Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KGORL
Beginner

Does the NUC6i7KYK HDMI port support the Display Data Channel (DDC)?

I have connected an NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitor to an NUC6i7KYK via the HDMI port and an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. NEC's SpectraView calibration software reports "Unable to communicate with any supported display monitors". NEC tech support claims that this is because the NUC6i7KYK does not support the Display Data Channel (DDC) signal. Is this correct?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

Thank you for contacting us, I understand that you want to inquire on the DDC support for our Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK.

In this case, the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK that you own, comes with a Intel® Core™ i7-6770HQ Processor, that works along with our Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580 Graphics controller, as you can check here:

https://ark.intel.com/products/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK https://ark.intel.com/products/89187/Intel-NUC-Kit-NUC6i7KYK

Based on this, the Intel® Graphics Drivers for our Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580, support the VESA Display Data Channel/Command Interface (DDC/CI) across a DVI, HDMI*, VGA, or DisplayPort* connection.

You will find all the details about it here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007175/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000007175/graphics-drivers.html

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

KGORL
Beginner

I have connected an NEC LCD2490WUXi2 monitor to an NUC6i7KYK via the HDMI port and an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. NEC's SpectraView calibration software reports "Unable to communicate with any supported display monitors". NEC tech support claims that this is because the NUC6i7KYK does not support the Display Data Channel (DDC) signal.

NEC's SpectraView calibration software is able to communicate with this same monitor, HDMI cable, and DVI-D adapter when connected to the Intel HD 530 graphics on an i7 6700K. Is the HD 530 API for DDC/CI the same as that for the Iris™ Pro Graphics 580? I.e., should the same software work on both? Any other ideas as to what the problem may be, or how to diagnose? Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

Thank you for your response.

In this case yes, both Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 580 and Intel® HD Graphics 530 share the same support for DDC along with other 30+ graphic controllers that cover a huge list of Processors.

In this case, in response to NEC* tech's support statement, your unit does support DDC.

Regarding their software, we strongly recommend you to make sure that you have their latest firmware, and to check the release notes of it, so you can check the minimum system requirements in order to run it.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards.

Diego S.

KGORL
Beginner

I updated the BIOS to KYSKLi70.86A and the graphics driver to 24.20.100.6025 and installed the latest version (v1.1.37) of NEC's SpectraView II software. It still fails with an "Unable to communicate ..." error. NEC claims that the problem is that the NUC6i7KYK does not support *two way* communication with the monitor via DDC/CI, so SpectraView is unable to write calibration data to the monitor. Is NEC's claim correct?

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

We will research further on your case so we can gather on the DDC two way communication features.

This will cause a brief delay between our answers; however I will reach you back as soon as we have news.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

Thank you for your patience.

In this case, as we previously shared, based to the CPU datasheet, HDMI supports two ways DDC between HDMI source and HDMI sink.

We strongly recommend testing different video outputs as SpectraView* II user guide recommends using DP or DVI. HDMI usage may cause issues as you can check here:

https://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Compatibility https://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Compatibility

As well please check Quantization Range in your Graphics Control panel:

Right click on desktop

Click on Graphic properties

Click Display - scroll to Quantization Range - set it to "Full Range" and let us know the outcome.

If possible, test the Thunderbolt* port (it has DisplayPort* lines) instead of the HDIM*.

Also, we recommend to avoid the adapter usage but to use direct cables instead.

In addition, please check the USB connection to make sure that everything is set up properly.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

KGORL
Beginner

I cannot find a Quantization Range setting.

An adapter must be used because the NEC monitor has only DVI inputs and the NUC has only HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, and Thunderbolt 3 outputs. So I'd need to replace the HDMI-to-DVI adapter I'm using with either a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI or Thunderbolt 3-to-DVI adapter. Is that likely to fix the problem? Note that the video signal is OK and that HDMI DDC works when the monitor is connected to an i7 6700K PC, so the HDMI cable and HDMI-to-DVI adapter are OK.

The NEC monitor does not have a USB connection.

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

In this case, yes, Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI or Thunderbolt 3-to-DVI could work, however we do not guarantee full compatibility through third part adapters.

As shared by NEC's* support the HDMI usage may cause issues.

As well, if you do not see the Quantization Range on the control panel, is because the monitor does not support that feature.

I hope this helps.

Best regards.

Diego S.

KGORL
Beginner

I'm still confused.

If the DVI adapter and HDMI cable I'm using work OK to connect the NEC monitor to my i7 6700K system, why would they not work with the Intil NUC? What is the difference between the HDMI provided by the i7 6700K and the NUC?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

There will likely be differences in the LSPcon ICs that are used on the board to convert from the processor's DisplayPort output to some level of HDMI output. Requirements for cables and adapters will be different depending upon targeted HDMI mode (1.4 vs. 2.0 vs. 2.0a, etc.).

...S

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415,

We just wanted to double check if you still need further assistance.

Please do not hesitate on contacting us back.

Best Regards,

Diego S.

KGORL
Beginner

I Just tried the NEC monitor with Thunderbolt/DVI and DisplayPort/DVI adapter cables. The DisplayPort connection works OK, but Thunderbolt (and HDMI) do not.

idata
Community Manager

Hello kg415

I totally understand, in this case as specified before we do not guarantee compatibility when it comes about the usage of adapters/dongles.

We strongly to stick to the DisplayPort, which is in this case the one that works without any further issues.

I hope this helps.

Diego S.