Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Does anyone have a NUC 6 (Skylake) which is working 100%?

I'm getting a bit worried after having such severe errors myself, and reading about others here, so I'm wondering if anyone has a NUC 6 that is fully working as intended. If you have a system running without crashes, freezes or non-working components, please share the following information:

• Your NUC model and for how long you've had it.
  • BIOS version, and if you have any settings different from the default.
  • Memory configuration: 1 or 2 sticks, size(s), manufacturer and model number.
  • Persistent storage (hard drive, SD card etc. you're running your OS from). Manufacturer, SSD/mechanical, size and model number.
  • Attached USB devices: Which ports are you using and any relevant information about the device(s).
  • Network connection: Ethernet or Wifi.
  • Operating system: Version, method of installation (from USB stick or other?), any drivers you had to install to fix previous errors.

Thanks in advance.

323 Replies
Highlighted
Novice

Finally jumping in after my NUC6i5SYH has been running for just shy of a month. Windows 10 Pro, 32GB g.skill DDR4 RAM, Samsung 850, 500GB and 2TB HDD. Sticking with BIOS 0028 until I have less critical work to do, then will jump to 0036, or whatever else Intel has to offer then. Running: MS Word, Corel WP, Thunderbird, Adobe PS, LR, Acrobat Standard, and Firefox.

Experienced Bluetooth simultaneous disconnects from my MS mouse and Filco keyboard in the first week, but that seems to have settled down now. Also during the first week found the unit overheating after a Windows update (an update which might have been what cleared up the Bluetooth issue). Discovered the overheating purely by chance, as I was rearranging my desk and noticed how hot the box was when I moved it. Fan not running. Rebooted and the fan started and the problem went away and has stayed away since, although I find myself touching the box every half hour or so just in case (just did so now).

My previous machine was a Dell XPS 400 tower, which ran flawlessly from day one and for the next 11 years.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

My (2nd) NUC6i5SYH has been running just fine for about 3-4 weeks now. Once in a while when it awakes, I don't get a video signal, but it's been fairly infrequent. However, tonight, just as atget reported, I just happened to reach up and put my hand on it and it was extremely hot! I restarted it and entered BIOS and the fan was not running. I restarted it again, entered into BIOS, and the fan began running at high speed. Temps came down to normal. I'll be watching it very closely from now on. Too bad, I was just getting comfortable that it was stable...

Highlighted
New Contributor I

I'm praying everyday when I turn-on NUC :-)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi,

I bought an Intel NUC6I5SYH just a week ago.

It's still working without any issues but so far I used it only for a couple of days.

This is my configuration:

• model: NUC6I5SYH
  • bios: version 036 (it cames with the 028 and I updated it after one day)
  • memory: 1 module, 8GB, Kingston HyperX Impact HX424S14IB/8
  • storage: HDD WD Blue WD10JPVX 1TB SATAIII 5400 (no SSD)
  • USB dev: Logitech wireless keyboard K400, Logitech wireless mouse M235, they use the same USB dongle
  • Network: wifi
  • OS 1: Linux Ubuntu 15.10 (installed with USB installer, worked out of the box)
  • OS 2: Windows 10 (installed with USB installer, I had to install the latest Intel drivers for sound, WIFI and LAN)

Then my question: I'm planning on installing an m.2 SSD but I noticed that the 80mm length card would lie on top of the the integrated WIFI module.

Since I don't need a lot of space (120GB or even 60GB will be enough) would it make sense to buy a 40mm length m.2 card?

This should prevent the WIFI module from being overheated by the SSD.

Does a smaller capacity SSD produce less heat?

Thanks in advance

Michele

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

• NUC6i5SYH, have it since Feb 10th 2016 (NUC manufactured Jan 7th 2016)
  • BIOS came with 028, updated to 033, days later WHEA error happened, updated to 036 didn't fix the issue.
  • 2 x 8GB sticks DDR4 HyperX Impact 2133 CL13 (16GB total) HX421S13IBK2/16
  • SSD Crucial MX200 500GB M.2 Type 2280 (for OS) and HDD WD NAS Red 2.5" 1TB SATA3 (for DATA)
  • USB: Back: 1 USB for logitech keybord+mouse; 1 USB for logitech orb cam - Front: 1 USB for casual smartphone data transfer.
  • Network: Ethernet connection
  • OS: WIN 10 PRO x64, USB stick installation, updated all available drivers once the OS was installed. Everything worked perfectly (I left it on 24/7 since day 1) until last week when the WHEA error occurred. Since then I can't use my NUC because it is in a constant WHEA error restart loop when it reaches win 10 home screen, sometimes it happens as soon as the NUC finishes the BIOS posting. I need to know if I have to RMA the NUC because the hardware is fried or if it is possible to fix it with an updated new BIOS.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

@Intel guys - is some difference between 4GB or 8GB modules? Maybe when more RAM is available for OS, OS allocate more RAM for itself...maybe there is some timeout in this process...or something like that...But that's question for Microsoft probably, they should determine, what everything OS do after showing logon screen... Or maybe is really some problem with M.2 disks.,...80% of guys here are using M.2 disks..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Try turning it off. With 8GB+, who really needs a swap file?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

There is always that chance, but as the table you created showed, people have had issues with both 4GB and 8GB modules. Be assured we are investigating all scenarios. Thanks for the ideas though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

When using virtual machines in example. Or big Excel Sheets or Power Points. Or whatever. For some reason, rado77 bought 16 GB and is using a 64bit OS ....

Actually, there is no benefit turning off the Page file, you do not gain any performance increase. But you limit the way, Windows handles its memory.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

No no, I have 2 x 4GB modules. But it was only suggestion regarding RAM sizes...I asked that if someone tried to turn off page file and tested...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I advise you to RMA it. Get another one.

Why?

YOU have a non functioning unit, YOU paid a lot of money for a little high-end machine that not only didn't meet your expectations (one can expect a PC to last longer than 1 month), and turned itself into a brick. YOU are not the only one with this, so are many others on this site alone.

Don't let it be your problem, make it Intel's problem.

I did, I am on my 3rd now.

Though I wish I had read this site before I purchased it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
New Contributor I

Apologize, I had the 16GB of SebasF1 in mind....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I will give Intel this week, and then I will RMA it. It is the first time in 25 years that I have to RMA computer hardware. I never buy the latest unproven hardware, I usually wait 6 months before buying and read reviews and visit forums like this one just to be sure this things don't happen to the HW I am interested in buying. I never expected Intel to have this kind of issues. It seems that this is a clear case of rushed hardware. The perception I have from the brand took a massive hit, and the problema is that nothing assures me that it won't happen with the replacement/s.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Well this is a little worrying. I got my 6th gen NUC today. It bench marked fine on the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility (it actually murdered my 4th Gen i7 laptop by way of comparison). Never got above 69 degrees, fan didn't need to whir up and unlike the i7 which had 20% throttling it didn't throttle once for even a second. I've restarted a dozen times (thanks windows update), turned it off completely, moved its location and am typing on it. Its really fast, no issues at all.

I stuck Windows 10 Pro on it using an ISO on an external USB SSD. I downloaded the wifi drivers from Intel and manually added those using the same SSD external drive. I am using Crucial Memory, seems a niche choice looking at all the hyperX people in this thread, but then touch wood, so far so good.

- 6th Gen NUC Core i5-6260U, NUC6i5SYK (M.2 drive only)- Crucial DDR4 SODIMM 8GB (2x4GB) 1.2V 2133MHz Memory

- Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

-Windows 10 Pro

Good luck guys. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed I don't have the luck of some people in this thread. And I hope you all sort your issues. :-(

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

My ASUS vivobook, 4th gen i7 (4500U) is running circles around this NUC, in regard to heat production, noise and performance.

Yet another disappointment, I had expected things to be the other way around. I thought I'd gain 20% performance compared to the Haswell, man was I wrong.

Today I tried playing the 2 year old Wolfenstein New Order, I must say the graphics were amazing. But 3 minutes into the first level the game stopped responding. Tried again 2 times, the game froze again. Conclusion: the 6th GEN Skylake cannot play Wolfenstein, where the vivobook runs lamost anything I throw at it.

Today, I played in windowed mode, so I could ALT-TAB and peak from time to time at my CPU temperatures. Temperatures being around 80 degrees after a few minutes of game-play; I quit immediately, IMO sustained high temperatures are disastrous for the NUC's skylake.

Hell yeah, you may be able to write a Word document or edit a simple spreadsheet with your state of the art NUC, but don't ask too much of it.

Even my 12 year old Dell XPS Core 2 does a better job.

Yes my disappointment in the skylake grows by the day, I now seem to have a working unit, but I can't put it to work. Heck, my second NUC turned to toast after I left it idle for a few hours. Go figure.

Highlighted
New Contributor I

It will be interesting to see what the Intel engineers find out. I use my NUC as a HTPC and was watching streaming video the first time I saw a WHEA error. Although I leave it on 24/7, it took about 6 weeks before there was a problem, and somewhere around the 4 or 5 week mark I updated from 0028 to 0036.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

So the WHEA appeared to you running with 028 BIOS? I thought it was a 033 BIOS issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I'm wondering the same.

But I doubt the WHEA errors can be fixed by a software solution, I think it is flawed hardware causing this.

But still I wonder what Intel will come up with, I have no idea what percentage of faulty units it takes before they organize a recall.

1st, 2nd on 0028. After the WHEA loop started in the first unit, I updated BIOS to 0033 (current at that time, now pulled).

Nope it didn't fix the issue, had to RMA it.

The 3rd NUC is also on 0028 which it came with and I have no intention of updating r changing settings.

IMO this Visual Bios has too many settings that if the user makes a mistake, it might break your precious little box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Are you dustint over there? I only ask as that user said something about his Surface Book and Skylake, but didn't exactly say if they were having issues with the Surface Book or not. It could be useful to see if they are.

Thanks.

0 Kudos