Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
Announcements
Do you have improvements you would like us to make on this community site? If so, we would love to hear your feedback! Click here for an 8 question survey. Thanks!

11456 Discussions

Drive selection for Skull Canyon (NUC6i7KYK)

SDysa
Beginner

I have my Skylake NUC on order and trying to finalize my m.2 drive choice. Not using it for gaming but as a power PC & for entertainment.

Option 1. Go for the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVME (512G) for it's blazing synthetic benchmark performance.

or for a few dollars more

Option 2. Throw in a lower cost RAID of 2 Samsung 850 EVO SATA III (1TB total).

Trade-offs:

Option 1 -- Start fast with room to add a drive in the future as prices fall. Keep it simple.

Option 2 -- Recoup some of the performance given vs. option 1 and get twice the storage space today. This will add some complexity with double the risk of a failure. Also any further storage growth would have to hang off the box or be an expensive throw-away.

My questions?

1. The 950 Pro has great specs and test results, but my impression is that it quickly breaks into a sweat and throttles down to avoid overheating. Is that what you have seen or does the airflow in the NUC keep it sprinting for a several minutes at a time?

2. Performance prediction. Some have said the real world performance increase on a single user PC from SATA to NVME may be only around 15% better (rather than 3-4 times). This may because queue depth is typically l-2 not 32 and a lot of I/O involves small files, I am concerned I really won't drive the 950 hard enough to be worth it, especially if it always throttles down. Is it reasonable to extrapolate that option 2 might actually perform better than 1?

3. Given the 'some assembly required' nature of the NUC (I will build up with Windows 7 then upgrade to 10) did configuring an array just add a few steps or represent a painful hurdle?

Other thoughts?
0 Kudos
9 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I would recommend choosing the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 because this one has been tested with this Intel® NUC and it works fine.

You can see the SSD and M.2 compatibility list here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000020804.html

The Samsung 850 EVO is not on the compatibility list, so we cannot guarantee that it will work fine.

Best wishes,

Ivan

RKeni
New Contributor II

What is the trick to get the Samsung 950 Pro to be recognized by Windows 7 on the NUC6i7KYK during install?

EOcho1
New Contributor I

Use 10 media to install, give it 7 key. It should work.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yes, it should work - but you need to have the TH2 (or later) release of the ISO file in order to use Windows 7/8/8.1 keys. If your ISO file is from before December of 2015, I suggest you download a new one...

SKell7
New Contributor III

Frankly, I would choose the cheapest SSD available (within reason) with the biggest storage available. I may be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but I don't think you will actually notice a difference between a mid-range SATA SSD such as the Sandisk X400 (M.2 using SATA not PCIe, 1 TB available for pretty cheap) and a high-end one such as the 950 Pro. I know that you can measure the difference and the 950 Pro is extremely high performant and all, but I don't think you can actually feel the difference while normally using the computer. Not even for gaming etc.

AThom16
New Contributor II

Samsung m.2 950 pro is working great for me. Windows 10 device manager is showing a driver from 2006 though.

OOrke
Beginner

I have installed Samsung 950 Pro m.2 NVME (512GB) in a Skull Canyon but it spontaneously reboots. It still does. (So for me as a customer the matter is not closed.)

As mentioned in

And this rebooting is related to "Samsung NVMe drives" so how does this add up to

" I would recommend choosing the Samsung 950 Pro m.2 because this one has been tested with this Intel® NUC and it works fine." said earlier in this topic?

idata
Community Manager

Try to do a firmware update for you SSD, you will need to contact your SSD manufacturer to get help how to do a firmware update on you SSD.

Please let me know if that works for you.

Regards,

Ivan

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I'm just following on this thread to ask you if your issue was resolved with the information provided above or if you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Ivan