Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

DC3217IYE - No bootable device found

Ok, so I just received the DC3217IYE NUC w/ a crucial m4 msata and 4gb of ram. Installed Win8 Pro and ran the updates.

I plan on using this as a headless mini server, so I also enabled RDP. After everything was setup and running I powered down the unit and moved it to the server room. I powered it up and went back to my main workstation.

After a few moments an RDP attempt is made. The error comes back that the computer is not on, so I take the monitor back and hook it up.

Low and behold the message on screen says No bootable device found visit .

It won't even post the bios boot screen; it just goes straight to the error msg.

I haven't been able to find anything helpful on the site, so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows what the issue is??

TIA

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Lois, slightly off topic, but I am planning a proof of concept with various NUC models and was wondering if I can buy the thermal kits in advance? I checked on click.intel.com and the only items for the NUC listed are the VESA mount and the power adapter...

I am just going to buy a spread of units from Newegg.com as there does not seem to be any resellers of the NUC in my area (Seattle Washington) and want to have the thermal pads ready just in case.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

OK well - my experience has not been good. This device is garbage. Fundamentally it simply does not work.

I am using a DC3217BY NUC with an intel SSD "SSDMCEAC060B3" 64Gb

Kingston memory 2 SIMMS 8GB each "A7LDM-8P0CNC-7XRLB"

I can boot from the USB drive but never from the SSD after correctly installing the OS - Linux Mint 15.

I cannot boot from the SSD after "installing" the software. The error message from the bios is::

"Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

"or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Of course inserting a USB drive and pressing a key does not work. Pressing a key without a USB drive does not work. There is no ability to interact with the BIOS.

The keyboard does not interact with the system. The mouse works in the graphical bios, but not the keyboard.

WTF??

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I took the label off my mSATA board and the mSATA temp went from 44C or so to 36C bceause the Intel thermal pad now contacts the SSD ICs directly. The lable is a thermal insulator. Now my DC3217IYE works reliably.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

I had the same problem today after I installed Ubuntu 14.10 x64 from 4GB USB onto an Intel 530 120GB mSata in D54250WYK. All I had to do is to create "EFI partition" when creating the partitions and setting the mount points. That's all , after the install the system booted without any problem. I think the legacy boot was/is also enabled. The mSata SSD has GPT partition style , partitions in order are (1) EFI partition (2) swap area (3) system-files /

"OK well - my experience has not been good. This device is garbage. Fundamentally it simply does not work."

Well, ....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor III

For the record Im using a D54250WYK with Ubuntu 14.10 x64 installed from a USB-drive onto Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and did that without EFI partition. UEFI disabled in bios and Legacy boot enabled.

In my case I used the minimal installation (who fetches everything over Internet) and in the end (when GRUB is to be written) I had to remove my USB-drive (because the device names otherwise would become mixed, that is /dev/sda is the USB-drive during install while after install its the onboard SSD-drive).

0 Kudos