Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTZ
Novice

Display blanks every few minutes

I have a NUC10i7FNB driving two Dell monitors in 3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz.
OS is Windows 10 PRo 10.0.18363
The left display goes blank for a few seconds every few minutes.
The left display is mDP to USB3
The right display is HDMI

I purchased another cable that had good reviews and the display would not work.
I revered the displays and the left display still has the problem.
There are only two frame rate speeds available, 59 & 60 Hz.

Recommendations?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following: 

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach the report generated:  

• Open the application, check the "Everything" box, and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
  • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
  • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  
  • Use the paperclip icon to attach the report to the thread. Please note that only one file can be attached at a time. 

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers, follow this link

3. From the Intel® NUC to the monitors, are you using any adapter in between? Please provide the cables brand, model number, and revision (e.g. HDMI 2.0); and the adapter's brand and model (if using one). 

4. Also, please provide the monitor's brand and model number. And specify which connector is used for each if possible.  

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

RTZ
Novice

The monitors are Dell U3415W.  3440 x 1440 @ 60 Hz.

I am having trouble with the left monitor.   The cable is USBC -> mDP.  It’s length it 1 meter.  The brand is unknown.

I tried a “Warrky” cable that had good reviews.  The monitor went blank continuously.
It is the cable below, but 1 meter in length.
"USB C to DisplayPort Cable (4K@60Hz, 2K@165Hz, 2K@144Hz) WARRKY [24K Gold-Plated, Slim Aluminum Shell]"

https://www.amazon.com/WARRKY-Gold-Plated-Braided-Thunderbolt-Compatible/dp/B087213LB3/ref=sr_1_17?c...

There are no adapters, just the cable.

RTZ
Novice

Attached is the output from the "Intel UHD Graphics control Panel"

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ, 

Thank you for the information provided. 

Please let us review this behavior internally and kindly wait for our response. We will post on this thread once we have an update. 

Regards, 

Sebastian M.  

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

RTZ
Novice

Any news?  I replaced the USB C <-> DP cable (also Warrky) and the monitor is still blank.  It won't even come up in the BIOS.

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ, 

Thank you for patiently waiting for an update. 

We did an internal checking on this, tried with below monitor combination which did not exhibit this behavior: 

Monitor 1: HDMI - LG 27GL650F (resolution 3840 x 2160) 

Monitor 2: USB C - Samsung S24H85x (resolution 2560 x 1440) 

This behavior can be a compatibility issue with the mini HDMI to USB-C converter used. The conveter cable does also have a signal converter IC. Since you tested another cable, our recommendations are the following: 

1. Update HDMI firmware:  

2. Test with a converter listed in the compatibility list of the Intel® NUC: https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails/ExportPeripheralInfo?moduleName=Intel%C2%AE%20NU... 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

RTZ
Novice

Hello Sebastion,

The instructions seem to indicated that I should update each port.
I did so on the HDMI port, restarted the NUC with just the USB C display port connected.  But the instructions say "Connect an HDMI monitor to the other HDMI", but this NUC has only one HDMI.  I get an error when I click "check firmware".
I have ordered a cable that is on the compatibility list.
Regards,

-Robert

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ,  

Were you able to check the previous post and our recommendations? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ, 

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes, the User Guide says you should update all the ports (if applicable), for this NUC10i7FNH there is only 1 HDMI port. Were you able to make the update for that port only? Remember that to make the update you need to have an HDMI cable connected to the HDMI port.  

Do you get the error if you try making the HDMI firmware update with only the USB-C cable connected? Please share a screenshot of the error message that you get (if possible a screenshot of it). 

As soon as you have the cable from the compatibility list, please let us know about the outcome (if possible share the part number with us) 

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello RTZ,  

Were you able to check the previous post and get the information requested? Were you able to test with the cable from the compatibility list? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Sebastian M  

RTZ
Novice

I purchased two of the recommended cables.
StarTech USB-C to mDP:  save behavior as before, the display blanks every few minutes for about 2 seconds.  This the same behavior as the previous unbranded cable.

J5create USB-C to 4K DP: same behavior as before, the display is blank.  
Note that I have tried two other cables.
I have swapped the monitors, no difference.

RTZ

IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello RTZ,   

Thank you for your response and for your patience in this matter. 

In order to assist you further, we would like to gather contact information and more details about your Intel NUC, hence, we are going to send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. 

Regards,   

Sebastian M  

Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello, 

We would like to update this thread and inform you that we have worked directly with the community post originator to provide a solution. If your system is exhibiting the same behavior please contact Intel Customer Support directly or submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored. 

Check this link to contact us directly:  

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/contact-support.html 

You can reference this post once you reach out to Intel Customer Support. 

@RTZ, we highly recommend you to contact us directly through the internal support ticket we previously created in case you have additional inquiries. It has been a pleasure to assist you. 

Best regards, 

Sebastian M