Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

External RAID setup question for NUC7 i5 BNK

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm running Windows 10 on my NUC7 i5 BNK, this is my HTPC and I'm using Kodi for media playback. Hi-Res audio and HD video are playing from HDMI to my AV receiver.

I'd like to create a mirrored RAID for my media storage, and I'd like to have 10 to 12TB of usable space, and be able to expand in the future.

I'm not at all familiar with RAID on Windows. I've used RAID on an old QNAP NAS, but I'm not sure what my options are for RAID on my NUC.

So, I'm thinking of something like a 4-bay external enclosure, using Thunderbolt 3 to connect to the NUC. This way I could start with 2 drives in RAID 1, and be able to switch to RAID 10 down the road by adding 2 more drives.

I've seen enclosures that are described as RAID enclosures. I guess these have the RAID controllers built in. But is it preferable to use Windows 10 for RAID control? Can Windows 10 create a RAID using a 4-bay Thunderbolt enclosure?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Bob

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team, BobAudioGuy. I will do my best to assist you further.

If you are planning you use an external enclosure in order to create a Raid Array on your system, I recommend you first to take a look at the http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC# Intel® Product Compatibility Tool. In this tool, you will be able to see the enclosures that have been tested on this NUC.

Then, RAID enclosures will have its own RAID controller, therefore, it will include its own software to control your array from Windows* as a result, it is preferable to use the enclosure's software to create and manage the RAID Array.

I hope this answers your questions.

Antony S.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Thank you very much for taking the time to reach the Intel Communities Team, BobAudioGuy. I will do my best to assist you further.

If you are planning you use an external enclosure in order to create a Raid Array on your system, I recommend you first to take a look at the http://compatibleproducts.intel.com/ProductDetails?activeModule=Intel%C2%AE%20NUC# Intel® Product Compatibility Tool. In this tool, you will be able to see the enclosures that have been tested on this NUC.

Then, RAID enclosures will have its own RAID controller, therefore, it will include its own software to control your array from Windows* as a result, it is preferable to use the enclosure's software to create and manage the RAID Array.

I hope this answers your questions.

Antony S.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Antony,

Thanks for the info and the link. Unfortunately I don't see any Thunderbolt 3 RAID arrays on the compatible list. But it's good to know that a unit with a built-in RAID controller is preferable to using Windows software for RAID control. I'll look further into Thunderbolt 3 RAID enclosures, and I'll check with the manufacturer about compatibility.

0 Kudos