Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

Constant "High Definition Audio Controller"reboot required. NUC8i7HVK

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi

After update to latest Radeon 21.30.37.04, I get a constant "restart required" to finish installing High Definition Audio Cotroller. Also running latest Intel Garaphics.

Tried AMD cleanup utility and DDU then re-installing, but same message.

Radeon 21.10.03.11 was OK, no message.

Running Win11 64 bit.

0 Kudos
54 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

I've installed  latest Radeon 21.30.37.04 driver on Windows 11 and did not observed any problem.

In order to get better information about your system, please download the Intel System Support Utility (SSU). Run the SSU scan (check "Everything") and save the results. The .txt file with the results please attach to your post.

Leon

radeonDriver.png

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Leon

I have attached the ssu file.

My Radeon System information is same as yours.

Paul

2022-02-05 (1).png2022-02-05 (2).png

LeonWaksman
Super User

I don't find any thing wrong, except that in my Device Manager, I can see only one High Definition Audio Controller, while you have two.  I would suggest to uninstall the Realtek Audio Driver, and delete the redundant High Definition Audio Controller (if any) from the Device Manager and then reinstall the Realtek Audio Driver.

Before doing this, have full backup of your system, in case that something will go wrong.

Leon

devMngr.png

PRyan4
New Contributor I

That didn't work either.

I noticed you have one High definition audio bus, and one High definition audio controller.

I just have 2 x High definition audio controller.

Went into safe mode again. Completely uninstalled AMD and realtek drivers. Ran AMD cleanup utility. Uninstalled both Audio Controllers.

Rebooted, and reinstalled AMD and Realtek drivers. Still get restart message to finish installing audio controller and still got 2 x  High definition audio controller and no High definition audio bus.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @PRyan4 

You did all what I would do but still no result. Probably is something wrong in Windows installation.

Try to run Playing Audio and Recording Audio Windows Troubleshooters (you will find both in Windows Settings>System>Troubleshoot>Other troubleshooters). 

If the above not helps, you may fix your Windows installation with an in place upgrade. Your Windows will be replaced, without losing anything. Your personal data, programs and accounts will be kept. 

Leon

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Leon,

thanks for your help, but not even the troubleshooter found errors.

There was a version after 21.10.03.11, 21.30.25.01. When I put on 21.30.25.01, that's when the issue started.

So I cleaned and put 21.10.03.11 back on and it went away. Now with this newer 21.30.37.04 it's back again.

Starting to think something got screwed up there.

It's something with the AMD caus if I uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller in System Devices, then it also removes the AMD entry in Sound controllers. Then you scan for harware changes and it puts it all back with no error untill I restart, then message appears.

I did notice others on Radeon forums having similar issues with some of their older drivers which was fixed with newer ones.

At least all my audio seems to be working OK.

Display port to my monitor, HDMI through my receiver to TV, Realtek Optical to my AMP, all working.

Just the annoying restart required notification which I have disabled for now.

Might try repairng windows for now, don't really feel like doing a format for a while.

Paul

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @PRyan4

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and thank you LeonWaksman for all your support.

PRyan4, we have reviewed this thread and our recommendation is to reinstall the operating system (OS). This should fix this problem.

If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Andrew

Looks like I've solved the problem for now.

I tried uninstalling the Audio controller and letting windows re-install but problem still remained.

Next I tried updating drivers, Browse my computer for drivers, Let me pick from list, then I picked High Definition Audio Controller, and just went Next and let it install driver. Problem seemed to have gone now.

Fingers crossed.

Paul

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Thank you for your response and for the details. Let's monitor the behavior for a couple of days and feel free to post at any time any additional feedback regarding the behavior about the solution you found.

We may be following up next week in case we don't hear back from you just to check how things go.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi

Unfortunately the problem has returned.

Might have to look at re-installing Win 11.

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Win11 reset pc and keep personal files didn't help.

Reflash 67 bios didn't help.

Full fresh format, reinstall win 11 pro from bootable usb stick, update windows and all drivers for Hades, and so far the error hasn't come back.

Paul

Edit: Issue came back this morning, "restart required" to finish installing High Definition Audio Cotroller.

It's random, sometimes it's there and other times it's not. It's to do with the AMD caus if you uninstall the Audio controller from "System", it removes the "AMD High Definition Audio Device" from "Sound, video and game controllers".

There was a thread on AMD a couple of years ago with others having the same issue with one of AMD driver versions which seemed to go away with a later version. I never had this issue with Win10 and older versions of the AMD driver.

Unless it's hardware related??

One suggested solution was to disable "AMD External Events Utility" in Services. Tried this and it hasn't returned after a half dozen restarts so far.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Thank you for your response and for the details.

Could you please provide us with a new Intel® SSU report so we can have the most recent system information on the Intel® NUC and proceed to review this further?

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Andrew

I have attached the latest SSU detailed file.

The "restart required" message hasn't returned since I disabled "AMD External Events Utility" in Services, as was suggested in a AMD forum by a user having similar issue.

Paul

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Thank you for your response and for the Intel® SSU report, please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

We would like to inform you that we ran a Lab on this matter and we did not get the same results.

This was performed using the same Intel® NUC model and Windows* 11, we also tested on Windows* 10.

We used Intel® DSA to update and test and we also run manual updates for the Intel® graphics and the AMD* graphics and no issues were found.

Our recommendation is to reinstall the operating system (OS) one more time but using a different OS copy. For this task, you may want to contact Microsoft Support* for additional assistance and guidance.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your time and help.

The issue never returned when I disabled "AMD External Events Utility" in Services, as suggested in an AMD forum.

I enabled the service again a few days ago, and it has returned once since after a restart. Even when I get the message it doesn't seem to affect the sound. I never got this message running Win 10, only on Win 11 after upgrading past 21.10.03.

Paul

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Sure! You are very welcome and thank you for these details. We understand that the issue goes away disabling the "AMD External Events Utility" in Services.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, we would like to know if you were able to try our last recommendation of reinstalling the operating system but using a different OS copy? Are you willing to try this? If yes, could you please share the outcome of the test?

If you have any other inquiries or comments, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

PRyan4
New Contributor I

Hi Andrew

I have done 2 x fresh OS installs, however, with the same Win11 copy.

I will get another copy and try again.

I have "AMD External Events Utility" in Services enabled again for now, and have only had the "restart" message prompt twice in a few days of multiple shutdown/resatrts, very random now.

Paul

AndrewG_Intel

Hello PRyan4

Thank you for your response and for your efforts in this matter.

Perfect, we will be waiting for your feedback after testing with a different Windows* OS copy.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

JJay
Novice

I have the same problem.  I updated the Radeon driver to 21.20.37.04, and now get the 'restart required' message every time I start the computer.  I also updated the GFX driver to 30.0.101.1191 around the same time, so I'm really not sure of the culprit.

The symptoms are the same.