Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

DisplayPort Audio Issue on NUC7i5BNH

I've got a Dell P2415Q connected to an NUC7i5BNH via DisplayPort.

The speakers is then connected to the 3.5mm jack on the back of the monitor.

Everything is fine if I set the resolution to 4k@30hz or anything lower than this.

But the first bits of any audio is almost always dropped when the display resolution is set to the maximum 4k@60hz.

This is not much a problem if I'm watching a film or something but it's really irritating when half of a notification sound is chopped off.

If I connect the 3.5mm jack to the Realtek sound card on the front of the NUC there is no audio drop instead I get the electrical noise problem described by other people.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mayonnaise,

Thank you for contacting Intel Communities.

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with your Intel® NUC. Can you please provide the following information to better assist you?I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Juan,

Thanks for looking into the issue.

Here's the info you want.

BIOS version installed:

BNKBL357.86A.0047.2017.0518.1824

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005589.html Graphics driver version:

Does the same happen when using the HDMI output?

I can't test it on HDMI because the sound drop only happens on 4k@60hz while P2415Q only supports HDMI 1.4. I do have a Sharp TV that's claim to be HDMI 2.0 compliant but I can't get it to work at 60hz (so that's a separate HDMI problem but I'm not too bothered...).

Does the plug from the speakers connected to the 3.5mm jack have 2 or 3 rings?

It has only got 2 rings so no microphone nope.

Does the electrical noise disappears or is continuous?

The electrical noise from the Realtek front jack is not continuous. In fact you only hear it every once in a while. It looks like the electrical noise happens when some audio is played on the Realtek interface after it had been idle for sometime.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mayonnaise,

Thank you for the information.

Can you please try the following graphics driver and let me know how it goes?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26836/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-?pr... Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45] Version: 15.45.19.4678 (Latest) Date: 5/30/2017

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Juan,

The 4678 driver flickers so badly it's virtually impossible to do anything. When the screen blacks out the sound is gone as well so you can't really tell if the sound's working or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello mayonnaise,

Let me set up a lab to test this, and I will update the thread once I have the results.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Juan,

A note on replicating the problem.

So far I found the most obvious is when you open Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Sound

Then select the Display Audio device and click Configure

If I repeatedly play the test sound sometimes the sound is completely dropped on one of the channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mayonnaise,

I tested the following:
  • Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i5BNH
  • HP Z27s Monitor, using an adapter from USB-C to DP.
  • Resolution: 3820x2160 @60Hz
  • 4GB RAM
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
  • Graphics driver version 4664 & 4678
  • Latest Realtek audio driver
I was unable to replicate the audio issues, audio started without any problem and didn't cut off, no flickering issues.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Juan,

First of all just to make sure that you were connecting the speakers to the back of the monitor (not the Realtek jack on the front of the NUC) yeah? The sound drop is small but noticeable you have to listen carefully.

Secondly, there's a large swathe of complains on graphics driver version 4678 causing screen flickering. If you weren't experiencing any flickering while on 4678 then you are not on the same boat with most of us anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mayonnaise,

I connected the speakers to the audio output (3.5 mm jack) on the back of the monitor because it doesn't have built-in speakers, essentially, using this connection, you are getting the audio through the DP interface (Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640). Then, I tried connecting the speakers to the analog audio output on the Intel® NUC (Realtek) to test the electrical noise that you reported when you opened the thread, no audio issues were found in neither case.

Best Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mayonnaise,

A new graphics driver was released:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26941/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-46-?pr... Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.46] Version: 15.46.02.64.4729 (Latest) Date: 7/11/2017

I have tested it and the issues you described are not present on the Intel® NUC when using this graphics driver version.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Juan,

I've installed the new 4729 version graphic driver before getting rid of it within 15 minutes.

The audio drop is much worse with this new version: when I was on 4664 if I repeatedly click the sound test in control panel it's like 5%~10% probability that one of the channels is completely muted now it's over 50% chance I don't hear anything.

Then it's the show stopper it flickering problem is back: if I stay with 4664 as long as I don't touch certain apps and don't play games I'm good but with this one even MPC-HC is flickering.

Additionally, I wonder when other people say the sound is still there when the screen flickers were they connecting the speakers to the Realtek jacks (or anything that's not going through the DisplayPort or HDMI that's causing the driver reset)?

Finally, I can't find any definite information on this but I suspect there's an incredible likelihood that the HP Z27s is one of those earlier models that's operating in MST mode? Otherwise it's difficult to explain why you weren't able to replicate this massive flickering issues everyone else's moaning about?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi mayonnaise,

The HP Z27s monitor was set up to DP 1.2, so yes, it was operating in MST mode.

Regards,

Juan V.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi mayonnaise,

I work for Intel Customer Support and I want to let you know that we are aware of screen flashing and/or flickering issue when using 4K resolutions on NUC7ixBN systems.

This issue has been reported and engineering is working on finding a solution for it.

I am trying to locate all community threads related to this issue to refer them back to the following one and consolidate: /message/490689# 490689 NUC7ixBN Screen Flashing/Flickering when using 4K resolutions <</span>/thread/116824 https://communities.intel.com/thread/116824> We will keep this community thread updated with any progress we make.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused or is still causing and I appreciate your help and patience.

I will be locking up this thread to make sure all comments are properly tracked and followed on /message/490689# 490689 NUC7ixBN Screen Flashing/Flickering when using 4K resolutions

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

mayonnaise

rguevara

This isn't just a displayport problem. It's likely an Intel HDMI audio driver problem. Because...

I'm using the same NUC7i5bnh HDMI port plugged directly into an HDMI 2.0a HDCP 2.2 receiver and I get the same clipping of any sounds from the PC for the first second or so as you've described (i.e. tapping the volume icon makes a partial noise... doing the windows speaker test is almost useless because the sounds are mostly cut off); issue isn't a problem for long audio files or once the sound is streaming -- it's a data loss upon initial data transfer (and I believe it's only PCM audio, such as those that originate from the OS, as it seems not to happen with bitstream). This is using 4664 (because as you mentioned, all drivers after 4664 are useless because of the flickering issue).

Just one more HDMI / graphics / audio issue to pile onto the others.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Please keep an eye on <</span>https://communities.intel.com/thread/116824 https://communities.intel.com/thread/116824> I beleive this is all part of the same issue.

I am locking up this thread to make sure any thing related is consolidated on community thread 116824.

Thanks,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi,

I just unlocked this community and I wonder if you have tested latest graphics driver: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26947/NUCs-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Int... Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 for Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i3BN, NUC7i5BN, and NUC7i7BN

Please report back if you have a chance.

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

rguevara Same behavior with clipping is observed on the latest drivers (4771 BN)

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Rogelio,

Are you still having exactly the same behavior as described on the original post: "the first bits of any audio is almost always dropped when the display resolution is set to the maximum 4k@60hz"?

Have you tried driver 15.47: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27199/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-47-?pr... Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.47] ?

Regards,

Ronny G

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

rguevara

Yes, same problem on those latest drivers. Problem is most evident when you do multi-channel speaker test and 50% of the sound first coming out of each channel is clipped with each successive speaker that plays sound.

0 Kudos