Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.
11977 Discussions

D54250WYK1: Unknown Device ACPI\MSFT0101

PElde
Beginner

erA fresh install of Windows 7 Professional SP1 x64.

After installing all of the device drivers from the NUC Pack (November 2013) I have this one device left:

ACPI\MSFT0101

*MSFT0101

Search Results come up as a TPM?

I don't see any such driver in the Intel Download Centre. So, where do we get a driver?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Craig_W_Intel
Employee

Philip,

Since this is still marked as unanswered, I will attempt to do that for you.

Intel Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) is a type of virtual TPM. It resides in the FW of your NUC and is controlled by the system BIOS. The version of TPM it emulates is TPM v2.0, which is not recognized by Windows 7.The hotfix from Microsoft will resolve the unknown device/yellow bang in Device Manager but will not make it usable. This is true for PCs that have a HW TPM v2.0 as well. There is no support for them under Windows 7 and no way to get them to work. TPM v1.2 and earlier are the ones supported by Windows 7.

For the ACPI\MSFT0101 unknown device you can also simply disable Intel PTT. On Intel NUCs Visual BIOS: BIOS Setup Advanced - Security - Security Features pane - uncheck Intel Platform Trust Technology.

Intel PTT was created as a way of satisfying Microsoft's requirement that Client PCs have a TPM for newer Windows products (8.1 and later).

Hope this helps.

Craig W, Intel TME

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that you had issues with Intel drivers.

You may either disable TPM or load latest Management Engine Interface drivers here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23091&keyword=D54250WYK&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23091&keyword=D54250WYK&lang=eng

Allan.

JB20
Beginner

I am confused. I had the understanding the kit does not have or support TPM. Is this correct? Or is TPM support provided by the Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT). Does this mean the PTT must be enabled in Bios before Bitlocker can be used?

LHill_Intel

Hi Philip,

I quickly reproduced what you are seeing on your system with the Unknown Device in Device Manager. This NUC does not include support for TPM, so I'm not sure why it thinks it does. I got rid of the error just by disabling Intel Platform Trust Technology on the Security page in BIOS.

I'm going to alert the engineering team about this so they can investigate.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

LHill_Intel

Hi Philip,

The BIOS item for Intel Platform Trust Technology is there for the benefit of the Windows 8.1 security requirements. Since you are using Windows 7, you can safely disable it in BIOS.

Regards,

Lois H.

Intel

PElde
Beginner

Hi,

I will give that a shot and report back.

FYI: No TPM shows up in Win81 Enterprise x64 with all options enabled in the BIOS.

MWill26
Beginner

I have the same problem using Windows 7 Enterprise X64 all drivers installed I still cant manage the TPM. It's still missing in the device manager if I boot on an windows to go usb stick with windows 8 on it I can see it and manage the tpm...?

g_paz
Beginner

you need a Microsoft hot fix in order to fix unknown device ACPI\MSFT0101. hotfix is https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2920188 here

Craig_W_Intel
Employee

Philip,

Since this is still marked as unanswered, I will attempt to do that for you.

Intel Platform Trust Technology (Intel PTT) is a type of virtual TPM. It resides in the FW of your NUC and is controlled by the system BIOS. The version of TPM it emulates is TPM v2.0, which is not recognized by Windows 7.The hotfix from Microsoft will resolve the unknown device/yellow bang in Device Manager but will not make it usable. This is true for PCs that have a HW TPM v2.0 as well. There is no support for them under Windows 7 and no way to get them to work. TPM v1.2 and earlier are the ones supported by Windows 7.

For the ACPI\MSFT0101 unknown device you can also simply disable Intel PTT. On Intel NUCs Visual BIOS: BIOS Setup Advanced - Security - Security Features pane - uncheck Intel Platform Trust Technology.

Intel PTT was created as a way of satisfying Microsoft's requirement that Client PCs have a TPM for newer Windows products (8.1 and later).

Hope this helps.

Craig W, Intel TME