cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
statgeek
Beginner

Compatible 2.5in SATA SSDs for a NUC?

Jump to solution

I'm new to NUC, and new to this Community too.  Please tolerate what might be a silly question.

For my new NUC10i5FNH, the Intel online compatibility tool lists a small number of 2.5in SATA SSD drives as being compatible.  The list is short, and includes mainly SSDs that are now superseded by later models.

My question is: if I buy one of the current 2.5in SATA SSDs from a major manufacturer such as Sandisk, Kingston or Samsung, how confident can I be that it will work with my NUC?  Are there some specific features that I should look for (or avoid)?

I am guessing that Intel's online compatibility list is not prescriptive, i.e., that non-inclusion of a SSD in that list doesn't mean that the SSD won't work.  But is that guess correct?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just about any 2.5" SATA II/III SSD/HDD/SSHD can be used, provided that they are not more than 9.5mm in height (a limitation of the drive bays in the various NUCs). This will preclude the use of the existing 4TB HDDs, since they are all 15mm in height, but there are lots of 2TB SSDs and HDDs that you can choose from. I have typically used 1TB and 2TB HDDs and SSHDs from Seagate, but I have also a smattering of 250GB and 500GB SSDs from Samsung and Toshiba/OCZ and 500GB and 1TB HDDs from Hitachi and Samsung.

[Aside: The Compatibility tool lists only those drives that Intel had on hand (i.e. received samples from the manufacturer) and were found to be compatible. More often than not, drives that are not listed are not listed because Intel did not receive samples.]

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Just about any 2.5" SATA II/III SSD/HDD/SSHD can be used, provided that they are not more than 9.5mm in height (a limitation of the drive bays in the various NUCs). This will preclude the use of the existing 4TB HDDs, since they are all 15mm in height, but there are lots of 2TB SSDs and HDDs that you can choose from. I have typically used 1TB and 2TB HDDs and SSHDs from Seagate, but I have also a smattering of 250GB and 500GB SSDs from Samsung and Toshiba/OCZ and 500GB and 1TB HDDs from Hitachi and Samsung.

[Aside: The Compatibility tool lists only those drives that Intel had on hand (i.e. received samples from the manufacturer) and were found to be compatible. More often than not, drives that are not listed are not listed because Intel did not receive samples.]

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

statgeek
Beginner

Brilliant --- many thanks for such a swift and helpful reply.  This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello statgeek

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are glad to know that the information provided by the community has been helpful. Also, if you need any additional information from Intel, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored since it has been marked as "Solved".

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician