Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Cannot update bios - NUC8i7HVK

Brand new unit, is currently on 0037 bios version, and have spent the last few hours trying the various methods of updating to the latest version.

In all cases the machine just reboots after a very short time after selecting the file and confirming. Never actually updates the bios.

Tried the visual bios, f7 method, f4 recovery method UEFI shell, pulled the bios jumper method- all to the same effect. Various usb thumb drives (formatted FAT 32), reset bios options to defaults, etc. Also tried download slightly older version of the bios 0049, 0044.

I've also tried swapping around the DIMMs. removed one, and tried using only a single DIMM in both/either positions.

Other than this the machine appears to be running fine in Windows 10, but this irks me as it leads me to believe there is a hardware issue if I cannot update the bios.

Any other ideas prior to returning the unit?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

1. Turn off Secure Boot.

2. Make sure your stick is formatted fat32

3. Try a different stick

My NUC updated (today) without problem from 0049 to 0050.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes, tried those suggestions after doing some initial searches to solutions to the problem. I have to suspect a hardware issue at this point because as you said, others do not be appearing to have this issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Well, I did not have an issue.

Do a FULL format of your stick with fat32, on a windows machine. Yes, this will take time.

Do not make it bootable.

Put only the .bio file on the stick.

Make sure Secure Boot is off.

Boot with F7

select the .bio file

Report back with results

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Tried everything suggested, yields same result as when I tried previously.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

i had one last idea to try and it worked and was able to successfully update the bios- I disconnected the Mini DisplayPort and used HDMI as my video output to my display and it worked.

As to why, I do not have an answer, but if anyone else comes across this issue can give that a try.

Thanks for taking the the time to reply.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Glad you got it updated. Since it is graphics related, I know of a case where updating the graphics driver allowed the bios update to work.

And, since updating the graphics driver also updates the audio, this may part of the problem:

MikeLevine had a similar issue with his nuc.

Doc

0 Kudos