Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12538 Discussions

DSA on NUC7I5BNH - can't update RealTek card reader driver

DJinCA
New Contributor I

The monitoring function of DSA found a new updates were available for both the BIOS & the RealTek card reader drivers.

The BIOS was updated, no problem. However the attempt to update the card reader driver resulted in a message saying it was successful but the DSA was still showing an update was available. Multiple runs to D/L & update the driver did not succeed.

Next, the IOBit utility Driver Booster (v9.1.0 - free) was installed. A scan showed the driver for the card reader was out of date. That driver was updated successfully.

Now DSA not only shows the driver is up to date but there's a nice little green icon "Up to Date" shown. No other items on the DSA report have that green icon.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @DJinCA

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further, could you please provide us with the following details?

1- Do you know what the previous version was of the Realtek* Card Reader driver installed on the system?

2- What was the Realtek* Card Reader driver offered by Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) that could not be installed?

3- What is the current version installed on the system of the Realtek* Card Reader driver? Could you please verify on Windows* Device Manager and Windows* Apps & Feutures and provide us with screenshots?

4- Screenshots showing the current scan results, messages, and/or errors on Intel® DSA:

5- What is the Intel® DSA version running on the system?

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Note:

We neither recommend nor guarantee the use of third-party apps to scan for updates and install drivers. The recommendation is to use Intel® DSA (when applicable for the supported components) or download the drivers directly from the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) website. For Intel® NUCs, it is the Intel® Download Center.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

DJinCA
New Contributor I

I will gather doc & Install/execute Intel SSU and then post to the thread a bit later today.

Thanks.

DJ

DJinCA
New Contributor I

I just discovered an inconsistency.

I save reports using the DSA "Save a Report" but those saved reports do not have any details for either Intel Management Engine or Realtek PCIE Cardreader found at the bottom-most section "Other." Is this normal/expected? I guess I have not paid close attention to what the DSA report displays when a scan is performed and when a report is saved. The assumption was I could answer Q1 from those saved DSA reports.

To be able to answer (1) I might be able to get the version of the Card Reader driver from some Nirsoft utility save reports.

If necessary, I can try to regress the driver for the reader and then attempt to reproduce problem.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

That is correct. It is (thus) always worthwhile to also run the Intel SSU tool and provide its report (which will have this information)

...S

DJinCA
New Contributor I

A1 - 2019-05-15 10.0.18362.29098 Realtek Pcie Cardreader for 2K/XP/Vista/Win7/Win8 RtsP2Stor.sys

A2 - 4/29/2019 10.0.19041.21342 (Latest)

A3 - Please note: the prior effort using a 3rd party utility to update the driver was rolled back. The current version: 2019-04-29 10.0.18362.29098. Find U/L screen shot file.

A4 - The incorrect results was reproduced, i.e. running DSA proceeded to D/L the update and InstallShield completed successfully but DSA still shows a driver update message for the same device/driver.

A5 - DSAServiceHelper.exe: 21.7.50.3 (2021-12-08 13:57).

A6 - Find U/L screen shot files.

I believe I have supplied all the requested info -- LMK if I've missed anything.

TIA

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

Thank you for all the details provided.

Based on the description of the behavior, we understand that you (1) Download and install the Realtek* Card Reader Driver using the update option offered by Intel® DSA, (2) the InstallShield Wizard launches and completes successfully, (3) After the installation Intel® DSA keeps showing that the same update is still available, and (4) if you review the actual driver version on Device Manager it is still showing the previous version, not the latest. Is this correct?

One quick question: After installing the driver, did you try rebooting the system to the discard that the behavior was not related to a pending reboot?

If you did, please try the following steps and let us know the outcome:

• Ensure you are using a supported browser (Chrome*, Firefox*, or Edge*) and try with a different browser if you are already using a supported browser.
  • Clear your browser cache.
  • Try uninstalling (the normal way through Windows* Add/Remove programs) and then reinstalling Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Version 21.7.50.3.
  • If the previous step didn't help, please completely uninstall one more time but this time using the special Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller which removes all files related to Intel® DSA and then do a fresh install of the latest version again.

If the issue persists, please provide us with the following information to check this further:

1- What browser are you using and version number or build number:

2- Do you have any browser plug-ins (ad blocking or script blocking)?

3- Do you have security or anti-virus software installed, if yes, please provide details.

4- Please attach all the Intel® DSA files zipped from the following folder "C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA", not just .log files but all the files and subfolders, making sure to include in the zip the following subfolders:

• C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA\Logs
  • C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA\Data

Note: The ProgramData folder may be hidden by default so you may need to un-hide it to view the Intel® DSA files. Instructions to un-hide are: > Windows File Explorer > View > Show/Hide: check the box for "Hidden Items".

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DJinCA
New Contributor I

>>Based on the description of the behavior, we understand that you (1) Download and install the Realtek* Card Reader Driver using the update option offered by Intel® DSA, (2) the InstallShield Wizard launches and completes successfully, (3) After the installation Intel® DSA keeps showing that the same update is still available, and (4) if you review the actual driver version on Device Manager it is still showing the previous version, not the latest. Is this correct?<<

Yes, that is correct.

The browser used is Firefox @ 97.0 .

As requested, cleared the cache then retried updating the cardreader driver -- no change.

Uninstalled DSA using the Windows Control Panel app then reinstalled DSA 21.7.50.3 using a newly D/L copy of the installation app then retried the driver update process -- N/C.

D/L the DSA Uninstaller app, install & used it to remove DSA, reboot, re-install DSA 21.7.50.3, retry driver update -- N/C.

Using Edge browser (V98.0.1108.56) to retry running DSA but still no progress -- InstallShield shows success but a rescan by DSA still shows a new driver is available for the cardreader.

No script blocking and running Ghostery in Firefox.

Running MSFT Defender.

ZIPPED files/folders U/L.

LMK if I've overlooked anything.

Maison
Beginner

Same here at a NUC NUC7i7BNB the drive finishes the installation but does not update, if I do the manual installation the device does not work.

Maison_0-1645318116047.png

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

Thank you for your response and for the logs. Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

We have released a new version of Intel® DSA. Could you please run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant Uninstaller one more time to remove the tool and then install the latest Intel® DSA Version 22.1.8.8?

If the behavior persists, please try to manually update the Realtek* Card Reader Driver just to confirm if the behavior is different without using Intel® DSA.

Realtek* Card Reader Driver for Intel® NUC Version 10.0.19041.21342. (For installation instructions, please refer to Readme.txt file)

Please report back the outcome of the steps.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DJinCA
New Contributor I

Sorry, no joy.

The newest Uninstaller was used to remove DSA then DSA Version 22.1.8.8 was installed. DSA reported the card reader driver had a new driver, the update process was performed successfully but a rescan by DSA still reported a newer driver was available.

The driver update ZIP file was used to perform a manual driver update but DSA still showed a new driver was available.

Logs from the DSAuninstall & the SSU reports U/L.

Maison
Beginner

Same here

I installed the new version to install, but again I say the problem is in the drive..... Even installing on a nuc without the intel drive it does not update....

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @DJinCA

Thank you for your efforts in trying this and for the feedback. Please allow us to check this further. As soon as more details are available, we will be posting here in the thread.

Hello @Maison

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities and for your feedback. We will also take this into consideration.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Ronny_G_Intel
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I apologize for the inconvenience, we updated the driver in IDSA and the issue should be fixed by now, please give it a try and report back if you still have issues.

Regards,

Ronny G

DJinCA
New Contributor I

Thanks for the update.

Just so I am clear, is the updated drive what is installed as a part of the regular DSA process? Is there a specific version we should be expecting to see?

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

Thank you for your response. Please allow us to check these inquiries and we will be posting back with more details.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

In regards to your inquiry, we would like to inform you that the driver version should be 10.0.19041.21342. The manually downloaded version and Intel® DSA version should be the same.

If you have additional inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DJinCA
New Contributor I

I checked DSA on my NUC, and, surprise! it no longer is flagging the Card Reader as needing a driver update.

Additionally, I also have a NUC8I7BEH. In the recent past DSA on it also was flagging the Card Reader but I took no action. When I found that the NUC7I5 was no longer "complaining" I then looked at the 8I7 -- same thing, DSA was reporting all drivers up to date.

I'll take a SWAG and guess the criteria for updating the Card Reader on both of these (older) devices has changed and therefore DSA is now no longer finding a back level driver.

Is it safe to assume no further is needed?

DJ

AndrewG_Intel

Hello DJinCA

Thank you for your response.

Yes, we have received confirmation from our team that the issue was already solved and we are also glad to know that Intel® DSA is now working as expected showing that all drivers are up to date, so we may think that this request is solved. If you also agree to consider this resolved, please let us know. Otherwise, or if you have additional questions regarding this request, please don't hesitate to contact us back, we will be glad to help.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

DJinCA
New Contributor I

If DSA is happy then I'm happy. So, yes, I would consider the issue resolved. Please close it.