Intel® NUCs
Support for Intel® NUC products
12528 Discussions

Fan issues on the Intel NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK

garyyo
Beginner

The fan on my NUC Kit NUC6i7KYK is grinding and otherwise very loud. I know this product is discontinued. The support article on Intel's site here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000027667/intel-nuc/intel-nuc-kits.html implies the there is or was some sort of fan replacement option for out of warranty products. 

"Option 1: Receive and install a new fan.

You can request a replacement fan kit and replace the fan yourself. Review the fan replacement instructions before deciding on this option.

Submit a support ticket to request a fan replacement kit (part number 1323-00U9000)."

I did submit a support ticket as per the article which was unceremoniously closed referencing the  product I has inquired about was discontinued without any explanation about the support article.

So, is the fan replacement still an option from Intel or is the article inaccurate or outdated?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
garyyo
Beginner

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I ended up removing the fan from the NUC6i7KYK, opening it up and putting a couple drops of sewing machine lubricant in it. The noise is gone and the fan appears to be working perfectly.

I still do not understand why Intel has this article on their website that says it will replace fans. The article has a review date of after the discontinuance note date of the NUC6i7KYK product.....

Thanks again, much appreciate your help.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

You may find a replacement fan on Amazon or may be a chipper option on Ebay/Aliexpress.

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Once Intel reached the discontinuance point for this model, the stock of blowers was essentially gone. As Leon said, there are options for purchasing a replacement blower (it is a stock (not custom) part and the manufacturer's part number is on the blower) - and he meant 'cheaper' if that confused you ;^)

...S

LeonWaksman
Super User

Right, I meant "cheaper". Thank you Scott. Oh, my English!

Leon

garyyo
Beginner

Thanks to both of you for the responses. I ended up removing the fan from the NUC6i7KYK, opening it up and putting a couple drops of sewing machine lubricant in it. The noise is gone and the fan appears to be working perfectly.

I still do not understand why Intel has this article on their website that says it will replace fans. The article has a review date of after the discontinuance note date of the NUC6i7KYK product.....

Thanks again, much appreciate your help.