Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Display can't get signal after powermode

Jump to solution

Hi 

Posted here before and got an answer that i can not run 2 displays with different connections. 

I am running:

1. main monitor via mini-displaly to display
  2. second monitor via usb-C

My problem is that i can't start the computer with both displays turned on and if the computer goes into power-mode and signals are turned of, then i have same issue. No signal on both monitors and have to reboot. I have had to reboot so many times now it is rediciuless. Can't be true the monitors have to be connected by same type of port, then the sale-speech with up to six monitors is not true.

Hope some one can help with this, is really annoying. Also if true with the connections i have to but a new cable. But then again if I but a third one, I can't use the nuc for this?

Only way to run with the 2 monitors is to start with main and turn the second on after i am in windows. If I leave the computer, i have to remember to turn-off second display, or I will not be able to get signal without rebooting. Also if i turn second on to early, then samme issue. Really need help with this, because it is not very productive to have to reboot and start working from the beginning every time I forget to turn second display on the "right way".

Best regards

Rasmus Bloksgaard

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Ah, this tells me something. When you connect a monitor via USB-C cable, you are not just connecting video, you are also connecting USB. It may be that this has something to do with the issue; that the NUC is having a problem with the USB Hub (and whatever else) the monitor provides.

A good experiment would be to use a USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DisplayPort (whichever the monitor supports) cable/dongle and see if this alleviates the issue.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Wherever it came from, either you didn't understand what they were saying or they were spouting baloney. I have used all sorts of different combinations of the six outputs on the  HN/HV NUCs. I have never seen a display not connect. No, the problem must be something else.

You say you have one monitor connected to a DP port and the other connected to a USB-C port with USB-C-to-DP dongle? Yep, I have done that very thing configuration.

What are the models of the monitors that you are using?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Scott

Thanks for replay.

-main monitor: LG 38WK95C-W connected with mini-display to display

-second monitor: Lenovo PhinkVision P24h connected with usb-C to usb-C.

I am beginning to be afraid something is totally wrong with the unit. I think my bios is 0063, not sitting by the unit right now.

Rasmus

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again

Just for information, the model of the NUC is NUC8HV. Haydes canyon, 8809G.

Bios: 0063

Motherboard: J68196-504

And I don't use any dongle for connection, only straight cables.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Ah, this tells me something. When you connect a monitor via USB-C cable, you are not just connecting video, you are also connecting USB. It may be that this has something to do with the issue; that the NUC is having a problem with the USB Hub (and whatever else) the monitor provides.

A good experiment would be to use a USB-C-to-HDMI or USB-C-to-DisplayPort (whichever the monitor supports) cable/dongle and see if this alleviates the issue.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi again Scott

Been a little busy the last two days, but tried your suggestion out just now. Changed the usb-C to usb-c cable out, with af HDMI to HDMI cable. Just 10 minutes ago i did it, but I think this solved everything, already seems a lot better and normal

Never thought it was the usb-C cable, cause it is made to connect with usb-C. But it makes sense, that it might make some problems, cause it is more than display signal. Also the monitor can charge through the usb-c cable. I use that for my laptop sometimes.

I appreciate the help and time.

Thanks

Rasmus Bloksgaard

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yea, that's great.

It looks like when I was replying I made a cut & paste error and some content was lost. What I meant to say is that, when USB is active in the cable, it consumes one of the four data lanes present in the cable. When the DisplayPort portion cannot consume all four lanes, it falls back to consuming only two lanes - and this means that the data transfer capability is cut in half (i.e. 4K@60Hz becomes 4K@30Hz).

Happy computing!

...S

0 Kudos