Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

D54250WYK no flash screen or BIOS access

Have a D54250WYK running Ubuntu (so I know all the hardware is good). I'm trying to boot from USB to install Windows 10, but I am stuck on black/no signal screens. It appears that things are happening, but it is not displaying on the monitor.

If I boot with the Win10 USB installed, it just hangs on a black screen.

If I just hammer F2 to get into BIOS to change the boot sequence, it just hangs on a black screen.

It's like it is going into the dialog/screen, I just can't see it on the monitor.

I tried F3 to disable fast boot, but just a black screen.

I tried F7 to update BIOS from USB, but just a black screen.

I pulled the jumper and installed the latest BIOS from USB by just letting it do it's thing for 10 minutes (power LED flashed) without seeing anything on the screen. When I boot back into Ubuntu and run sudo dmidecode | less from the terminal, it shows the BIOS updated to the latest version so it worked. However, I still cannot view the flash or BIOS screeen.

I'm connecting via mini-HDMI to HDMI. I have tried on 3 TVs and two different monitors. I have an HDMI to DVI adapter in my Amazon cart to try on an older monitor, but I'm hoping there is something I can try/update first to fix it before wasting a week waiting on a $7 part I will never use again.

I remember when these NUCs first came out, there were issues with resolution matching and some sort of firmware that needed to be updated. I'm not finding anything through Google now though since this an older issue. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

If you repeatably depress the F10 during boot, does the NUC enters into Boot Menu?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry, forgot that one. Yes, tried hammering F10, just hangs on the black screen.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

"Have a D54250WYK running Ubuntu (so I know all the hardware is good)." this statement of your's is not clear for me:

1. Do you have Ubuntu installed on the internal drive?
  2. Do you have video output running Ubuntu?
  3. While you booting to Ubuntu, do you see the Intel NUC logo generated from Bios?

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Huh? F3? F3 is not a disabler for Fast Boot. There is no key defined to disable Fast Boot. In fact, there cannot be a key defined to disable Fast Boot. Think about it: If you have Fast Boot enabled, the USB hubs and buses are not initialized. Bottom line, there is no discovered or working keyboard at this point. Hitting F3 (or F7) accomplishes absolutely nothing.

So you have no output on the screen, not even while doing a BIOS recovery. Yet you say if disk contains Ubuntu, the monitor starts working when Ubuntu initialises the hardware? What you need to do is power off and then power back on, holding the power button in for 3 seconds. Do you (within 10-15 seconds) see the Power Button Menu appear on the screen? If you do not, then the only explanation is that you have a hardware issue.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. No. I get no flash screen (NUC logo) during boot. It just goes straight into Ubuntu.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Sorry, one of the things I read was to try disabling fast boot by hitting F3. Obviously it did not work.

Yes, I have tried the power hold for 3 seconds, then press it on the 4th second thing as well. I just get the black screen. Tried so many different things yesterday, I forgot to mention it.

Why would it be a hardware issue if I can run Ubuntu without any issue?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ubuntu must be running it in some sort of degraded configuration. At its default configuration it is not working (or you would see BIOS output). Now, included in this hardware issue could be something as simple as the HDMI cable. I have seen plenty of issues where a different cable fixes everything...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

1. There is F3 for disabling Fast Boot. It is displayed only if Fast Boot is enabled and can be find in Power Button Menu. See para 3.7.4, page 66 in Technical Product Specification.
  2. The same Power Menu (in addition to other function) can be seen in Configuration Mode. The Configuration Mode (see Table 22, page 53 in TPS), can be reached while booting NUC, with BIOS Security Jumper removed and without USB stick with Bios file inserted into USB port.
  3. In the old Bios version there was a requirement for monitor to support for the 1024x768 resolution in order to display Bios graphics. Not all TV set can support such resolution.
  4. You are connected to mini HDMI output in your NUC. Try to use the mini DP output (you may use mini DP to HDMI cable).
  5. Other reason that may cause the inability to boot into Windows installation USB are old (unused) entries in the EFI boot structure. See this video explaining how to check and remove such entries.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Leon,

You are correct that the Power Button Menu supports an F3 option to disable Fast Boot, but we are not talking about the Power Button Menu. We are talking about the function keys supported at the BIOS POST splash screen. There is no F3 support there at all, but the issue is moot because the keyboard is not enabled if Fast Boot is enabled.

I am not sure that testing with a miniDP to HDMI dongle/cable is going to accomplish anything (and has a cost!). The OP says the monitor is working once you are in Linux. The question is why it isn't working prior to Linux taking over.

I agree that the 1024x768 restriction is definitely worth investigating. It is true that, back in the day, this was a problem. It is unclear whether, with recent BIOS updates, this remains a requirement.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @SConn11​ ,

1. Try to disable Fast Boot from Configuration Mode (see para.2 in my previous post):
  2. Power your NUC with with Bios Security Jumper Removed and without devices in USB slot. Even if you don't see any video output after 2-3 minutes, your NUC should enter Configuration Mode.
  3. After waiting ~3 minutes, depress F3.

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Update and resolution: Display port worked!

Got my display port to HDMI cable in today, and even on the same monitor that was not showing the flash screen via mini-HDMI to HDMI I was able to see it.

Since I could now enter and view BIOS, I noticed under Video Configuration that IGD Primary Video Port was set to Display Port. Out of curiosity, I set it to Auto. I then powered down, swapped back to my mini-HDMI to HDMI cable, and tried again. I could now see the flash screen and enter BIOS, so I guess that setting was causing the issue.

Thank you everyone for your help. Now time for a fresh install.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ah, that makes sense. I never think of that BIOS parameter because I always leave it on Auto.

Glad you sorted it all out (and letting us know!).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hi @SConn11​ 

I'm glad that one of my advises helped and you can install Windows now.

Leon

0 Kudos