Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkaga
Beginner

Disable UEFI in BOXNUC7i7BNH / BLKNUC7i7DNHE

Can I disable the UEFI in BOXNUC7i7BNH / BLKNUC7i7DNHE and boot in legacy?

I was NOT able to do it in some NUC8i7HVK

Thanks

0 Kudos
17 Replies
AlHill
Super User

you will find that Legacy is now an albatross, and is being done away with.

Doc

bkaga
Beginner

Al,

Thanks for the answer

I fully understand the fact that UEFI is dominating

I am asking specifically about the two models i mentioned

Is there another NUC8i7 model that still support legacy ?

Best Regards

LeonWaksman
Super User

You will not be able to disable UEFI boot in NUC7i7DNHE, neither. I've checked it on my NUC. I don't have NUC7i7BNH so, I can't check this.

Leon

LeonWaksman
Super User

Just checked NUC8i7INH. This NUC has Aptio 5 BIOS core and the UEFI boot can be disabled and I was be able to boot to Legacy boot USB.

The following NUCs have the new Aptio 5 BIOS, however I could check this ability on NUC8i7INH only:

• Intel® NUC 10 Performance Kits NUC10i7FN, NUC10i5FN, NUC10i3FN
  • Intel® NUC Kits NUC9VXQNX, NUC9V7QNX, NUC9i9QNX, NUC9i7QNX, NUC9i5QNX
  • Intel® NUC 8 Pro Mini PCs NUC8v7PN, NUC8v5PN, NUC8i3PN
  • Intel® NUC 8 Pro Kits NUC8v7PN, NUC8v5PN, NUC8i3PN, NUC8i3PN
  • Intel® NUC 8 Pro Boards NUC8v7PNB, NUC8v5PNB, NUC8i3PNB
  • Intel® NUC 8 Mainstream-G (NUC8i5INH, NUC8i7INH)
  • Intel® NUC Kit NUC8CCHKR, Intel® NUC Board NUC8CCHB

You can't be sure that in the future (in next BIOS versions), the ability to boot from legacy boot will still exist.

Leon

bkaga
Beginner

Thank you

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I checked the bunch of NUCs that I currently have ready access to. The MY, KY, FN, BN, DN and BE NUC families, with latest BIOS releases, continue to support Legacy Boot. Only HN/HV was found to not have Legacy Boot support.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

I can't check so many NUCs Scott can. However, as I wrote in my post above, I checked the NUC7i7DNHE. In my opinion although the option to disable UEFI boot exists in BIOS, it is not working. While you disabling the UEFI boot, the Legacy boot option is checked automatically and Secure Boot is disabled. After depressing on F10, the system is trying to boot without success, even if USB stick with MBR boot is inserted. Next you get message that No bootable drive have been found... After switching the NUC OFF and then ON, the NUC is booting with UEFI boot enabled (with Security Boot disabled).

Regards

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Well that's really ugly. I didn't go that far in my testing, however. Did you try using Legacy Boot without disabling UEFI (yes, you can do that, though you can't have Secure Boot enabled)?

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

In NUC7i7DNHE, you can't enable Legacy Boot at all. You can't boot boot to Legacy Boot drive at all. I know that it was possible in NUC6i5SYH for example.

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Huh? With Secure Boot disabled, I enabled Legacy boot and then use F10 to boot from my MS-DOS USB stick.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

On my NUC7i7DNHE (Bios ver. 0067), I can't save BIOS configuration with Legacy Boot enabled (with or without EEFI boot and with Secure boot disabled). I can't boot with MS-DOS USB stick, nether, even if the Boot is configured to boot from USB first. So, if you can do this, probably this problem is specific problem for my NUC.

Regards

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Time to do a BIOS Recovery. Make sure you fully clear the BIOS configuration after doing so.

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Now it is clear for me why the Legacy Boot is not working for me in NUC7i7DNHE. My NUC has Intel Optane Memory installed. So, the SATA mode is set to Intel Optane. In SATA moed Intel Optane, the UEFI boot is requirement. Once I disabled the Optane Memory and changed SATA mode to AHCI, I can boot also in Legacy Boot mode (after disabling UEFI and Secure Boot). This test took some time, but it was worthy to learn this.

Leon

n_scott_pearson

That makes sense. I forgot that the unit you had came with Optane.

...S

bkaga
Beginner

Maybe some boot loaders will but the one I have does not

BTW - is it a policy of Intel ? Does it mean that in servers we will have same situation in the future ?

Is there a reason to allow only UEFI ?

LeonWaksman
Super User

As I wrote before in the new NUCs model we have new BIOS, based on new AMI core where the Legacy Boot can be used.

Leon

n_scott_pearson

Decisions made within the Client Organization do not necessarily apply in the Servers Organization. I would think that, over time, yes, this will become universal.

So tell me, since this seems to be panicking you, why do you think you need Legacy? There is no current version of Linux or Windows that cannot be booted under UEFI. There may be older versions that cannot, but these versions cannot support the latest hardware anyway, so their discussion is moot.

...S