Intel® NUCs
Assistance in Intel® NUC products
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience has changed to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
12981 Discussions

Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with existing BIOS ROMID

casperghst42
Novice

Hi,

I'm trying to update the bios on my NUC8v5PNK, but I'm running into problems no matter what I do.

I finally was able to capture the error using the UEFI update:

"4 - Error: ROM file ROMID is not compatible with the existing BIOS ROMID"

I am trying to update to PNWHL57v

ID: 19517

Date: 5/9/2022

Version: 0047 (Latest).

Current Bios version: PNWHL57v 0039.2020.0722.1503

What is wrong, and how can I recover from this?

Thank you,

Casper

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have seen borderline incompatible memory cause issues with BIOS update operations. Do you have access to an alternative set of SODIMM(s) that you could install while trying the BIOS update? Alternatively, run with only one of the existing SODIMMs installed (in this case, if it still fails, try running with the other SODIMM).

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

8 Replies
casperghst42
Novice

And a small update, when I try to update to 0040 I get:

"c1 - Error: BIOS return error, when trying to re-flash ME Firmware data."

Hope it can help.

AndrewG_Intel

Hello @casperghst42

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We understand that you are trying to update the BIOS using versions 0040 and 0047. Just to make sure, are you trying to update the BIOS from the EFI Shell using the UEFI Shell BIOS update method and the file "PNWHL357.0047.UEFI.zip"?

Have you tried using different BIOS update methods? Please provide details:

In case you haven't tried it yet, we recommend updating using the .CAP file:

1- Download the BIOS Update version 0040 using the .CAP file "pn0040.cap".

2- Follow the F7 Update method to install the update. Refer to the BIOS Update Instructions.

3- If the update is successful, reboot the Intel® NUC and now you can try to update to the latest version 0047.

4- Download the BIOS Update version 0047 using the .CAP file "PNv0047.CAP".

5- Follow one more time the F7 Update method to install the latest update.

Please let us know the outcome of the steps.

If the behavior persists, please provide (if possible) screenshots of the issues/error messages and run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system:

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

casperghst42
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

Thank you for your response.

I have tried the following 3 methods:

- F7 bios update

- UEFI bios update

- Security Jumper bios update

And they all fail, it is only with the UEFI bios update I get (see) an error message.

I use the Windows update as the NUC runs Linux and not Windows.

The reason why I tried both the 0047 and 0040 was to verify if there was something wrong with the downloaded file, which it turns out there wasn't.

I will find a different disk and install Windows on it, so that I can run the SSU - that will take a few days (hopefully have it done by Sunday).

Thank you,

Best regards,

Casper

AndrewG_Intel

Hello casperghst42

Thank you for your response.

Please allow us to review this further and we will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available.

Also, since the behavior occurs using different update methods and the system is running Linux, we can skip for now the request for the Intel® SSU report. In case we need more details, we will be posting to guide you on how to collect specific information from the operating system (Linux).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

casperghst42
Novice

Hello @AndrewG_Intel 

Please find attached the ssu.txt you asked for.

And now that I have Windows on the NUC I tried the Windows Bios updater which also failed.

Best regards,

Casper

n_scott_pearson

I have seen borderline incompatible memory cause issues with BIOS update operations. Do you have access to an alternative set of SODIMM(s) that you could install while trying the BIOS update? Alternatively, run with only one of the existing SODIMMs installed (in this case, if it still fails, try running with the other SODIMM).

Hope this helps,

...S

casperghst42
Novice

Thank you @n_scott_pearson that did it. I swapped in some memory from an macmini (which also have been replaced by 32gb Crusial), and the bios updated without a hitch.

Thanks.

n_scott_pearson

Yea, the reason for this is complicated. During POST, the BIOS initializes memory and then proceeds to try and use it. If the initialization fails (for example, for some specific XMP profile), the memory bus(es) will hang. When this occurs, a timer resets the processor to get it going again. The BIOS detects that this kind of reset has occurred and will try to use a lower speed memory initialization (for example, backing off to a base configuration (like 2133MHz)). In most cases, this will work and BIOS POST will quietly continue from there (to the user, it will just seem like BIOS POST took a little longer to execute). For most situations, this is just fine, but not when doing a BIOS update. In this case, the BIOS update will be forgotten completely (to the user, feeling like the system simply rebooted instead of performing the BIOS update) or, if the update had reached a certain point, it will fail with some strange error (as you have seen).

I hate memory compatibility issues,

...S