea if HDMI is 2.0. I have tried though 4 different HDMI cables and all with the same results. I have tried to set a custom resolution to it and it works at 2560x1440 at 55Hz. I haven't tried the drivers u suggested yet. But i wonder why the WQHD resolution does not appear by default.

idata
Community Manager

giannos, hope you can test that version and share your results.

Is there any chance for you to test a HDMI 2.0 cable? The resolution should work just fine since the graphics controller can handle this resolution, so we believe this could related to the cable.

Regards,

Amy C.

FIce
Novice

Sir see attach file of HDMI 2.0 cable that I bought. Give us a screenshot of the cover of the HDMI cable that you bought then we can tell you if you have the right one. Hope this could help you.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Are these images from the same box? If that is all it says, one that indicates that it can do 1080p (like the first image) is not good enough. One that says "High Speed With Ethernet" (like in the second image) is what you want to try.

FIce
Novice

Nope. The other one is Audio Pro its HDMI version 2.0 although on the pic it just say 1080p. I can Use it without any problem on 3840x2160p@60pHz HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour "OFF". The other one which is AudioQuest Pearl same Resolution and Freq. but I can turn "ON" HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour on the TV setting. I test this while watching Netflix also 4k 60FPS on YouTube.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Have you installed the INF file for this monitor? Most monitors come with a CD that provides this file (or a full installer for it). If your's didn't, go to the vendors's site and look for it in their downloads...

GHp
Beginner

I have bought today an HDMI 2.0 and still nothing. 2560x1440 works only through custom resolution. I really don't know why

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for trying the suggestion.

Once you create and set the custom resolution, does everything work ok?

Please access this link: https://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/ https://www.whatismyscreenresolution.com/ and let us know what is the resolution mentioned.

Regards,

Amy C.

FIce
Novice

@ giannos

As N. Scot said maybe you need to install something this INF file which is supposed to be included on your purchase of that monitor CD installer. Check also your user manual on page 34 there is an instruction how to change resolution. If this doesn't work then you only have one option left that is try the usb type c to hdmi/dp and see if there is changes.

GHp
Beginner

Yes everything works fine with custom resolution...

FIce
Novice

Thats really weird. Actually I haven't tested my NUC7i5 on a monitor its connected to LG TV. I only have problem with resolution when Im connected with usb-c adapter to hdmi the freq is at 30Hz only but when I connect it straight to hdmi I can change the settings. The problem is with my usb-c adapter.

FIce
Novice

As I read your 1st msg you cannot reach 2560x1440 even if you try the custom resolution using your 3 hdmi cable Am I right? And now that you install a new HDMI cable you can only do it at custom resolution.

tLegr
Beginner

I was able to solve this by using a : USB-C to displayport cable..

no HDMI cable i tried fix this.