Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Display blanks out for 2-3 seconds since installing BIOS 0048 - NUC7i5BNH

My NUC7i5BNH has worked perfectly for 3+ months until the last week when the main display blanks out for 2-3 seconds multiple times an hour (depending on what I am doing). I have all the latest drivers All latest drivers as of 6/15/2017 and and believe the issue only started when I upgraded to BIOS 0048 in the last few days.

I run 2 monitors:

Dell U3415W (3440x1440@60p Hz) running on the thunderbolt connector

Dell U2717D (2560x1440@60 Hz) running on the HDMI connector

Only the Dell U3415W monitor blanks out, however the audio playing through the monitor speakers continues working fine even when the screen is blank.

I can't be absolutely certain that it happened as a result of 0048 but I can say that I haven't updated any other drivers on my NUC since mid June when the last Intel HD Graphics Driver (4678) came out.

I've seen other threads with issues that seem similar but those people are using 4K TVs/Monitors.

Intel SSU (System Support Utility) output attached

Please can Intel provide an update on this issue and what the fix is.

EDIT 8/7 - just in case others are reading this post and don't scroll through the thread I am adding the following:

• Having done a clean reinstall of windows and latest drivers I still had the same issue with the DellU3415W blanking out for 2-3 seconds
  • Having done another clean reinstall but using graphics driver GFX_WIN10_64_15.45.18.4664 (i.e. an earlier version) then the issue has not returned
  • The issue may therefore be graphics driver related

thanks

0 Kudos
39 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello TheWombat,

Thank you for contacting the Intel community.

I can see that the refresh rate you have set up is at 60Hz, just for testing purposes, would you please set it up to 30Hz instead?

Also, there is a new driver version that you can try, you can download it here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?pr... Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

Please let me know how it goes.

Best wishes,

Ivan U.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Hello TheWombat

On your Dell U3415W enter the On Screen Menu and select "Display".

Press -> to enable disable DP 1.1. Follow the screen message to confirm selection of DP1.2 .

Hope

This helps

Leon

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

My monitor is already on DP 1.2 setting. Nothing has changed other than the BIOS 0048 update and now my main monitor is blanking out. I would therefore deduce that it is related to BIOS 0048.

thanks

TheWombat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Setting the display rate refresh to 30Hz has still resulted in the display blanking - possibly less frequently but I have not done exhaustive tests.

Regarding https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-%3F... Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46]

this driver does not show under the NUC7i5BNH download section https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/95067/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC7i5BNH Downloads for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH

However others have tried the updated display driver and it has not resolved the issue.

You mention you have recreated the flickering issue in this thread:

Could you therefore provide me and others an update on what Intel is doing in terms of a resolution. Can we expect a new BIOS this week to fix this as it seems to have been introduced in BIOS 0048

thanks

TheWombat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

If this flickering issue is the same as the one on the thread you are pointing here, then we will need to wait for an update related to this issue, this problem is still under investigation and there is no any update yet.

At this point I suggest you to keep checking that thread for a resolution.

Best regards,

Ivan U.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Ivan U

The only other information I can add is that I was previously on BIOS 0046. I never tried/used BIOS 0047. So something changed when moving from BIOS 0046 to 0048 that resulted in the issue. It was not caused by a driver update. I just tried to downgrade back to BIOS 0046 however the BIOS downgrade failed, so it looks like I am stuck on BIOS 0048.

Regarding your comment "If this flickering issue is the same as the one on the thread you are pointing here, then we will need to wait for an update related to this issue, this problem is still under investigation and there is no any update yet." then I am hoping you/Intel would be able to tell me whether it is the same issue or not!!!! I am not running 4K or a TV and my display that is flickering is not connected via HDMI.

Can you provide any guidance on how to downgrade to BIOS 0046 so I can at least keep using my NUC without the display flickering.

thanks

TheWombat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

According to the ME firmware versions in the BIOS release notes you should be able to go back to 047, but you cannot go to 046 due to a ME firmware change.

Once you install a BIOS with a newer ME firmware version there is no reversion back to an older build. 047 has the same version as 048 so you can flash back to that but won't be able to go to ANY earlier bios.

and for what it's worth I believe the flicker is just as bad in 047, but you can give it a shot and report back. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hello again Ivan,

I am anxiously awaiting an update for this problem as it's clearly across the entire platform of 7gen NUCs, this should be escalated and resolved ASAP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for posting this and the extensive description.

I have essentially the same issue with the 7i7bnh (bought early May 2017).

All was well with Bios 46.

I upgraded to 47 and then immediately 48, and the subject problem surfaced.

LMehl

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I have the same 7i7bnh as you and am in the same boat with the flickering on BIOS 047 and 048. Video drivers don't make any difference for me. I'm just posting here since it appears to be a more active thread and we all have the same problem.

Luckily I use it mostly for movies and they are dropped to 30fps or 24fps at which I have zero flicker/dropouts. It's only when I go back to the desktop at full 60p that I have this problem. I've had good luck with the Anker USB C to HDMI 2.0 Adapter with the above conditions, but again 60p is a no-go at 4k.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello TheWombat,

The issue I reproduced is when we run the system 4k resolution at 60Hz we get flickering issue, today I updated the BIOS to version 0048 and I did not see anything weird, the system worked as it should and there was not flickering with this BIOS version at any resolution except 4k at 60Hz. I was on BIOS version 0047 when I updated to 0048.

TheWombat is it possible for you to try with different HDMI cable or try to unplug the monitors and reconnect them again. Also access the bios and press F9 on your keyboard to set the BIOS to default settings and then press F10 to save all changes, the system will restart.

Please let me know how it goes.

Ivan U.

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Just to reconfirm for anyone following this thread. I have 2 monitors:

• Dell U3415W (3440x1440@60p Hz) running on the thunderbolt connector
  • Dell U2717D (2560x1440@60 Hz) running on the HDMI connector

It is the monitor connected via the Thunderbolt->Mini Display Port connector that is going blank and not the monitor connected via HDMI.

Based on when the issue started to occur, I do not believe it is cable related. I have however taken Ivan U's suggestion and reset the BIOS to the default settings via F9. I will report back in the next 24-48 hours once I see whether the Dell U3415W continues to go blank or not.

thanks

TheWombat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I have same issue on 7i5bnk - I have 2 monitors connected 4k at 60Hz - an LG and a Dell - both have the issue - when used together or in isolation, one is connected via HDMI and via DP.

This clearly looks like Intel have broken their own device and made it unusable.

Intel - when can we expect a fix? My business relies on this Nuc!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Just an update to post 12.

resetting NUC BIOS via F9 = no improvement - U3415W monitor continues to blank out

I therefore decided to do a complete clean install of Windows 10 on my NUC, install the latest drivers etc from the Intel website and the various applications I use = no improvement - U3415W monitor continues to blank out. Perhaps I should have done a clean install of Windows without any Intel specific drivers to see what happened, but there is only so much time I can spend trying to troubleshoot this.

I therefore switched cables around so that the U3415W is now connected via HDMI, and the U2717D is now connected via thunderbolt. I will test this configuration for the next 24-48 hours and see if any difference.

TheWombat

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

What version of Win 10 are you running. Version 1703?

If so is everyone that is having problems also running version 1703?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

We have three NUC7I5BNK each connected to a 4K/60p monitor via USB-C to DP in our office, since BIOS 0048 all of them started to black out for a couple seconds 3-7 times a day. More frequently during GPU intensive tasks.

I believe BIOS 0048 changed something in the integrated GPU and caused it to occasionally lose connection with the display.

Intel please investigate. This is not an isolated case and easily reproducible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

The only workaround I have come up with is to downgrade the graphics driver to the one from a month ago - and put both monitors on 30Hz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It's so unbelievably inept that they released such a buggy BIOS - AND made it impossible to go back to the old one.

Who made this decision - and why do they still have a job?

ALWAYS let users downgrade + how about testing your BIOS updates Intel (just a random idea)?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

both driver 4678 4729 flickers. i have to use 4664

0 Kudos