Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

Do my Crucial DDR4 modules run at full available speed for my NUC8i3BEH?

Hi NUCkers!

I've been researching for a while but I coudnt find that much in this forum about the RAM memory speed. I own a NUC8i3BEH and have 2 modules 8GBytes DDR4-2400 SODIMM (CT8G4SFS824A) from CRUCIAL installed in Dual-Mode and I was wondering if they run at the advertised speed.

On both HWinfo64 and CPU-Z its shown a clock speed around 665MHz but as far as I know they could reach 1200 Mhz. I've found at https://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?EPMID=126150 that this RAM is validated for the 4GB module but nothing appears regarding the 8GB one. Could this be an issue?

I also found this at the Crucial website: https://www.crucial.com/support/articles-faq-memory/memory-slower-than-expected

Can someone confirm me this? Does my RAM run at full speed for this motherboard but its only shown the half of it cause they are DDR modules? I have close to no previous computer science knowledge but I am learning non-stop, mostly thanks to the purchase of the NUC and this forum.

Btw I saw modules from other brands with 16GB capacity which are validated but the Technical Product Specification for my NUC says on page 21: "Intel NUC Boards NUC8i3BEB, NUC8i5BEB and NUC8i7BEB support only 4Gb and 8Gb memory technologies (also referred to as "SDRAM density")". https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/nuc-kits/NUC8i3BE_NUC8i5BE_NUC8i7...

How am I supossed to reach this way the possible 32GB referred also in this document with 2 slots?

Here you can see the pictures from CPU-Z and HWinfo64. Thanks in advance for any help to my questions. My computer runs really fast and coming from a DDR2-based one it just flies in my perception.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Everything looks fine. If you want to go further, monitor while running a benchmark that works the processor hard. This could be something as simple as the intel Processor Diagnostic Test tool (downloadable from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool).

In the spec, they are talking about the technology used in the DRAM chips and whether this is 4Gb or 8Gb (note that gigabit, not gigabyte). This has nothing to do with the amount of DRAM offered by the SODIMM, which is technology used in the part multiplied by the number of chips on the SODIMM (i.e. 8Gb X 8 chips = 8GB). Oh, and BTW, there are 32GB SODIMMs out there and they allow you to get to 64GB total!

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I was now at night, thinking about it and I saw that someone had posted.

NUC Nuc8i7bek is compatible 2 x Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM CT8G4SFS824A ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That memory is just fine. What is your concern?

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Currently I have a NUC7i7BNH with this memory and SSD Intel® 540s, if I need to upgrade I will not need to buy memory and SSD for the new NUC Nuc8i7bek, however on the intel website I don't see this memory being compatible with the NUC Nuc8i7bek

Thanks

Maison

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Scott, thanks a lot once again for your helpful reply!!

I should have noticed the difference between Gb and GB 😅 .

Does this benchmark say anything about the RAM clocks? Because I´d say the processor works fine. I play sometimes the last Grand Theft Auto and I guess this could be also considered as a small stress for such a modest CPU. During the game the clock speed of the processor goes down to around 3000 Mhz and the memory clock stays at 650 Mhz while playing. However if necessary I will install the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool and give it a try.

Btw I am still wondering following: these DDR4-2400 modules are supossed to run at 2400 MHz and since they allow Double Data Rate (DDR) transfer technology then the monitoring programs should show a memory clock speed of 1200 MHz, shouldn´t they? That would be the half of 2400 MHz. Does the motherboard not support such high frequencies for these Crucial modules and limits them to 650 MHz? Or am I missing something and reading the values in a wrong way?

PS: I´d like to know more about the possible 64GB memory for my NUC. I read everwhere that the limit is 32GB. Would the motherboard recognize both 32GB modules or just one? Has anyone tried this?

Sorry for my long writting!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Thank you @MSilv22 for your reply.

I googled and looked for it in this forum but I could not find though the post you meant. Can you maybe post the link of that topic?

EDIT: Im so dumb I didnt see the interrogation mark in your question and thought you meant a different post and not mine, my mistake. About your question you can look at the validated modules in this site for your NUC. There are also general requirements for every memory: https://www.intel.es/content/www/es/es/support/articles/000027798/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted

That memory will work just fine. The compatibility charts for the various NUC models leave a lot to be desired. Since Intel is not going to have samples of all available memory (or the time to run all of the tests this would entail!), the compatibility list is never going to be complete. Intel's Compatibility Labs will test with what memory they have on hand. Memory that passes ends up in the chart. If other memory falls into their hands sometime later, there is no guarantee that they will go back, run the tests and update the charts. Further, intel does not go out and purchase memory (think about how much that would raise the validation and eventual selling costs for these NUCs). If the vendors are not providing sufficient samples to intel, then their memory may not be included in the tests.

Sorry, pet peeve. I wish that Intel Customer Support would track all memory that customers report as working - and perhaps that not working. Obviously, this list has to be kept separate from that generated during formal validation, but at least it would be there and users could use it in purchase decision-making, issue debug, etc. The problem, of course, is liability. Intel doesn't want to get sued because a company is upset that the list says their memory doesn't work (regardless of whether it does or not). Intel, as a "deep pockets" company, is regularly (and 99.999999% of the time frivolously) being sued.

Ok, memory is fine, but let's talk about that SSD. The 540s is a SATA III SSD. Yea, it's going to work, but its maximum transfer rate is 6Gb/s. Even the slowest M.2 NVMe SSD has 3x that rate for reading and 2x that for writing. There are *many* ~250GB units for under US$50. There are *many* ~500GB units for under US$80. Remember too that performance goes up as drives get larger. Here's my example of kick-a$$ performance for the budget conscious: https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Power-512GB-Gen3x4-SU512GBP34A80M28AB/dp/B07L6DKM8V. It is a 512GB drive with Read/Write speed of 3400/2300 (almost 6x/4x SATA) and it only costs US$69. Again, 512GB, 3400/2300, US$69.

Finally, NUC Selection. The barebones NUC8i7BEK costs ~US$650. The barebones NUC10i7FNK costs ~US$600. In benchmark comparisons that I have seen, the FN (6 Cores vs 4) wins the CPU benchmarks by a small margin while the BE (Iris Plus 655 vs UHD 620) easily wins the GPU benchmarks. If you want the best performance for games, you want the BE. If you want the best performance for computing, you want the FN. I am not a gamer (a game of cards is about as sophisticated as I get), so like the FN better.

That's my 2 cents,

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I would think that, if you locked the unit in High Performance Mode in BIOS and High Performance Plan in Windows, you *should* see the clock sitting at 1200.

The NUC8i3BEH and its Core i3-8109U supports a maximum of 32GB. Since this NUC was released, however, 32GB DIMMs/SODIMMs have appeared on the scene. They've been tested in the NUC8i7HVK and other NUC models and found to work just fine (see: https://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2019/03/64gb-memory-on-the-intel-nucs.html). I don't have any to personally test this out myself, but it makes sense that they should work in BE -- and apparently do (see this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/intelnuc/comments/bemu0o/samsung_64_gib_ddr4_2666mhz_kit_installed_to_bean/).

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

It is really interesting to have the possibility to expand the memory up to 64GB, especially after many years when these PCs might not be that fast to run future applications and operative systems. Thanks for the Info :)

Regarding the memory speed could you please take a look in the pictures I uploaded and tell me which value I am supossed to read to see the actual clock? Both Memory Clock (in HWInfo64) and DRAM frequency (in CPU-Z) parameters show 665 MHz. I can nevertheless see in both Visual BIOS and Windows task manager the 2400 MHz in the memory tab.

Anyone else is also welcome to bring some light about this, I would appreciate that too. I still have the possibility to speak to the vendor and try to replace them if they are actually malfunctioning.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Thanks for the info, does this high transfer make any difference in windows startup compared to my current m2 SSD? Is the ssd of the link you sent me compatible my atual nuc NUC7i7BNH and news nuc NUC10i7FNB or Nuc8i7bek? 

On NUC10i7FNB it has two type c usb output that I can use as video? I didn't see anything related to the thunderbolt.

I use it for navigation and several open browsers, I don't use it for games anyway it is better than BEK even though clocked at 1.10GHZ?

And NUC NUC10i7FNK is compatible 2 x Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM CT8G4SFS824A ?

Version portuguese.

Obrigado pela informação, essa elevada transferência faz alguma diferença na inicialização do windows comparado ao meu SSD m2 atual? O SSD do link que você me mandou é compatível?

No NUC10i7FNB ele tem duas saída USB tipo c que posso usar como video? Pois não vi nada relacionada ao thunderbolt.

Eu uso para navegação e vários navegadores aberto, não uso para jogos mesmo assim ele é melhor que o BEK mesmo tendo clock 1.10GHZ?

E NUC NUC10i7FNK é compatível 2 x Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM CT8G4SFS824A ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, this NVMe SSD should improve boot times and yes, it is compatible with all of the 6th-10th gen Core i3/i5/i7 NUCs -- and so are your SODIMMs, as I have indicated to you a couple of times now.

The front USB-C connector on the FN NUCs is just a USB 3.1 port. The rear USB-C connector, on the other hand, supports both USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3. It can support both Thunderbolt and DisplayPort monitors directly and HDMI monitors with a USB-C-to-HDMI adapter.

If you are not into gaming and not into heavy-duty video editing, then you probably don't need the graphics performance of the BE NUC.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I got it!

I noticed in CPU-Z that from time to time the value of DRAM frequency changes to 1200 MHz for a second coming back quickly to 655 MHz, i.e. when I change to another tab in Chrome and change fast to see the value in CPU-Z. Why the same change doesnt appear in HWInfo64 was because I simply wasnt using the last version. I downloaded the last portable one and I can see now that the memory clock is also changing to around 1200 MHz.

I deeply thank you Scott for your interest. The advice was right, the fault was mine for not paying enought atention. Btw if had looked better in the internet I could have started reading this forum before my purchase of the NUC and its components because I read the wrong information about the existence of these NVMe SSDs and its use thinking that they were only supossed for gamers and not necessary for the regular user. Now I regret having bought a regular Samsung EVO M.2 and not a NVMe from a cheaper brand. Novice mistake...

So Maison my advice to you is to listen to these guys, they know what they are talking about. Get a 256/512GB NVMe and you could still use the other one as an external SSD or maybe you could go for the NUC8i7BEH or the NUC10i7FNH and installing both M.2 NVMe and Sata SSDs. I will definitely buy one NVMe in a couple of years instead of formatting my regular M.2 SSD.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

No hijacking of conversations please. Open a new conversation for your issue(s) using the Ask a Question button. Every user's situation is different, so document your situation and issue(s) fully. If you want to do it right up front, please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the paperclip icon below the edit window, upload and attach this file to your question.

...S

0 Kudos