Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RTOTH
Beginner

Display screen goes black with HDR logo in top right corner intermittently

Hi,,I am at a loss as to why this is happening. I have just set up an Intel NUC 8i3BEH with 8Gb RAM, 2TB hard disk, new install of Win 10-1903 as the OS with the aim of using it for my HTPC.

It is hooked into a DENON AVR-X4500H via HDMI and this is hooked into an LG OLED E8 series TV with HDMI arc.

The tv/display intermittently blacks out with the HDR logo in the top right corner and then goes back to the normal screen with whatever I am doing atm, eg...typing this. All latest and greatest updates were made to my NUC downloaded from the Intel site. I even uninstalled the graphic driver and reinstalled igfx_win10_100.692 to no avail.

Also I cannot find where I am able to scale my screen size to fit, the desktop is slightly larger than my tv screen and crops the taskbar at the bottom and some shortcut icons I have on the left side. Have looked and googled but still at a loss.

Is anyone able to help me please. Much appreciated in advance.

0 Kudos
23 Replies
DPers1
New Contributor III

You get that screen and message if the TV is connecting/Re-connecting to the computer.

You probably have a marginal HDMI cable, try a different one.

RTOTH
Beginner

Thanks for replying.......Yes thought of that but all my cables are marked HI SPEED with ethernet and I did swap some over. Will try again though. One thing however is that my Intel NUC is hooked to the av receiver via HDMI and then from there the av receiver is hooked via HDMI ARC to TV. Tried to play movies and music with PLEX from attached via USB 3.o hard drives to the NUC but no go...stilted images and music as well.

Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check, as you mentioned previously, if you were able to test the Intel® NUC NUC8i3BEH with different HDMI cables and if the problem persists after that? So we can further assist you.

Regards,

Alberto R.

Intel Customer Support Technician   

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

RTOTH
Beginner

Hi Alberto,

Yes just purchased some newer HDMI cables and that seems to have done the trick with the handshake issue...however Win 10 says I get 8bit with dithering and not the 10bit I was expecting....can you explain this by any chance?

Thanks again,

Richard

Alberto_R_Intel

Hi RTOTH, Thank you very much for providing those results.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that the problem with the handshake got fixed and now the Intel® NUC is working properly.

In reference to your question, it will depend on the type of monitor that you are using, some monitors have the option to offer 8-bit plus dithering and some other monitors offer the 10-bit option without dithering. If by any chance you have the option to use a known 10-bit monitor you should see the difference in Windows*.

We can always look for those details, for us to be able to do that, please provide the model of your monitor.

Regards,

Alberto R.

RTOTH
Beginner

Hey Alberto,

It is so great to have you responding to my queries....my Intel NUC 8i3BEH is hooked into an audio/video receiver DENON AVR-X4500X which is then hooked via HDMI ARC into an LG OLED65E8PTA, which is then the monitor. This model TV is supposed to do 10-bit HDR looking at the specs, perhaps the handshake from the a/v receiver is not correctly picking up the full specs of the TV I wonder? Looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions on this matter.

Kind regards, Richard

Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, thank you very much for sharing those details.

Yes, in this case, as you mentioned, one of the reasons why the monitor does not get recognized as a 10-bit display could be because the audio/video receiver is not correctly picking up the full specifications of the TV/monitor. To rule out that possibility, do you have the option to test the Intel® NUC directly connected to the TV/monitor without using the a/v receiver?

Regards,

Alberto R.

Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Alberto R.

RTOTH
Beginner

• Hi....sorry for late reply. I did directly connect HDMI from NUC to LG OLED TV and in the settings it showed 8-bit HDR, which when connected via the DENON AVR it showed 8-bit with dithering. I just purchased new YELLOW-PRICE 8K @ 120Hz, 48 Gbps, 28 AWG, HDMI V2.1 cords and connected everything as before with these and it has made no difference. Playing back 4K demos from LG through my PLEX server and player on the NUC results in jilted playback, but when I play the same demo with MPC-HC it plays fine. I am so confused and frustrated and already bald, so cannot tear any more hair out, haha!

Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, thank you very much for letting us know those results.

In order for us to be able to confirm the complete details about the monitor and to check how the Intel® Graphics controller is recognizing it, please provide the graphics report:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

To attach the report, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower-left corner.

Also, in the following link you will find some 10-bit video samples, please try to play some of them a let us know if they work properly, select the option "Show Only 10-bit" and if it possible try to play the latest one in the list, that is the video with the highest bit-rate and resolution in there:

http://jell.yfish.us/

The content on the above site is not controlled by Intel®. This information is offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel for the merchants or services offered there

Regards,

Alberto R.

RTOTH
Beginner

Hello Alberto,

Please find attached the report as requested.😀 I have some screenshots that I will forward on also in other replies to you as it appears only one attachment/clip is possible.

RTOTH
Beginner

posted a file.
RTOTH
Beginner

posted a file.
RTOTH
Beginner

posted a file.
Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, Thank you very much for providing the Intel® Graphics report and the pictures.

Just to confirm, were you able to test any of the videos from the link we provided previously?

According to the Intel® Graphics report, the resolutions supported by the monitor are the following:

Supported Modes:

• 800 x 600 (60 Hz)
  • 640 x 480 (60 Hz)
  • 720 x 400 (70 Hz)
  • 1024 x 768 (60 Hz)
  • 640 x 480 (60 Hz)
  • 800 x 600 (60 Hz)
  • 1024 x 768 (60 Hz)
  • 1152 x 864 (60 Hz)
  • 1280 x 1024 (60 Hz)

Based on that information, as you can see the 4K resolution is not showing as supported, which is 3840 x 2160 or 4096 x 2160, most of the times a firmware update of the monitor is required to show the proper resolutions and for the handshake between the monitor and the Intel® NUC to be properly recognized with all of its features, included the 10-bit option, especially in this case that you are using a smart TV.

Did you check with LG directly if there is a firmware update available for the monitor?

https://www.lg.com/us/support

Do you see any other resolutions available in Windows* besides the ones showing in the Intel® Graphics report?

Regards,

Alberto R.

RTOTH
Beginner

I was able to play the Jellyfish file (jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit.mkv) downloaded onto an attached USB 3.0 external drive with no problem on the NUC using the MPC-HC player .....however when playing the file over CAT 5e wired ethernet within the PLEX app, the playback was stuttering and jilted. Both the DENON AVR-X4500H and LG OLED65E8PTA TV have the latest firmware updates. Both are more than capable of 4K if you look at the specs of each item. The NUC is stating that the connection is DISPLAYPORT but I have it hooked up via HDMI. Is that an issue??? My PS4 PRO plays in HDR when I game no problems. To answer your last question, the second attachment of a screenshot from Windows display settings, clearly shows another resolution or am I reading it wrong??

Thanks again for your valuable assistance in trying to get through this issue.

Regards, Richard

RTOTH
Beginner

Alberto please look at this attachment also......thanks

RTOTH
Beginner

posted a file.
RTOTH
Beginner

Hi Alberto.....can you make sense of the two reports I have sent here?

Alberto_R_Intel

RTOTH, thank you very much for providing those results, the pictures and the report.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details in this thread.

Regards,

Alberto R.