cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DP monitor wakes every 30s in Windows Powersave mode

NUC8i5BEK, Windows 10

Primary monitor - Monitor LG 29WK600 (Displayport)(https://www.lg.com/za/monitors/lg-29WK600-W)

Secondary monitor - LG 25UM58-P (HDMI)

Cable - USB-C to Displayport cable ( https://uniaccessories.io/products/usb-c-to-displayport-cable-4k-60hz-uni-thunderbolt-3-to-displaypo...)

I use two screens, so am forced with the NUC to use the USB-C output for one of the screens.

When Windows goes into powersave mode and blanks the screens, both monitors go to sleep fine, but 30 seconds later the Displayport monitor will wake up with a blank screen before saying ''no signal'' and then going back to sleep. Rinse and repeat almost exactly every 30 seconds.

Makes me think there is some sort of usb polling activity waking it? The HDMI side of things works as expected.

I attach the output from DXDIAG if anyone can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
40 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor I

A couple of us have reported this issue to Intel and they say they need a few days to look into the issue. It is as you say, a USB-C -> Displayport connected monitor will not stay in power save mode and keeps cycling in and out. This happens with any driver later than 7259 so if you can revert to that driver you will find the issue resolved until Intel releases an updated driver.

The other issue we're having is the inability to bring the monitor out of power save mode after an extended period, like overnight. This also happens with any driver later than 7259 and with either a USB-C or HDMI connection.

Fingers crossed Intel sorts it out soon.

This is a link to the post where the issue was reported.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the information. I'll monitor that other post for any updates.

I find with the wake issue - I need to turn on or wake the DP monitor a second or two before before I wake the PC from S3 sleep, otherwise I stand zero chance of getting any output on that monitor unless I reboot Windows.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JMood1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue with the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEK persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

In the thread I linked to above an Intel support rep said he was would investigate and get back to us. Yes, of course the problem still exists since there have been no further drivers released since we reported the issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Yes absolutely the problems still persist - both with sleep and wake on the USB-C displayport.

The wake problem pretty much makes the PC useless if you can't get to your desktop. It seems even a reboot won't bring the monitor back, needed a hard reset the other day when I spent a frantic 6 minutes trying to get in via the extended monitor.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JMood1, Thank you very much for providing that information, we will be more than glad to further assist you.

Since you already install Intel® Graphics driver version 26.20.100.8141, which is the latest:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29230/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers-for-Intel-NUC?...

We will do further research on this matter, for us to be able to do that, please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about your platform, to attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

PDeac1, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please keep checking your original thread for possible updates on this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thank you for the help. Please find report attached.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JMood1, You are very welcome, thank you very much for providing the SSU report.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

JMood1, I just received an update on this matter.

There are some further troubleshooting steps that we can try:

​​​​​​1-If the issue occurred after any recent software, Operating System update, hardware or BIOS changes, try to undo those changes.

2- If using Windows® Operating Systems, check the Power Options on Power Options/Plan settings on Control Panel.

3- Check the Power Settings/Eco Mode on the TV/Monitor. For instructions on how to check these settings, contact the TV/Monitor manufacturer.

4- Load defaults settings in the NUC's BIOS:

a- Press F2 during boot to enter BIOS Setup.

b- Press F9 to set defaults.

c- Press F10 to save and exit BIOS.

5- If loading defaults BIOS does not help, check the power sleep states on the NUC.

Go to the BIOS and check the following settings:

a- Advanced > Devices > Onboard Devices > Auto Turn On TV> Select "From S3/S4/S5 Boot" 

TV turns on when Intel® NUC is powered on or resumes from S3/S4/S5 state.

b- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > Deep S4/S5 > Select Disabled

Disable to allow to wake up from other methods besides the power button.

c- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > USB S4/S5 Power > Enabled

Enable the USB Port power in S4/S5 state.

d- Advance > Power > Secondary Power Settings (Right Section) > Wake on USB from S5 > Enabled.

Enable Wake on USB from S5 state.

For more information regarding Intel NUC's BIOS settings, please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006028/intel-nuc.html

6- Check correct voltage memory: Use the correct voltage memory modules for the Intel NUC. To find the memory requirement for the Intel® NUC, go to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027798/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

7- Check with the TV/monitor manufacturer for firmware updates that might help to solve the issue.

8- Test the NUC with minimal configuration by removing all non-necessary components like USB devices, external hard drives, adapters and use only wired mouse and keyboard. This may help to diagnose if the issue is related to a particular component connected to the NUC.

9- If using a graphics driver version higher than 25.20.100.6519, roll it back to this specific driver version. It has been reported that this driver version fixes wake up issues.

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

A Contingent Worker at Inte

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

OK. I went through your list and then updated to 26.20.100.8141. The result was exactly the same as before. I rolled back to 26.20.100.7529 and all is well again. The only thing I was unable to find is a firmware update for my LG LG UHD 24UD58 monitor - but as this works absolutely perfectly with 26.20.100.7529 I still think it is your issue and as soon as Windows Update offers the later driver I am pretty sure you will receive many support requests about the same problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Today I updated to the May 2020 release of Windows 10 (2004 update) and found driver graphics driver 26.20.100.8141 was auto installed, leading me back to the problems I originally reported. I installed igfx_win10_100.8190, with the same result. I had to revert once again to 26.20.100.7529 and the monitor sleeps correctly and wakes consistently. It took me a while to find 26.20.100.7529 since Intel seems to have removed it from the website. Where do we go from here? Are we destined to use 26.20.100.7529 for ever? It would be nice to be using a graphics driver with takes advantage of the improvements in the Windows 2004 update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JMood1, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Phillip Deackes, Thank you very much for sharing that information.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hello, Albert. Sorry for the delay.

I've been going through your list and still have both problems, although after changing some BIOS settings the display is now coming out of powersaving every 60 seconds, not 30 anymore. Will report back with further testing after the weekend as my NUC now won't boot windows after the bios changes & saving and reloading a profile. Boot device not detected. The UEFI boot priority screen shows 6 of the same entries... ? See screenshot attached.

The second problem I mentioned in one of my replies where the DP monitor will not come on if the PC is booted or resumed from sleep where that display is either powered off or has been auto powered off is still a very big problem. Reported in this post IMG_20200529_141432.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Now that's interesting. It looks like you have the same monitor as me! If so that might be the problem. Mine is an LG 24UD58, a lovely little 4K job.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JMood1, No problem at all, thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Since the Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i5BEK works with the Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics 655 controller, for testing purposes, please try to install Intel® Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8190:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29557/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=140931

It is strange that the Intel® NUC is showing 6 of the same entries.

How are you installing Windows*?

Where did you get it from?

Go ahead and, as you mentioned, try further testings during the weekend and report back once you get the chance, please let us know how the Intel® NUC works after installing Intel® Graphics driver version 27.20.100.8190.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

I am not a programmer, but is it not possible to examine the difference between what 26.20.100.7529 does to put the monitor into sleep mode and wake it up again and the changes made to all subsequent drivers? Has anyone done this? If I spend a few hundred £s on a new monitor will the issue be solved? Are you aware of others having the same issues with monitors other than LG?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Hi Albert. I know your question was directed to JMood1 but as you know I have the same issue with monitor cycling when it should be sleeping, and the monitor refusing to wake in the morning (yet Windows is still running perfectly, I just can't wake the monitor to see it). I tried 27.20.100.8190 and had the monitor cycling issue again. I swapped my USB 2 -> Display Port for an HDMI -> HDMI cable, and the cycling went away (just as it did for 26.20.100.8141). However, the display still refused to wake up in the morning as I feared. Reverting to 26.20.100.7529 solved the issue completely. 26.20.100.7529 is the latest useable version.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I also noticed that searches for this problem brought up LG quite often but I did see Dell mentioned too.

I find the LG panels quite beautiful, like painted pictures. Just some have quite an IPS glow which you get used to.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I managed to sort out the boot problem and the 6 boot entries. I've no idea how they got there or why but I rebuilt the BCD boot record and all is well

New driver version 27.20.100.8190 makes no difference.

Problem 1: (DP monitor wakes continuously from powersave) 

Setting the BIOS back to default definitely changes the frequency of these wakes (30 seconds to 60 seconds) but I just havent been able to determine what setting is doing it. The only differences I can see: 

Network boot is enabled in Default 

IGD port is set to auto in Default, whereas I had it set to Primary > Thunderbolt and Secondary > HDMI.

Problem two:  (DP monitor no display if monitor powered off when NUC resumes from S3)

Setup:

Dual screens HDMI and Thunderbolt > DisplayPort

DisplayPort monitor set to Display 1.

HDMI Monitor set to Display 2.

Multiple displays set to: Extended 

Steps to reproduce:

Put Windows to sleep.

Turn off the DisplayPort monitor

Wake windows.

Turn on the DisplayPort monitor

Result: No display on the DisplayPort monitor until a reboot.

This is difficult however as Windows thinks the display is there and working.

This has to be a BIOS issue. Do the same thing when Windows doesn't go to sleep and the monitor is redetected perfectly.

0 Kudos