Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
Announcements
All support for Intel® NUC 7 - 13 systems is transitioning to ASUS. Read more.
13487 Discussions

Clicking sound from NUC

wlammert
Beginner

I have a new Phantom Canyon NUC.  I am noticing a clicking sound very much like that of a hard disk head going to a new track. 

It is random and doesn't correlate to the SSD being accessed.   It is noticeable only when the unit is operating and not in sleep mode.   It is also more noticeable at lower CPU utilization. 

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel

wlammert, I just received an update on this matter.

Thank you very much for sharing those details. After reviewing the case we determined that this problem could be actually related to a hardware issue. Based on that, if you do software changes like a BIOS update or turning the C state to off in the BIOS will be unlikely to fix it. Still, for testing purposes you can always try that, it will not harm the Intel® NUC and wit will hep to isolate the issue even further.

At this point though, we recommend checking the unit to confirm if there might be a loose connection with some of the components inside the Intel® NUC. Otherwise, in this case, taking into consideration that the Intel® NUC was purchased recently, we suggest to get in contact directly with the place of purchase to verify their warranty options in order to replace the unit.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

wlammert, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the specific model of the Intel® NUC?

What is the model of the SSD?

When did you purchase it? (For Warranty Purposes)

The sound, is it recently or it happens since day 1?

If it is recently, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
wlammert
Beginner

What is the specific model of the Intel® NUC? NUC11PHKi7C Full

What is the model of the SSD? I don't have that information - the unit was configured by SimplyNUC

When did you purchase it? (For Warranty Purposes) 9/21/22

The sound, is it recently or it happens since day 1? It appears to have been present since day 1

If it is recently, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem? No

Which Windows* version are you using? Windows 11

Attached is the SSU report and a sound recording of what I am hearing. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

wlammert, Thank you very much for providing that information, the SSU report, and the sound file.

According to the SSS document, the BIOS version currently installed in your Intel® NUC is 0069. There is a newer BIOS version available on our website, which is 0070. Based on the description you provided about this problem, it seems to be related to a hardware issue, still, we always recommend to install the latest BIOS version available using the F7 method as described in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19729/bios-update-phtgl579.html?wapkw=nuc11phki7c

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/742456/NUC-AptioV-UEFI-Firmware-BIOS-Update-Readme.pdf

We will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
wlammert
Beginner

I have been doing some research on this issue and have found that some others with similar symptoms (an intermittent and random buzz/tick/click  that occurs predominately at CPU idle and disappears at higher CPU loads) but on different brand systems have indicated that turning the C state to off in the BIOS has resolved the problem.  

Don't know if this a recommended or viable solution for this situation.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

wlammert, I just received an update on this matter.

Thank you very much for sharing those details. After reviewing the case we determined that this problem could be actually related to a hardware issue. Based on that, if you do software changes like a BIOS update or turning the C state to off in the BIOS will be unlikely to fix it. Still, for testing purposes you can always try that, it will not harm the Intel® NUC and wit will hep to isolate the issue even further.

At this point though, we recommend checking the unit to confirm if there might be a loose connection with some of the components inside the Intel® NUC. Otherwise, in this case, taking into consideration that the Intel® NUC was purchased recently, we suggest to get in contact directly with the place of purchase to verify their warranty options in order to replace the unit.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos