Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Could not enter BIOS after upgrade 065

My NUC works normally before BIOS version 065.

After upgrade to 065, The NUC BOOT Screen disappeared, Black screen maintained until Windows 10 logon screen.

No response by pressing F2, F10, F12 when system boot.

But, the Num Lock Led on keyboard has response by click the Nun Lock key.

How can I enter BIOS now ?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Hello SimonLuk

I've have upgraded BIOS of my NUC6i5SYH to ver 0065 without any problem. The NUC performance have not been degraded. Works good. For some reason (I don't know why) Intel has removed ver 0065 from download page leaving the 0063 as the last version. Follow the following steps to recovery your BIOS to ver 0063 from Power Button Menu:

1. Insert USB with SY0063.bio file into USB slot.

2. Press on Power Switch and hold it. You should release the Power Button soon as the power led changes color from blue to amber. NUC will reboot into Power Button Menu.

3. With the USB containing the latest bios file, press F4 and the recovery shall start.

Hope this helps

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I force the NUC recover to 0063 by pull out the BIOS jumper on mainboard.

I also tried the method as you said: Press on Power Switch and hold it. It does not work. The NUC power on for a few seconds, and then shutdown itself.

Now, after downgrade, NUC looks okay.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Leon,

I will presume that the BIOS was withdrawn because of (take your pick for which source to read it from):

https://www.pcmag.com/news/358685/intel-dont-deploy-our-faulty-spectre-patches Intel: Don't Deploy Our Faulty Spectre Patches | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/22/16919426/intel-advises-pause-deployment-of-spectre-patch Intel tells users to stop deploying buggy Spectre patch, citing technical issues - The Verge

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Any way, I've updated my NUC using recovery method and have not observed any problems. I'll wait what will happen next.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I upgraded my sister machine to 65 thinking I was helping, so far no issues. will probably leave it since she lives quite far.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Here is a differing opinion from Linus Torvalds.

0 Kudos