Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KHind1
Beginner

Fastener m2x3l-screw won't budge

Hi, I just purchased a new NUC Hades canyon but today when I received it and was going to install new memory/sdd I ran into trouble due to the m2x3l-screw holding the plate in place seems to be completely stuck (almost fused). Whoever tightened that screw in the manufacturing line did a really good job of it, it's stuck for good now.

It feels ridiculous to be prevented to use a new product because of a tiny little screw not wanting to budge but I'm not going to use brute force on a new expensive computer. Has anyone else had any experience with this? (I've heard about the rubber-band trick but this screw is way too tiny for that to work).

m2x3screw.PNG

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Use one size larger Phillips screw driver and press hard as you turn it and you should be able to get it freed up.

...S

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KHind1, If the issue persists, and the unit is brand new (within 30 days of the original invoice date), we recommend contacting the place of purchase for warranty options. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
KHind1
Beginner

Well I just got my replacement unit and it had the exact same issue - That little screw is completely impossible to unscrew and I've watched every demostration video I've been able to find on youtube yo ensure I do it correctly and it still doesn't work. What were you guys thinking putting that crappy m2x3l there? Now the second screw is stripped and I'm left with another unusable (and very expensive) brick of component. I've never felt so annoyed at a product I've bought before in my life.mex3l.PNG

For reference I followed this guy's instructions exactly at 03:46:

https://youtu.be/iJdDA_wFYpA

Wanner_G_Intel

Hello KHind1, I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with these units. Although this is not a common issue with these Intel® NUC kits, your feedback is highly appreciated. When dealing with these devices, the right type of screwdriver should be used. The screwdriver is probably too narrow. At this point, contacting the place of purchase seems to be the right solution. However, you can also take the unit to a Computer Repair Shop to see if they can help you with this issue. I am including the User guide so that you can see that the steps to install the main components required to run this device are very straight-forward. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/mini-pcs/NUC8i7HxK-UserGuide.pdf If you have any further questions, we will be glad to assist you. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
KHind1
Beginner

Hi,

I appreciate the answers and I'm sorry if I seem upset but it's been extremely frustrating to have to deal with support and having to first wait in phone queues and then wait for them to send out a replacement unit, only to end up having the same exact same issues again. Thank you for the link but the manual came along in the box and I have checked it. Maybe I've been particularly unfortunate but I do think that screw is a design flaw and it should have been made more easily accessible. I've never had any problems with screws in my computers before and I've assembled quite a few of them myself. I guess it will be another round of trying to get hold of support and getting them to send me a another replacement unit.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If those are the screw drivers that you are using, they are both too small!

KHind1
Beginner

Hi, you may have noticed that one of the screwdrivers in the picture uses replaceable bits. I bought a whole set just to be able to try out every type of size imagineable on that particular screw. So I have already tried using larger sizes bits/drivers. It still won't budge and you only have a couple of tries before the screw starts stripping. Considering that unfastening that screw is something you have to do to get the unit working I think the manufacturers made a really poor choice by using such a cheap quality material for that part. To put things in perspective i recently had to replace the battery in my current Dell laptop and it uses even smaller screws and I had to unfasten 11 of them to get to the battery and none of those caused any trouble whatsoever:

dellscrews.PNG