Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

D54250WYKH - Wake - Never Does

I see many people with issues getting their NUC to sleep (constant reboot loop). I am having a different issue.

I would like my NUC to stay on full-time...or at least wake from sleep when requested.

• I have set everything in Windows 7 to Never
  • I have changed settings in the bios numerous times to no avail.
  • I have changed power settings on the NIC

The NUC will not wake from:

• WoL (wake-on-lan utility, and teamviewer WoL utility)
  • Mouse or Keyboard movement (I read this is by design)
  • Power button

My unit sleeps after 10 minutes:

• Power light stays green
  • NIC light green with some activity

Pressing the power button does nothing

I end up having to hold the power button in to shut the NUC off completely - then power it back on.

I really need this to stay on 24-7 as my goal is to place NUCs in several locations that only have one single NUC, so no other devices on the network to send a WoL magic packet.

Thank you for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Re: D54250WYKH - Wake - Never Does

OK a couple of more items.

• When powered completely off, the NUC does power on with WoL magic packets

• However, it does not boot completely unless the monitor is connected and powered on
  • Also, it will stay awake for over 10 minutes as long as I have the monitor on.
  • Once the monitor is powered off, the NUC is no longer available (via ping, teamviewer, etc.) and it will not wake up to a usable state - not even when the monitor is turned back on

Why would the monitor being off impact my ability to access the NUC?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

After narrowing my issue down a bit more, I was able to find this thread:

I will be following it to see if that fixes my issue

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Installing uninstalling the intel driver, and re-installing did seem to make a difference.

The NUC does now start windows with or without a monitor.

However - When using Teamviewer to connect to it, all I see is a black screen.

I plug a monitor in and the monitor works and teamviewer shows the screen.

I disconnect the monitor and teamviewer does continue to work (even with a disconnect and reconnect - perhaps Teamviewer needs the monitor to be plugged in at least one time before disconnecting). I will test more later to see how this works over an extended time period.

Very frustrating. Almost sent this unit back until I ran across the "headless" issues postings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Employee

AngeliaT1. Thank you for posting your results.

Please try the following driver that was developed for NUC systems:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23758 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23758

It was released as beta but please provide any feedback once you test driver version 10.18.10.3540

Allan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the suggestion Allan. Unfortunately that did not work. I had already tried that one, but tried it again.

• Starting the NUC - with this driver, it does not boot into windows at all - nor does it respond to ping requests
  • If I connect via Teamviewer and then pull out the HDMI cable or power off the monitor, the teamviewer session locks up and then drops

The driver on this page is the one that will allow me to boot WITH a monitor attached, then power the monitor off, I am still able to connect via teamviewer....until the unit reboots (monitor is off at this point).

Robert_U Mar 21, 2014 5:46 PM - driver version 3496

Robert_U's driver is really close to a working solution. I really hope you guys can pull it together and get this worked out soon. It uses a lot of extra electricity running a monitor 24/7 - not to mention the bright glowing light I do not want to see 24/7.

-Angelia

0 Kudos