Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12525 Discussions

DSA says SSD 660p Firmware Update 005C available, but Solidigm says 004c is up to date

jonathan0013
Novice

Intel Driver & Support Assistant says "1 software update available" - "Intel SSD 660p Series Firmware Update" / "Version: NHF005C  Release Date: March 31, 2022". 

Both Solidigm Storage Tool and Intel Memory and Storage Tool report that I'm up to date with Firmware 004C. 

I'd just like to clear the orange dot on the DSA tray icon. Thanks.

1 Solution
DeividA_Intel

Hello jonathan0013, 

Thanks for all the information, In this case, I will appreciate it if you perform a clean reinstallation of the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

If the update still showing, after installing Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) and running a scan, zip up all files in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA and send the zip folder:

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

12 Replies
NO_MAVD
Beginner

Same issue here.

Intel/Solidigm please clarify.

DeividA_Intel

Hello jonathan0013,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your 

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Can you share a picture of the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) notification?

3. When did the issue start?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

theLineman
Beginner

Hi! 

I am new here, but i got the same issue. I can't even download the updates? (I got two 660p's)

However, i followed the instructions, and here are the data I believe you asked for? 

Intel DSA.png

jonathan0013
Novice

These three screenshots tell the whole story.

The Intel Memory and Storage Tool says that Firmware 004C is current:

Intel MAS says 4C is currentIntel MAS says 4C is current

The Solidigm Storage Tool says that 004C is the "Latest Firmware":

Solidigm says 4C is currentSolidigm says 4C is current

But the Intel Driver & Support Assistant says that there is "1 software update available", namely "Version: NHF005C."

Intel Driver & Support Asst says 5C is availableIntel Driver & Support Asst says 5C is available

I've attached the ssu scan result but it's not clear that it adds anything to this report.

DDR4040
Novice

Same exact issue for about a week now after installing Solidigm Storage Tool. 

ZSG
Beginner

Thanks for getting the ball rolling jonathan0013

I too have the exact same issue and can attest that the images you provided are exactly what I am seeing on my PC.

Intel DSA shows an Intel SSD 660p firmware update (NHF005C) but the recently installed Intel Solidigm program shows the current firmware (004C) as being up to date.

Confusing, and extremely annoying considering the Intel DSA icon pops up in the system tray every time I turn on my PC and yet I can't actually update the firmware as it is suggesting to make the icon disappear.

When will this be remedied?

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello @jonathan0013 , @DDR4040 , @ZSG , @NO_MAVD 

In the mean time, until this issue will be fixed, you may turn OFF this update indication in IDSA.

Leon

DeividA_Intel

Hello jonathan0013, 

Thanks for the pictures and the report. Before we continue further, I would like to confirm the following:

1. What happens when you try to install the driver from Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

2. Do you get any errors? If so, can you take any pictures?

3. Have you tried to install it manually?

4. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

jonathan0013
Novice

Thanks for following up - I really appreciate it.

1. What happens when you try to install the driver from Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

That's not possible - you install SSD firmware updates using a Storage Tool - either the Intel Memory & Storage Tool or the Solidigm Storage Tool.  Clicking the "Intel SSD 660p Series Firmware Update" link in the DSA page just expands the accordion to show "Version: NHF005C  Release Date: March 31, 2022" and the "Hide just this update" checkbox.

2. Do you get any errors? If so, can you take any pictures?

No... No errors. No way to get errors, I think.

3. Have you tried to install it manually?

I'm not sure that's possible. Firmware files aren't publicly available, and even if I had the file, neither Storage Tool allows installation from a local copy. The normal path is that a Storage Tool fetches (and authenticates?) and installs updates.

4. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)?

No, but it's not clear to me how that would affect matters. I'm willing to give it a try...

The problem, I think, is that some update has been made to a table DSA uses to determine which drivers can be updated, but the Storage Tools look to a different table -- which isn't in sync.

I came across the Intel® SSD Firmware Update Tool but the release notes say that it updates drive firmware only to 004C.

Thanks again

DeividA_Intel

Hello jonathan0013, 

Thanks for all the information, In this case, I will appreciate it if you perform a clean reinstallation of the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA).

If the update still showing, after installing Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) and running a scan, zip up all files in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA and send the zip folder:

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

jonathan0013
Novice

Thanks! That fixed it: 

jonathan0013_0-1649966466000.png

I guess there's no 005C update after all - DSA shows the 660p current at 004C:

jonathan0013_1-1649966531371.png

Thanks again for your patient assistance.

DeividA_Intel

Hello jonathan0013, 

I am glad to know that the issue was fixed by reinstalling the tool.

I will proceed and close this thread, however, you can open a new one in case you need further assistance.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.