cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JDoe9
Beginner

GPU Passthrough again....

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how and if to do GPU Passthrough, on a NUC7i3.

I think this is more a generic problem with the Intel HD Graphics 620 and Derivates on Core i CPUs than a problem specific to the NUC.

I came over this post, which makes me a bit unhappy:

Question was: Does the Hardware Support GPU Passthrough into a VM?

Answer reads like: Ask the VM Manufacturer, because we don't know what our hardware is capeable of! (sorry for the sarcasm)

So lets work on that Passthrough, I am using KVM on Linux here, but I guess its the same on XEN and ESX:

As soon as I try to pass the GPU over to the Guest (linux because that is a bit more debug friendly) it tells me: "Failed to Find VBIOS Tables (VBT)" My best shot as of now is that those tables are coded somewhere in the VBIOS PCI Rom, and thats the tricky part.

For GPU Passthrough this PCI Rom is read out, and copied to the Memory of the VM, so the VM can access the Information. If I try to read the VBios PCI Rom of an Intel HD Graphics Board I get a big file containing 0xff Bytes. It is possible to provide a rom to the virtualization, if there is any.

Can the Hardware do PCI Passthrough? Is it worth going through all this?

Is it possible to obtain a working copy of a VBios PCI Rom, if we can extract one out of the system, which tool can we use?

regards

Hans

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello rankuntil

Thank you for joining the community.

Could you let us know the specific model of the Intel® NUC that you have? While I start looking into the case

Regards,

Leonardo C.

JDoe9
Beginner

It is a NUC7i3BNK or it will be as soon as the exchange arrives, tomorrow.

I made the Mistake to activate CSM in UEFI, during a xen testinstallation and it looks

as it is bricked now.

But I also have an O.E.M./APL-NUC/J3455 here which seems to have the same problem with gpu passthrough

regards

Hans

idata
Community Manager

Hello rankuntil

Thank for your response and the information provided,

To clarify for O.E.M./APL-NUC/J3455 you are referring to the Intel® NUC Kit NUC6CAYH that id presenting the same situation?

Could you let us know the Linux version of the operating system that you are using on the NUCs?

The NUC7i3BNK is currently working for you?

Regards,

Leonardo C.

idata
Community Manager

Hello rankuntil

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.