Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12337 Discussions

External drives/USB mounting issues on Nuc11 i5

M_M
Beginner

Hi,

I am currently having a lot of problems with external USB drive mounting. 

I have several external storage devices, none of which will mount reliably on my nuc.

The problem is somewhat intermittent, in that the drives will work from time to time, but it is rare that they do.

It is not only in Windows but also during boot, the nuc will simply not recognise a USB stick with a Windows installation on it, both on restart or cold boot. 

But as above, it does work sometimes... but there is no pattern I can establish. 

The drives I have been trying to use are a regular USB thumb drive in a USB port, and an Nvme drive in an external USB C enclosure - connected to the TB3 ports of the nuc.

I have attempted a BIOS rollback, but this did not resolve the issue. 

When the drives do mount I seem to be able to unmount them and remount them without issue. However, if I try to transfer a 6GB file from the drive to the desktop, the transfer freezes and the drives return to not being able to mount.

All drives I am testing work without issue on another Windows laptop, and also connect to OSX without any problems whatsoever. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

M_M, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the complete model of the Intel® NUC?

Is this a new Intel® NUC?

When did you purchase it?

How many external storage devices are you connecting to the Intel® NUC?

What is the model of each of them?

What is the model of the USB-C enclosure? 

Was this same configuration working fine before on this same Intel® NUC?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91...

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

M_M
Beginner

Thanks, I'm away for a couple of weeks, so I'll answer these questions when I get back. 

Leoborec
Beginner

Hi, Same problem here.  Intel NUC Kit NUC8i7BEH. I have huge problems with all Samsung SSD T5 external drives.  USB 3.1 Gen2. Original cables.  I have several drives, different capacities 250GB, 500GB and 1TB.   Drives can't connect.  Both Front USB Ports USB-A to USB-C. Sometimes after repeatedly disconnecting and reconnecting the drive will connect, but the write speed is very slow. Other times, the writing ends with an IO error.  But if I connect the same disk to the monitor USB port it connects right away (only  with 40MB write speed)  with MACbook pro USB-C to USB-C cable or diferent computer the discs work perfectly. The problem has been for a long time about more 2 months. But not from the beginning. The drives were working normally before. I'm 100% sure something is wrong with the Intel NUC USB connection or IO drivers or i dont know but I'm getting very flustered. Please help me to get my NUC working again as before.

Alberto_R_Intel

M_M, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

Perfect, no problem at all, the thread will remain open for as long as you need it and we will gladly continue providing our assistance on this topic once you get the chance.

Leoborec, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Please submit your inquiry on a new thread, the reason for this is that every scenario is different even if the same product is being used, so for us to better assist you and in order to try to fix the problem, please submit a new thread:

https://communities.intel.com/community/tech

Let me apologize for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Leoborec, Thank you for sharing that information.

Perfect, an Intel® agent will further assist you in there as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel

Hello M_M, I just wanted to check if you still need assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

M_M
Beginner
Hi, I only just got back to the country today, I'll be able to look at this in the next few days.
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello M_M, Since we have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Regards,

Albert R.

M_M
Beginner

Hi,

Upon testing the NUC Board again I have been unable to replicate the issue. For now I will assume this issue closed.