Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OGefe
Beginner

Does my NUC5i7RYH Supports 4k @ 60 Hz ? NUC7i7BNH

Hello, i've just got myself a new 4k monitor, sweet, I've connected it to my new NUC7i7BNH with an HDMI - HDMI Cable, and it ran 4K at @ Hz with no problem.

So i know for sure both the cable and the screen supports it.

Now going back to the older NUC5i7RYH, it only lets me run 4k @ 30 Hz through a mDP - DP cable.

also with the mHDMI - HDMI switch - HDMI CABLE, no success.

So i was wondering what could be the problem, does it lack the support to run at 60 Hz at all ? or am i missing something here ?

Latest drivers were installed.

thanks for the help guys!

Ohad.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

According to the Multiple Display Setup documentation (here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005571/mini-pcs.html Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC), in the section specific to the RY NUCs,

This tells me that the DP output is capable of outputting 4K@60Hz, but only if there is not a 4K monitor connected to the HDMI output.

I am willing to bet that the problem is the mDP-to-DP cable that you are using. I have a mDP-to-HDMI adapter that I know can support this output: https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt-Adapter-Plated/dp/B01MQGPFFC Amazon.com: Sabrent 4K@60HZ Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt 2) to HDMI Adapter, but I have only tested it with a SY NUC. I will see if I can test it with a RY NUC tomorrow...

Hope this helps,

...S

OGefe
Beginner

Thanks for the quick response!

Please update if you have any success... i'll try ordering a cable if it's working.

n_scott_pearson

I was finally able to set up this experiment today. Using the same 4K@60Hz-capable mDP-to-HDMI adapter that allows me to achieve 4K@60Hz with my SY NUC, I was only able to achieve 4K@30Hz with my RY NUC.

This result does not jive with the information Intel included here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005571/mini-pcs.html Setting Up Multiple Displays for the Intel® NUC. It is unclear (to me) where the problem lies. Is it a mistake on the web page? Is it a problem with this adapter? I have a query into Intel regarding this...

I will let you know when I get a response...

...S

OGefe
Beginner

Hello,

so i got this Sabrent adapter, from mDP to HDMI, says 4k @ 60hz on it.

im using it with an HDMI cable that was tested to work 4k @ 60hz with my laptop and the monitor i have, but with the NUC it fail to reach 60hz, it only allows me 4k@30hz, no option for 60hz.

Maybe a direct cable mDP to DP that support 4k@60hz could work... I'm not sure yet.

No idea how TechHoarder got it to work. 

I also wonder if i even want to work on this NUC with 4K... do you guys think it runs it smoothly enough, not talking about games, just normal desktop, web browsing, youtube etc...
idata
Community Manager

Hello Ohad,

I would like to do further research about this issue.

Please run the DxDiag tool. Follow the steps below:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Wanner G.
n_scott_pearson

Ohad,

I see the same thing. The Sabrent 4K@60Hz mDP-to-HDMI adapter that I use on my SY NUC to achieve 4K@60Hz only lets me achieve 4K@30Hz on the RY NUC.

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello Ohad,

I would like to do further research about this issue.

Please run the following report with your monitor connected to your Intel® NUC5i7RYH.

1. Right click on the Desktop, and click on Graphics Properties.

2. Click Options and Support, and then click Information Center.

3. Click on Save (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report.

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Also, what is your monitor model?

Wanner G.
n_scott_pearson

No, Jonathan, you are not!

The DP-to-HDMI IC that is used to support the HDMI connector on the RY NUCs is only HDMI 1.4b compliant. It simply does not have the bandwidth required to support 4K@60Hz. It only has the bandwidth to support 2K@60Hz or 1080p@60Hz monitors.

The only NUCs that have a DP-to-HDMI IC that is HDMI 2.0 compliant (and thus can support 4K@60Hz via their HDMI connector(s)) are the (6th gen) KY and the (7th gen) BN and DN NUCs. All other NUCs that have a chance of supporting 4K@60Hz can do so via only their mDP connector. I have confirmed that this is possible with the (6th gen) SY NUCs, but have so far failed to do so with the (5th gen) RY NUCs (and I presume that the same will occur with the MY NUCs).

This has been confirmed by the NUC Development Team.

...S

n_scott_pearson

Ohad,

The development team has verified that, if they connect a DP monitor, they can achieve full 4K@60Hz operation. Their test of an active DP-to-HDMI2.0 adapter similarly yielded only 4K@30Hz operation, however. It may be that the adapters that we are using are the problem and that others may work, but I can't say with any certainty.

...S

JWall14
Beginner

I did not mean to give bad info. My monitor was in fact mini DP to DP.

n_scott_pearson

That's Ok - and sorry I responded so strongly, but I wanted to make sure that no one walks away thinking that it will work. Way too often, a misstatement or a rumor will become "fact" once repeated a few times and we really don't need the extra complaints when someone discovers it is actually not true (after spending an extra US$45 on some fancy cable or dongle or something similar).

...S

JWall14
Beginner

I am right now running 2 LG 4K monitors side by side on a NUC5i7RYH, one with mini DP to DP, and the other with mini HDMI to HDMI.

The main monitor is running 3840 x 2160 60p Hz

The 2nd monitor is running 3840 x 2160 30p Hz

AvanS2
Beginner

In the end yes it can support 3840x2160@60hz with current graphics driver, BIOS and by using a custom resolution. This is working on an Alogic miniDP1.2 to HDMI 2.0 adaptor, wasn’t working until I updated the BIOS.