Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KVind
Beginner

Charge through usb-c? / Single charger for multiple devices?

Hello im currently using a hades canyon and a mobile studio pro 13 ( Profile 5: 5 Volts, 2A / 12 Volts, 5A / 20 Volts, 5A, max 100W).

The hades canyon charger is already massive and the MBP13 uses another charger.

Is there anyway i could buy a single charger to charge them both? Ex. a new charger for the hades canyon that then has a seperate usb-c charge output? Or can i simply try and charge the MBP13 directly from the hades canyon with a usb-c to usb-c? Im a little nervous about just hooking it up since i heard it coule be dangerous to just hook up 2 computers with a usb-c-

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Why do you not just use the ac adapter provided with each device, and avoid the problem(s) altogether?

Doc

KVind
Beginner

Simply as convenience. Not only because two chargers add alot of bulk (its a portable setup), but mostly because it requires two power outlets which i havent seen alot of the places i've been. Yesi could use a output splitter but then again more bulk

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

First of all, none of the NUC models support being powered via USB-C. In the case of the Hades Canyon NUCs, the power requirements are *well* beyond the 100W supported by the charging spec regardless.

According to my interpretation of their TPS, the Hades Canyon NUC's USB 3.x ports - including the USB-C ports - provide only the required 900mA (0.9A) of power (i.e. support for the optional 3A power delivery capability is NOT provided). This would mean that you cannot power your MobileStudio Pro 13 using the NUC's USB-C ports.

As for a power supply that would service both devices, I have never heard of a device providing this capability.

I have asked for clarification on the USB-C power delivery support...

...S

KVind
Beginner

I was only planning to power the Mobile studio with usb-c and i figured (since the charger was so bulky) that it might be able to charge yet another device. This idea comes from my old surfacebook that had a seperate usb connector in the adapter itself but i see now that might not be a common case.

But okay sounds like it isnt possible. Anyway thanks for letting me know.

AlHill
Super User

"Im a little nervous"...

Get a power strip and use the adapters that come with the devices. Then, you can trade nervous for safety and intended use.

Doc