Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DPers1
New Contributor III

Disable 2381 Intel Display audio

NUC7i5BNH, Audio Devices mysteriously going missing.

I have had all kinds of issues with audio, mainly lost audio devices. Tried all kinds of stuff. After a lot of testing I can say:

Disable 2381 Intel Display audio, and all your problems will be gone.

At first I thought it was an issue with Realtek Audio but it's not.

I'm not even sure what 2381 Intel Display audio is supposed to do, the only thing that happens when I disable it is that all audio issues disappear.

In sound settings I select what audio is output goes to what device and everything works great.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

I understand that the Intel® Display Audio Driver causes system conflicts. I would like to assist you with this issue.

It seems that the Intel® HD Graphics Driver, which also includes the Intel® Display Audio Driver, is causing system issues. First, I would like to know the Intel® HD Graphics Driver version installed in your unit. Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to get basic system information.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

By knowing the graphics driver installed in your Intel® NUC, we can get more information to troubleshoot this issue.

If you still need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.
DPers1
New Contributor III

Wanner,

Right now I,m on, win64_24.20.100.6229. When I made this post I was on win64_24.20.100.6194.

Basically the problem is the same regardless of driver version, I still keep 2381 Disabled and only have My USB soundbar and TV as enabled Audio devices.

USB Soundbar is set to Default Audio

TV is set to Default Communication Device(Just because the option was there, not really sure if it makes any difference)

In sound settings I then direct output to either device depending on application.

I basically have no problem with this setup, I have set the NUC to never sleep Hard disk to never sleep, my USB soundbar does not wake if I let PC sleep, I'm pretty sure that's a soundbar issue,happened on old PC to, replugging USB get's it working again..... screen sleeps after three minutes.

I can boot/wake the NUC with TV on or off and both audio options are still there.

I have noticed that if I boot PC and TV is off and I fail to sign in to windows(hit power on go make a cup of coffee and when I I get back to PC the screen is off) returning to PC and "wake it up" to sign in then it will come up with the TV missing in sound options. So Now I sign in and then make coffee

I also used to have problems with Icons missing from Taskbar on the TV not 100 percent sure if this setup fixed that issue(because it's not happening anymore), I suspect the fix for this was Putting my monitor(main Display) on HDMI and TV on Thunderbolt, they were the other way around when I had ICON issues.

Anyhow I'm quite happy with this setup

Main Display on HDMI and 2381 disabled......

DPers1
New Contributor III

Wanner,

The scan File attached

idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

Thank you for sharing these workarounds to the audio issues your setup was experiencing.

I am trying to gather more information to find out why this 2381 Intel® Display Audio causes system conflicts. Could you also attach a picture of the Sound Control Panel showing this enabled/disabled?

Wanner G.
DPers1
New Contributor III

Since the original post I have swapped out my TV to a new TCL LEDP65P6US 4K TV, that meant that I had to move the TV to the HDMI port for full HDMI2 support and 2160 mode on 60Hz Refresh(my TB/USBC to HDMI adapter only supported 30Hz). Having the master on Thunderbolt causes other issues but I'll leave that for another post.....

Edit. Trying to use HDMI2 60hz was a painful experience, probably caused by the fact that I used a 5Meter Cable (that seemed OK) very bad streaming up-scaling of 720 video etc. and lots of mysterious issues cropping up (could be a good way for Intel to test for BIOS issues with recovery etc.) Going back to 30Hz 2160 Mode solved those issues and since Im not a gamer 30Hz is fine for streaming of the web or from the NUC directly.

Above is the SCP settings. I am running windows insider skip ahead build 18219 (Home X64) but I had this issue on the earlier insider build also.

I now have an issue where selecting sound output device on a per app level is not remembered for some apps(VLC and Chrome plays on TV fist time around bust switches audio back to default(USB Speaker) the next time you open the app(this can be fixed by hard selecting sound output in VLC and using an extention for chrome)) This could be a problem with the latest insider build so I'm not worried about that bit.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

Based on the picture attached, 2381 seems to be an external device that is causing system conflicts when enabled. It is not part of the graphics driver package installed in your system.

In addition, using Windows Insider can also cause system conflicts. In these cases, it is recommended to use the latest version validated, 17134.

Wanner G.
DPers1
New Contributor III

Wanner.

I just realized that's my display. It's an AOC 2381 monitor 1920 DPI had it for I dont know how many years.

I has no speaker built in. Why would Intel Display Audio recognize this as an audio device?

Never had an issue with audio on my very OLD I3 Tower PC with a very basic NVIDIA board installed.

idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

It seems that audio issues are related to the version of Windows you usually use, Windows 10 Insider Preview, which usually causes multiple problems. For example, this could be related to hardware conflict between the monitor and the operating system.

Wanner G.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Thaidroid,

I wonder if you reverted back to a previous version of Windows* to test the performance of your system. If you do, please let me know.

It is worth mentioning that your feedback is highly appreciated.

Wanner G.
DPers1
New Contributor III

Wanner,

I'm staying on the insider leg, I've been an insider since Microsoft introduced it. I'm not to worried about this anymore now that I know what it is I just keep the 2381 disabled.

I have to apologize for not knowing that it was my own display but I'm ALMOST 100% sure that it never showed up as a sound device in my Old system. Unfortunately that system has been scrapped so

I cant verify that that was the case with 100% certainty. But me believing it was a NUC sound device would indicate that I have never seen this before, so....

Im not sure if this is an AOC issue or a display audio issue but I can assure you this display has no speakers.

I dont think it's a windows insider issue since the disply has been with me at least as long as win 10 has been out.