DSanderson
Novice

I have a...

NUC10i7FNH; 
RAM 16.0 GB (15.8 GB usable)
64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Windows 11 Enterprise, build 22581.200  Experience Pack 1000.22581.200.0

All drivers are uptodate.

I am running two monitors... 1st monitor is a LG BK550Y running at 1920x1080, 60Hz, 8-bit, RGB, SDR using Display Port via VGA to Type-C connector; 2nd (set as main display) is a Samsung SA300/SA350 also running at 1920x1080, 60Hz, 8-bit, RGB, SDR using DVI-HDMI.

I am finding that about every 15 mins or so, the Samsung screen will turn off for 3-5 secs, then return with 'using digital display' displayed onscreen (which implies the display restarted) - this happens regardless of what work is being performed on computer - it really is soooo annoying.

I notice one ' fix'  says to read the post referring to using 4k monitors, but this must be a different problem as these monitors are not 4k displays.

Any assistance would be appreciated

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I understand you are having issues with your Intel® NUC 10 Performance kit - NUC10i7FNH.

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. Is this issue recent? Did the Samsung monitor work properly before?

4. Are you able to use straight connections (no adapters)?

5. Is the issue present only with the Samsung monitor?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

DSanderson
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks for your response to my post.

It would appear I have found a work around the problem – but can’t understand why.

As requested please find the reports you asked for:

• SSU
  • Intel Graphics Driver

The issue with the Samsung monitor has only been with this model NUC that I purchased nearly 24 months ago and only since using it as a dual monitor system (i.e. using the Displayport (Type C).

[I had a NUC7i7BNH previously, but did not have a problem, but I was only running it on Samsung monitor (i.e. no second display) on the HDMI port.  This is the second time I have gone to the forum about this problem; I let it go the last time as I was unwell for nearly 12 months, and when I went to use it for the first time back this week the display problem continued.]

The cable I use is a straight connection – i.e. DVI to Displayport Type C – no additional connector

That’s a good question – initially I thought the issue was only with the Samsung monitor – set as the main monitor.  So I did a couple of other configurations, this is what I found.

1. Set Samsung monitor (as display 1) as main monitor, LG monitor (as display 2) as secondary – problem occurred in Samsung only,
  2. Set LG monitor (1) as secondary, Samsung monitor (2) as main monitor – problem occurred in Samsung only,
  3. Set Samsung monitor (1) as secondary monitor, LG monitor (2) as main – problem occurred in Samsung only,
  4. Set LG monitor (1) as main, Samsung monitor (2) as secondary monitor, – problem occurred in Samsung only.

Trust this information can assist fix this annoying problem.

Thanks in advance,

David

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson, 

Thanks for all the information and the reports. In this case, I would like you to try and provide the following:

1. Are you able to try with a straight connection (HDMI to HDMI)?

2. Can you try with a different cable (DVI-HDMI)?

3. Try to update the HDMI firmware.

4. Performa BIOS recovery (BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu).

5. Try to check the Samsung website for firmware updates for your monitor.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson,  

I reviewed your post, please let me know if the issue was resolved, if not, do not hesitate, just reply back.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

DSanderson
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Re:

1. Are you able to try with a straight connection (HDMI to HDMI)?  NO, there's no HDMI on the Samsung Monitor, only VGA and DVI

2. Can you try with a different cable (DVI-HDMI)?  No, I don't have one... this was the one provided by Samsung

3. Try to update the HDMI firmware. - Done - and didn't make any difference

4. Performa BIOS recovery (BIOS Recovery by the Power Button Menu).  Not done - could not get into Power Button Menu mode to perform recovery... after several attempts of entering PBM mode, all I succeeded doing was putting LG monitor (connected to mini DisplayPort) into an energy saving mode and had to be reconnected to the NUC to work

5. Try to check the Samsung website for firmware updates for your monitor.  Checked - Samsung website states I have latest version

So, the issue still remains...  I will add, some days the screen might turn off every 10 minutes, some days it might be every 2 hours - there is no consistency.

But thanks for your help.

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson, 

In this case, as a test, please try the driver version 27.20.100.9466.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DSanderson
Novice

Hi Deivid A.

In this case, as a test, please try the driver version 27.20.100.9466.

Hmmm... Thanks for that!!

I installed the driver as suggested in your last post, and well would you believe...

...now both monitors blink off/on, with the Samsung blinking twice each time they go off, and the longer the system is on, the shorter the interval between blinks and the longer they stay off.

So I have reverted the system back to the previous driver 30.0.101.1191, at least I think this is the latest that I can find.  But that hasn't stopped both monitors from turning off... that seems to be a step backwards.

David

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson, 

I am sorry to know that the issue persists. If you want, you can install the latest graphics driver (30.0.101.1660):

In the meantime, I will check this issue internally and I will let you know about any updates.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

DSanderson
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks for your assistance.

Overnight my NUC has suffered some sort of 'fit'.

All I get is a Windows desktop, blue with some sort of design (different to a BSoD), and the time and date in centre top.

It sits there for 10 mins or so, then tries to restart.

The power button on the NUC just fades in and out and one of the monitors tries to come on, then off, then on, then repeating until I touch the power button, then it goes to the blue screen again.

Fortunately I have a Galaxy Book as backup device.

What do you suggest now.

Thanks,

David

DSanderson
Novice

Hi Deivid.

I now have my system back up and running.

I performed a system reset and that allowed me to roll back to original drivers, which have since been upated to the lastest versions.

I still have the screen blanking problem, and occasionally boths screen will go blank, but the interval has returned to around every 15 mins or so - as originally was the case.

Looking closer at the problem, I notice that the monitors blink as if they are losing signal from the video ports, for when the screens are back on, there's a brief monitor notification that it is now received video signal (i.e. digital).  Don't know if that helps with anything.

Cheers,

David

DSanderson
Novice

The blinking has once increased in frequency.

I have taken a 51/2 minute video to show what is happening, it might give you more of an idea.  I lost count of the number of times the blinking occured.  Link here

But it is getting from bad to worse.

Although I have found one thing that helps a little - not having the screen 'stretched' across both monitors seems to slow the incidence of blinking quite a lot... but I shouldn't need to, I should be able to have the one desktop across two monitors.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Otherwise it is back to the supplier with the NUC, at least it still has about 12 months warranty remaining.

Thanks for all your help.

David

DeividA_Intel

Hello DSanderson, 

In this case, based on the investigation, I can just recommend you to try with an HDMI monitor so you can test a straight connection (HDMI to HDMI). However, if this does not work and as you mentioned, the next step would be to replace the unit.

You can replace it with your place of purchase or vendor or you can check with us directly and use this thread as a reference and check the RMA options we have for you.

Please use the link based on your country:

US, Canada:

Europe, Middle East, and Africa: 

Asia-Pacific:

Latin America: 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.