cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JClay
Beginner

Freezing When Installing OS

NUC 5CPYH

My NUC ran Ubuntu Linux for a year. I just tried to install the latest version of the OS. At different times throughout the install the NUC with freeze up. Everything just pauses on the screen and nothing is responsive. I notice sometimes the mouse / keyboard lights turn off. There is no crash. I've updated the BIOS. I've tried different hard drives. I've done memory tests. I'm not sure how to figure out why a NUC is freezing.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello JimBrenn,

Thank you for joining the Intel Communities.

In order to help you better I would like to gather more information about the configuration you have in the computer.

May I have the part number of the RAM memory you are using?

Since Ubuntu* worked fine for a year, do you currently have and old version of the operating system installed on the hard drive and working?

May I have the Ubuntu* version you had installed before and also the version you are trying to install now?

May I have the BIOS version that is currently installed in the computer?

Besides the keyboard, mouse and drive, do you have anything else connected to the computer?

Regards,

Fred D.
JClay
Beginner

RAM p/n: CT102464BF

Unfortunately, I don't have the .iso for the last version of Security Onion ( which is built on Ubuntu) is from 2017. I figured that I could always get the latest, and after years of keeping versions deleted it. I've written over the old version on the hard drive as well.

The version of Ubuntu is: 16.04

The old version of onion was 16.4.4.1. The latest if 16.4.5.1.

BIOS: 0074

Attachments have varied from usb cd drive, and/or usb flash drive for boot/installation.

idata
Community Manager

Hello JimBrenn,

Thanks for the additional information.

I am assuming that when you said you tried different hard drives you did is a clean installation of Ubuntu*.

Have you by any chance tried installing Windows* to see if you get different behavior like a blue screen of death? This is just an optional step.

If possible try resetting the BIOS to default, and then try reinstalling Ubuntu* again. You can reset the BIOS settings to default by turning on the computer and keep tapping on the F2 key. Once you are in the BIOS press F9 to load defaults, in the confirmation select "Yes", press F10, in the confirmation select "Yes".

You may also try checking with the Ubuntu* Community if there is any other troubleshooting step you can try https://ubuntuforums.org/ https://ubuntuforums.org/

Regards,

Fred D.
idata
Community Manager

Hello JimBrenn,

I was wondering if you still need assistance regarding the Linux* installation. In case you still need assistance just let me know.

Regards,

Fred D.