cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Crashes Since 77 BIOS Update

Hi,

My device is freezing/crashing several times a day since updating to the 77 bios a month ago.

I've followed all troubleshooting steps + reinstalled drivers to no avail so far, my device does not allow me to roll back to 75.

The device crashes most often during intensive use i.e heavy photoshop use although it is also prone to crashing randomly.

I've discovered that the only solution to the crashing is to remove one stick of RAM although this is not an ideal solution

My NUC specs are as follows

NUC8I7BEH

Samsung 970 EVO Pro 512 GB NVMe M.2 Internal SSD

VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz

Windows Pro 1909

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Well, you NUC wasn't certified to work with 3200 MHz memory. It was designed and test with 1.2V DDR4; 2400 MHz memory.

See the list of validated by Intel memory for NUC8i7BEH https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NU...

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Apologies for the error - I am actually using 2400MHz RAM. I've edited the post.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Still as you can see the VENGEANCE memory wasn't tested by Intel. So, could be that there is a compatibility issue? Can you test with other memory?
  2. You may downgrade your Bios to version )75 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29189/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A- using Bios recovery method from Power Button Menu:
  3. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 (disable quick format option during format). Format your USB on Windows machine (rather than Linux or MAC). Save the Bios file BE0075.bio (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29189/BIOS-Update-BECFL357-86A-) on this stick and insert it into rear USB slot
  4. Press Power Button for about 3 seconds. Count 1001, 1002, 1003,1004. Release the Power Button. NUC should reboot into Power Button Menu. You should release the Power Button before 4-sec shut down override or when the Power Button LED changes color from blue to amber.
  5. Press F4 and the recovery shall start (it can take up to 30 seconds for messages to appear on the screen).
  6. When the recovery finishes, press on Power Button and hold it, until NUC switches OFF. Pull out the power cord. Remove the USB stick.
  7. Replace the power cord and press Power Button to switch the computer to ON.
  8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi, Leon

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately I have no other memory on hand. Although before the update I had 0 issues and to my understanding I have one of the most common NUC setups

Regarding downgrading, I am unable to via the method you've suggested as well as all other methods listed in the troubleshooting section. I forget the specifics but I get a popup error about the NUC not being compatible with downgrading., otherwise I would have done so a long time ago. The troubleshooting page states that downgrading is not always supported so I assume that's why I cannot.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

You made some mistake. You should be able to downgrade the bios using recovery method.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon,

If I am making an error I am lost for what it could possibly be, as I am able to reinstall 77 via the method you posted but 75 fails.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. According to Bios Release Notes, you should be able download Bios to version 75. So if the recovery from Power Button Menu fails (fails? you didn't described how it fails? what is displayed?), let's try the Recovery with the Yellow Security Jumper Remover method:
  2. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  3. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper. (page 41 in Technical Product Specification https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i3BE_NUC8i5BE_NUC8i7...)
  4. Insert the USB with the BE0075.bio file into USB slot.
  5. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  6. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) . Reinstall the bottom panel.
  7. Power your NUC ON.
  8. Enter Bios setting by pressing F2 during boot process.
  9. Press F9(followed by "Y"), to set Bios to default settings. Press F10 (followed by "Y"), to save the settings and exit to O.S. Let the NUC fully reboot.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Leon.

Many thanks for your patience in trying to help me.

I tried to replicate the power button menu failure, however to my surprise I was able to roll back to 75. However I am now facing an issue where the device automatically updates to bios 77 when I shut down and boot up after completing the recovery process

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. Probably the Bios is recovering version 077 from the recovery partition.
  2. Please use the recovery method with the security jumper removed (described in my previous post). In this method all parts of bios are replaced.
  3. Ensure that on the USB, you have only one bios version (i.e. 075).
  4. You may remove and reinstall the small Security Jumper with help of tweezers

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi OZoug,

I also faced the same problem as you did after upgrading to bios 77.

Please check if you have the intel management engine driver installed, I have not faced any crashes after installing the driver.

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

Oddly enough after downgrading to 75 and allowing it to auto upgrade to 77 twice I've gone 3 days without a crash. I've run some intensive programs to try to force a freeze but so far nothing.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, I'll be sure to try them if I should start getting crashes again.

0 Kudos