Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ESumm
Beginner

Cleaning the Skull Canyon

I live in a small family home, 2 kids and 2 cats. Suffice to say my place can get dusty very quickly. I have noticed my NUC is being a tad louder than when I first bought it a month or so ago, I'd like to give it a clean, get that dust out etc.

With my old desktop pc i used to unplug everything and blast it with my a/c air compressor (not a particularly powerful one, just the kind used to inflate stuff etc).

It would be very easy to take the NUC outside and give it a blast, but I fear its overkill or the fans are delicate etc.

What is the general advice for maintenance of the Skull Canyon?

TIA!

ES

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ESumm
Beginner

No one? No one can share how they maintain a physically clean and dust free NUC Canyon with me?

AlHill
Super User

A rule that I share with everyone who has compressed air, it is great for cleaning keyboards and the insides of PCs, laptops, nucs, etc.

The only thing I tell those to be careful of is fans/blowers. Compressed air can get the fan/blower going much, much faster than it was ever intended to spin.

So, as a precaution, use a pencil, or stick of some sort that can fit between/through the protective grill. Remember, POWER is OFF when you are doing any cleaning.

With the stick holding the fan/blower blade so it cannot spin, spray away with your compressed air. That way, the fan/blower does not spin. The same for the fan inside a power supply, the intake/exhaust fans on a case, the cpu fan, the fan on a video card, or any other fan you can find. Compressed air is good for cleaning the dust. I just do not like it spinning the fans at some outrageous speed.

My 2¢

Doc

ESumm
Beginner

Thanks that's really good advice, I've never heard that before, will defo keep that in mind. Therefore it sounds like we're encouraging a certain amount of 'unscrewing' to get to fans and the like in order to hold them in place whilst blowing the compressed air? I take it just unscrewing the 'easy' screws and getting access to the compartments that are typically exposed to doing hardware installs is far enough?

AlHill
Super User

Yes, when cleaning desktops, I take mine down to the garage where I have an industrial strength compressor. I take off the side of the case, hold the fans, and watch the dust fly.

On my smaller devices, I have a reusable can that I charge up with my compressor, put the straw on the nozzle, and hit the keyboards, laptops, and any other place where there is the possibility of dust build up.

I have two cats also. Well, more correctly, my wife has two cats which are my responsibility. I have a nice filter on the bottom front of my desktop which catches most of the larger particles and hair. That I clean manually. But, when the really fine stuff builds up, down to the garage I go.

I have been doing this procedure for years, with no trouble. Also, I keep my desktop intake fan about 5"/12cm off the floor. High enough so most stuff at floor level does not get pulled in so easily.

I am sure that someone else on the forum will have their procedure to share as well.

Doc

ESumm
Beginner

Nah that's really helpful and good advice. I have my NUC actually wall mounted, its location and positioning I think is in a place that is less prone to collecting dust. My old desktop sadly had nowhere to sit other than the floor and was constantly filthy.