cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Cannot get into BIOS

Hi,

I just got my NUC7i5BNHx a day ago and now the BIOS has become unstable after an update and I cannot get into it anymore. This is what I tried:

BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu

Taking power off, plugging it back in and starting by holding the power button for some 3 seconds. I then get the menu but none of the F buttons work. I tried F2 (Visual BIOS), F4 Bios recovery (with USB fat32 (also reformatted it a few times) plugged in with latest bios), F7 Update BIOS (ditto). Whenever I press any of this keys I get a few lines of absolute gibberish on the screen (doesn't even look like characters) and that is it.

BIOS Recovery by the Security Jumper

I then tried the yellow security jumper. Removed it, inserted the latest bios on a fat32 formatted usb, turned NUC back on and waited. after a minute or so the gibberish appeared on screen again and nothing further happened.

I am at a total loss now and would appreciate any suggestions. I would hate to have to send it back.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Except not be able to display the visual bios, NUC works? Did you install an Operating System (Windows)? Any way if after pressing the F2 button, the system reacts and you see gibberish on the screen , disregard this and press F9 followed by "Y" (this will set bios to default setting) and than press F10 followed by "Y" (this will save the default settings and exit from bios).

Regards

Leon

Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you. Although I had packed the NUC to send back (thinking I had bricked it), I decided to give it another go and this time, instead of hooking it up to the projector, attached it to the tv, and all of a sudden the gibberish became readable and your suggestion then got me into the BIOS again. Pffff!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

I slightly edited Leon's reply to correct a booboo (a "Y" is also required after the F9 press).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

BTW, this sounds like the projector couldn't handle the resolution requested by Visual BIOS...

0 Kudos