Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DThor5
Beginner

Failing to install Thunderbolt3 on Skull Canyon

When I am trying to install thunderbolt 3 drivers, the setup application fails by telling me that the setup and ended prematurely. Installing a FW update foe TB3 does not work, since the tool displays that no thunderbolt devices can be found. I am trying to install the latest version. TB3 controller is enabled in the BIOS and i am running version 60.

Any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
SChau10
New Contributor II

Before installing Thunderbolt 3 driver, a TB3 device needs to be attached to the NUC TB3/USB-C port with a TB3 cable. This is because the TB3 controller device node is not visible to Windows OS when no TB3 device is plugged into the TB3 port, so the TB3 driver fails to install against hardware that is not present. I believe the same holds true for the TB3 firmware update utility.

After plugging in a TB3 device, e.g. TB3 dock, display, storage, the TB3 controller should initially show up in Windows Device Manager as "Base Device". Running the TB3 driver installer show then work. Ditto for the TB3 FW update utility.

DThor5
Beginner

Does not work either. I tried different cables, one original TB3 cable and a USB-C cable. The TB3 controller still does shows up in device manager, and when I install the driver again. I still got the message the that installation stop prematurely.

LeonWaksman
Super User

@SChau10​ 

There is no requirement (any more) to have device connected to TB3/USB-C port. I have updated both driver (controller) and the Thunderbolt firmware in NUC8i7HVK without any device connected.

Leon

DThor5
Beginner

Thats correct, on my other NUC 8i7BEH, I don't have any problems.

SChau10
New Contributor II

I stand corrected. The Thunderbolt driver package installer (setup.msi) does run on a NUC8i7BEH without any Thunderbolt device attached to the port.

As an alternative to running the setup.msi, try right-clicking the "Base System Device" in Device Manager and select "Update driver", then "Browse my computer for driver software", then "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer", select "System devices" from the list, click the "Have Disk" button, then "Browse" button and navigate to the folder carrying the extracted Thunderbolt drivers, specifically tbt100x.inf. This method should get the Thunderbolt driver installed just like running setup.msi.

DThor5
Beginner

I did that already, and the TB device will disappear from the list of devices. I also re-installed the service by using the sc create command. Still does not work. Think I will try to reinstall Windows and start over

SChau10
New Contributor II

That's a good move. If you can install clean Windows 10 into another SSD to test with your NUC6i7KYK, this should help your determine whether the Thunderbolt trouble follows the specific Windows installation in your current SSD.

LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @DThor5​ 

I got similar problem in the past. I've checked the Device Manager and founded that one item "Base Device" has exclamation mark. I've ran the Thunderbolt Driver installer (setup.msi) and chosen to uninstall the Thunderbolt Driver. Then I've reinstalled the Thunderbolt driver. From now, the Firmware Update tool worked correctly and the firmware was successfully updated.

Leon

MLevi
Valued Contributor I

Make sure to "approve attached devices" from within the Thunderbolt utility, if you have any, once you update/install.

image.png

DThor5
Beginner

I did that, and for a few seconds the Thunderbolt controller showed up, and is not in the list of devices anymore. For some reason, the setup.msi marked the thunderbolt service for deletion. I cannot start the service, because there is none anymore . When I run the setup again, I receive a message that the setup has ended prematurely.

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DThor5 On the Intel® NUC 6 generation it is require to have a thunderbolt device at the time of installing the firmware, you can try to run the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/128824/Intel-Driver-Support-Assistant-Intel-DSA-) to make sure you system is up to date and then complete the firmware update for the Thunderbolt if this does not work you can contact your local Intel customer support by phone or chat for warranty options. Reference link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.htm Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DThor5 Have you tried the steps provided? Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DThor5
Beginner

Yes, I tried the above steps, and I receive the following error messages. I also updated to BIO v61 without any success.

t3.pngt2.pngt1.png

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DThor5 Thank you for the information. At this point and after all the troubleshooting performed I recommend contacting your local Intel customer support by phone or chat for warranty options. Reference link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support.htm Hope this helps. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DThor5
Beginner

Hello

I did some additional test and replaced my current SSD with a spare one. After installing Windows 10 and applying all updates I was able to install the Thunderbolt driver. So, my conclusion is that it is not hardware related, but rather software.

Thanks all for your support

regards

Leonardo_C_Intel

Hello DThor5 I am glad to know that after the clean install of the operating system (OS) the firmware was completed successfully. Regards, Leonardo C. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation