Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

Cannot install Windows 11 on NUC 12 Pro

spinnaker
Novice
Hello,
I recently bought an Intel NUC 12 Pro WSKi7 backbone and equipped it with myself with RAM and an M.2 SSD. On the product website, Microsoft Windows is indicated as a supported OS. However, during installation process of Windows 11 an internet connection is required, but neither the LAN port nor Wifi connections are indicated. An Ubuntu Live-CD runs out of the box recognizing LAN and Wifi, so the problem definitely is related to Windows. How can I install/update NUC network drivers for Windows 11 when I cannot even install Windows?
I'd be glad if anyone had this problem before and knows an answer. Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Solution
spinnaker
Novice

Hello LeonWaksman,

thanks for your post, I finally solved the issue. It's not that I don't have internet access at home, but the Windows 11 drivers do not support Wifi and LAN at all. I found the solution to use Shift+ F10 at the moment I stuck, there a command promt opens where you can install the LAN drivers manually using pnputil. A few seconds later it has detected the LAN interface and the Windows 11 installation finished entirely.

In short, the drivers need to be installed directly form the promt from C-drive; my former post was related to an X-drive Windows which was different. Thanks a lot and a happy new year!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

It is likely the Windows install media. 

Go here, and create a new usb install stick. 

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Do the create on a PC with windows, not mac or linux.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

AlHill
Super User

Also, you may have to install without a net connection and install a lan or wifi driver after windows installs.  I had to do that on my NUC12.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
[Maybe Windows 12 will be better]

spinnaker
Novice

Hello AlHill,

thanks for your input, however this doesn't solve my problem (yet). The issue is that the Windows 11 installation hasn't finished yet, I am stuck in the mandatory personilization steps after choosing the keyboard layout. There, an internet connection is mandatory, but the list of Wifis remains empty and the LAN data LED remains off. So I think that the installation offline steps are already behind me.

Now I found out that during boot I can go into an advanced start of WIndows, choose there the command line and tried to install the NUC LAN driver manually over cmd. Finally the data LED is on. But after reboot it remains off and I am not further step ahead.

Any idea on what needs to be installed (via cmd) exactly so the mandatory personalization steps does not stuck anymore?

LeonWaksman
Super User

I give you link to tutorial how to perform Clean Installation of Windows 11.  In para. 16 of this tutorial you will find explanation how to continue with installation without internet connection. 

Leon

spinnaker
Novice

Hello LeonWaksman,

thanks for your post, I finally solved the issue. It's not that I don't have internet access at home, but the Windows 11 drivers do not support Wifi and LAN at all. I found the solution to use Shift+ F10 at the moment I stuck, there a command promt opens where you can install the LAN drivers manually using pnputil. A few seconds later it has detected the LAN interface and the Windows 11 installation finished entirely.

In short, the drivers need to be installed directly form the promt from C-drive; my former post was related to an X-drive Windows which was different. Thanks a lot and a happy new year!